Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 3, 2006, 12:52 AM   #21

FiguredI'd include this info about my flash. I got my Sunpak 433D on eBay for $60 in brand new condition, free shipping and it included the following extras:

1. Sunpak TL-8 Tele-Filter Kit

Turns flash into a zoom flash, increase light intensity while decreasing the angle of illumination, The kits built in bounce reflector creates more vivid fill-in light. Also works as a filter adapter.

2. Siegelite Flash Bracket with Extension

3. Nikon SC-17 TTL flash sync cord to use off camera on the flash bracket. Tested it with my 5D and it works fine.

Pic from auction

I'm glad I got this flash because it has answered the questions and doubts I had about the 3600HS flash.

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:15 AM   #22

Yes, I am sure, and this overexposure is a little unusual. I normally get very accurate results.Maybe too much white in the image for the flash to shut off swiftly enough. But it's no a big deal for me to shift down 1/2 an aperture or so. As far as the white balance is concerned, I have not had such a blue shift as you had in the dog pictures before. But that's the beauty about the KM5D and digital in general, that you can make instant corrections if the first shot does not come out right. I will experiment some more with it and keep you posted. I still have my friend's 3600 for a few more days.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:18 AM   #23

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
FiguredI'd include this info about my flash. I got my Sunpak 433D on eBay for $60 in brand new condition, free shipping and it included the following extras:

1. Sunpak TL-8 Tele-Filter Kit

Turns flash into a zoom flash, increase light intensity while decreasing the angle of illumination, The kits built in bounce reflector creates more vivid fill-in light. Also works as a filter adapter.

2. Siegelite Flash Bracket with Extension

3. Nikon SC-17 TTL flash sync cord to use off camera on the flash bracket. Tested it with my 5D and it works fine.

Pic from auction

I'm glad I got this flash because it has answered the questions and doubts I had about the 3600HS flash.

Randy Wheeler

great deal. I spent a bit less, but my Sunpak was used and came without accessories. I am going to look out for that Sunpak TL-8. I wasn't aware there was a tele kit available for this flash.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:04 PM   #24

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
Withyour pics, you have used f5.6, ISO 200, 1/125 shutter and center weighted metering to start with.

The metering mode should play no role in the exposure in this case since it is controlled manually.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:41 PM   #25

From p113 of the Minolta 5D owners manual, some good infofor using standard non-dedicated flashes:

"To ensure correct exposures, use the manual exposure mode. Set the shutter speed equal to or slower than the flash duration; refer to the flash unit's instruction manual. The camera's flash-compensation function has no affect on the flash exposure. To make a exposure bracket, press and hold the AEL button during the bracketing series to control the exposure with the aperture rather than the shutter speed.

The use of custom white balance is recommended. When calibrating the camera, use the shutter speed and aperture settings require for the final exposure. A gray card may have to be used as the reference target with powerful flash units to reduce the intensity of the illumination. If custom white balance is not practical, use the preset daylight or flash setting or set the color temperature to the flash unit's color temperature if known; auto white balance is not recommended"

I have the Sunpak 433D owners manual and in the specs it states "Color Temperature: Most suitable for daylight color films" but no temp number. The flash speed has a minimum shutter speed of 1/700s no matter what setting.

Also, I've seen in several posts stating that the flash sync speed with Anti-Shake off is 1/180swhen it is actually 1/160s. See p42 in the 5D owners manual.

Randy Wheeler

Old May 3, 2006, 3:07 PM   #26

Thanks for the info. I think the Daylight setting is doing a much better job than the flash setting, which comes out too yellow.

By the way: Was the spelling error ("affect" instead of "effect") in the manual?

Rainer

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
The camera's flash-compensation function has no affect on the flash exposure.
Old May 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #27

Old May 4, 2006, 1:36 AM   #28

Here is the same test again with a different subject. First shot is the Minolta 3600 flash in P mode and AWB. From my experience, the Minolta flash tends to underexpose a little. But the White Balance is right on.

Attached Images

Old May 4, 2006, 1:37 AM   #29

Sunpak 433D with AWB. ISO200, 1/160, f5.6. Better exposure, I find, and the White Balance is right on. The white tiles are white (other than the grease that my girlfriend needs to clean up, of course)

Attached Images

Old May 4, 2006, 1:39 AM   #30

Sunpak 433D, same exposure, WB set to Daylight. Leaning a little toward yellow.

Attached Images