Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

After a month of deciding between the Nikon D50 and the KM 5D, i finally ended up getting the KM 5D...i really like the higher ISO and image stabilization...now i need a good prime lens or two...or a good zoom?

The camera is going to be used primarily in low light situations....rock concerts, where i will Not be using flash. And i probably won't be in real close to the stage so i am really in a quandry about what lenses i should be looking for.

at a local pawn shop there is a Minolta AF 75 300 4.5/5.6 zoom, in almost new condition that i can get for $50. Is this a good lens?

Any suggestions would really be helpful! Thanks!!

Clazy Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:22 PM   #2

There are quite a few Minolta 75-300mm lenses. If you can get this lense

then 50$ is a steal. This lense is called "Gro├čes Ofenrohr" (= big stovepipe) in Germany. It is from Minolta's legendary "heavy metal" series.
As far as concert photography is concerned, the two Minolta 50mm lenses are the first choice. If you have much money to spend you may also look at the 85mm/1.4G. The 100mm/2.0 is another good idea for concerts. The best lense for available light photography in general is the Sigma 20mm/1.8 followed by the Minolta 28mm/2.0. Because the Sigma has a wide angle you can select very low shutter speeds. In general the KM 7D is more suitable for low light photography, because when the lense is wide open you have often to use manual focusing and then the superior viewfinder of the 7D really thrives.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Clazy Daze wrote:
Quote:
The camera is going to be used primarily in low light situations....rock concerts, where i will Not be using flash. And i probably won't be in real close to the stage so i am really in a quandry about what lenses i should be looking for.
What kind of rock concerts? Are we talking small clubs or larger auditoriums? Give us a better idea of lighting and distance to the stage. "won't be in real close" doesn't give me a sense of scale.

I've got the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 for primes.

But, in some of the candle lit clubs around here, shutter speeds are on the slow side with most of these, even at higher ISO speeds. For closer quarters in very low light, I'd look at the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC lens. Retailers should be getting them in soon in Minolta mount. A Minolta 35mm f/1.4 would also work.

A 50mm f/1.4 might not be a bad idea, either. I've got the 50mm f/1.7.

Next up in focal length if you're further away would be the 85mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2. I've got the 100mm f/2 and it's an excellent lens. The 85mm is a stop brighter.

Then, comes the 135mm f/2.8 and longer lenses. My 135mm f/2.8 is a pretty good lens. But, my 100mm f/2 is sharper wide open. If you need something longer than that, chances are you're in an auditorium with better stage lighting anyway and you could get away with a bright zoom. But, be advised that some venues won't allow a camera if it looks too professional.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:33 PM   #4

Jim the concerts i am going to are in larger auditoriums...and they have been really good about letting "pro" cameras in, as long as they do Not use flash. Generallyi am about75-100 feet from the stage. Hope that helps!

kassandro, that DOES look like the lens that we have here! Looks like i have at least one new lens now! Thank You for the info!!

Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:57 PM   #5

Clazy Daze wrote:
Quote:
Jim the concerts i am going to are in larger auditoriums...and they have been really good about letting "pro" cameras in, as long as they do Not use flash. Generallyi am about75-100 feet from the stage. Hope that helps!

kassandro, that DOES look like the lens that we have here! Looks like i have at least one new lens now! Thank You for the info!!

If you didn't take it at that price, I was going to ask for your address so I could buy it!
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:27 PM   #6
Administrator

Clazy Daze wrote:
Quote:
If you bump up ISO speeds high enough and take lots of photos to reduce the number without motion blur, it might work if the stage lighting is real good.

Ideally, you'd want something brighter (the long end of that zoom at f/5.6 is not very bright).

You'd be much better off with a brighter lens though (for example, a 70-210mm f/2.8, losing a stop to f/4 using a 1.4x TC if you had to). But, that's going to increase size, weight and cost.

In lower light in some of the smaller clubs around here, forget a zoom at all (even f/2.8 isn't bright enough).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:17 PM   #7

I have these three lens ;

Signma 70-200 f/2.8EX DG HSM APO

Tamron 90mm f/2.8AF Di Macro

50mm 1.4

I think all three lens aregood ones.

Regards.

belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:04 PM   #8

80-200 G
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:14 PM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
A man of few words.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:57 PM   #10

Thank you for all of your responses! It looks like i am going to have some MAJOR shopping to do with all those choices! LOL!! i did some checking around and it looks like the 100mm f/2, which a couple of of you have recommended is going to be my first choice...it will be a nice start, i think, and will not break my piggy bank as much as a couple of other choices you all have given me!

Jim, i will check out that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC when it comes out...i do have some friends in a local band that plays in several clubs here, and that may be something i will need too!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!!

cope, i will keep an eye out for another Minolta AF 75 300 for you...you never can tell, we usually get several nice lenses on a weekly basis at my work, we may just luck out again!

nooner, you DO have a way with words..or, should i say numbers! lol!