Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2006, 1:41 AM   #31

Sunpak 433D, same exposure, WB set to Flash, way to yellow. AWB works best for me so far, but it's good to know that should the result be on the bluish side in a different setting, that the KM5D gives one such great control over adjusting the white balance.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:22 AM   #32

Ok, I think I found a good manual white balance setting for indoors using the 5D, Sunpak 433D flash and 18-70mm kit lens. I didn'trealize that there was a secondary color balance adjustment, called magenta/green compensation,you can set so I tried that and it worked great. For all the pics below I used a manual WB of 5500K color temperature and a magenta/green compensation of M1. No more blue cast!

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:49 PM   #33

Thank you, that's good to know. Can that be saved as a custom setting, so you can call it up at the switch of a button, everytime you attach the flash? I.E. If you rotate the WB button to Custom will it retain the previous setting?

By the way, looking at my own pictures on my laptop screen vs. my home computer, the "Daylight" setting looks actually more neutral than AWB which has a slight blue cast.
Old May 4, 2006, 4:06 PM   #34

rduve wrote:
Quote:
great deal. I spent a bit less, but my Sunpak was used and came without accessories. I am going to look out for that Sunpak TL-8. I wasn't aware there was a tele kit available for this flash.
Is this the right model, seems very inexpensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunpak-Auto-433D...QQcmdZViewItem
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:07 PM   #35

Is there a version of the 433D that has an AF assist lamp? Do you find needing the AF assist lamp when using the 433D?
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:18 PM   #36
Administrator

Sunpak made a 433AF version that had an AF Assist, depending on the module you used with it. But, it was designed to work with older Maxxum models (7000, 9000) before Minolta changed the hotshoe design.

As a result, AFAIK, the AF Assist will not function.

With either one, you'll need a Minolta FS-1100 or equivelent adapter to give the camera an ISO standard hotshoe to mount them.

They will not "communicate" with the camera, except for the actual triggering of the flash (extra pins on flash are not used with the FS-1100 adapter).

So, there is no real advantage to a version of these older strobes designed specifically for Minolta cameras. You'll still need to use Manual Exposure on the camera, and set the flash to one of the available auto aperture ranges (with the camera settings for ISO speed and aperture set the same way).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:25 PM   #37

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
great deal. I spent a bit less, but my Sunpak was used and came without accessories. I am going to look out for that Sunpak TL-8. I wasn't aware there was a tele kit available for this flash.
Is this the right model, seems very inexpensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunpak-Auto-433D...QQcmdZViewItem

Yup, that's the one. Go for it!
Old May 4, 2006, 5:46 PM   #38

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Sunpak made a 433AF version that had an AF Assist, depending on the module you used with it. But, it was designed to work with older Maxxum models (7000, 9000) before Minolta changed the hotshoe design.

As a result, AFAIK, the AF Assist will not function.

With either one, you'll need a Minolta FS-1100 or equivelent adapter to give the camera an ISO standard hotshoe to mount them.

They will not "communicate" with the camera, except for the actual triggering of the flash (extra pins on flash are not used with the FS-1100 adapter).

So, there is no real advantage to a version of these older strobes designed specifically for Minolta cameras. You'll still need to use Manual Exposure on the camera, and set the flash to one of the available auto aperture ranges (with the camera settings for ISO speed and aperture set the same way).

Thanks for the reply Jim, so what happens if I use the 433D on aperture priority mode, do I have to be on Manual mode settings all the time for the flash to expose properly?
Old May 4, 2006, 5:54 PM   #39
Administrator

royco wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Jim, so what happens if I use the 433D on aperture priority mode, do I have to be on Manual mode settings all the time for the flash to expose properly?
The camera is not going to know you're using a flash. So, if you try to use Av Mode (Aperture Priority), the camera is going to try and leave the shutter open long enough to allow the ambient light to expose the image.

So, you'll want to use Manual Exposure instead, setting the shutter speed to a reasonable value that's fast enough to prevent too much ambient light (otherwise you can get some motion blur from ambient light exposure).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 6:15 PM   #40

Thanks jim, I think I may have a hard time with the 433D, Im kinda slow with manual settings plus trying to guess which exposure will be right for the flash is tough(is it?). The 3600HS should have been ok but I want something with swivel.

Any other flash suggestions that'll work in AV mode thats not too pricey?

Thanks.