Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1

Has anyone had the opportunity to use the Minolta 28 f2 and the f2.8 to compare the differences between these two . Looking for a good "small room, no flash lens"
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, one major difference is that f/2 is exactly twice as bright as f/2.8 ;-)

I've got a 28mm f/2 and it's a pretty decent lens.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC lens though (sometimes I need something brighter than f/2). Dealers should be getting this Sigma in soon in Minolta mount.

I haven't used the Minolta 28mm f/2.8

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

Jim, I'm guessing that the Sigme 30mm f/1.4 is twice as bright as 2 ?

Well Jim reading some of your other post I'm thinking that this must be a extremely good lens because I recall reading about your bargian shopping for lenses.

If you are willing to shell out around$400 forthis lens toupgrade from your 28 F2,alens that I believe you say is one of your favorites that that says alot about this lens.

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:43 PM   #4
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Jim, I'm guessing that the Sigme 30mm f/1.4 is twice as bright as 2 ?
Yes, f/1.4 is exactly twice as bright as f/2 (and it's4 times as bright as f/2.8 )

I'm only thinking about the Sigma at this point. I like shooting in low light and sometimes f/2 is not bright enough, even at ISO 3200 in some of the clubs around here with live music. Shutter speeds are just too slow.

Since Sigma announced they'd be making their 30mm f/1.4in Minolta mount, I've been keeping an eye out for user reports.

The Minolta 28mm f/2 is my favorite lens for low light use in close quarters. But, another stop wouldn't hurt (and the Sigma is going to be smaller and lighter than something like a Minolta 35mm f/1.4; since the Sigma is designed to work only on a DSLR with a smaller sensor).

P.S.

I'll probably wait and see what Sony's lens lineup looks like before I decide.

Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:36 PM   #5
Administrator

More comments...

For indoor use in close quarters, I've often found that f/2.8 is just not bright enough to stop motion blur (and I'm talking household lighting in the evening, not just dimly lit clubs). I've taken a few photos at friend's and relative's parties where f/2.8 just didn't "cut it" for moving people without a flash, even at ISO 1600.

If budget permits, I'd try to go with f/2 or brighter. You don't have to use a lens at wide open apertures if lighting is better. But, it's there if you need it.

B&H has the 28mm f/2 for $299 right now (appears to be the old style lens), new in the box.

You can sometimes find them for less on Ebay.

Another one to keep an eye out for is the 35mm f/2. It's relatively rare, but they pop up from time to time.

By most accounts, the 28mm f/2.8 is a very good lens (sharp, even wide open), and it's available often at bargain prices on the used market. But, for existing light shooting of non-stationary subjects without a flash, I'd go with the brightest you can afford.