Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 5, 2006, 8:11 AM   #51
Administrator

I haven't bothered to tweak mine. But, I usually shoot raw for anything important. So, it's really not a big deal to have WB set exactly right anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:40 PM   #52

Well, I'm satisfied with the settings I'm using with the Sunpak 433 indoors. Now, what about using the 433 outdoors as afill flash? This is what I've found so far:

1. Go back to auto white balance when outdoors in daylight. Pictures turned out too yellow in the 5500K M1 manual setting. Haven't tried the Daylight AWB mode yet.

2. Put camera in A "aperture" mode, on the 5D,since the flash is not going to be the major light source and set the aperture to match the flash. Might need tostop down exposure compensation a step or twofor potential overexposuresince additional flash light is combined with ambient exposure in this auto exposure mode.

I've also been experimenting with using a Stofen omni-bounce which seems to reduce the amount of noticeable flash in the pics I've taken so far. I kept the same settings on the camera and flash andtook the same pic with the omni-bounce on and off.

3. Last option would be to put the flash in manual mode and pick one of thereducedpower settingswhich are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or1/16.

Any thought on this?

Randy Wheeler
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 1:16 PM   #53
Administrator

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm satisfied with the settings I'm using with the Sunpak 433 indoors. Now, what about using the 433 outdoors as afill flash? This is what I've found so far:

1. Go back to auto white balance when outdoors in daylight. Pictures turned out too yellow in the 5500K M1 manual setting. Haven't tried the Daylight AWB mode yet.
You've got a sync speed limitation of 1/125 second with AS on, or 1/160 second with AS off. So, depending on lighting, you may end up with black bands in your images if you're not careful using it for fill outdoors at wider apertures (or just not notice that the flash isn't contributing to the exposure). There is no HSS with a Sunpak.

Quote:
2. Put camera in A "aperture" mode, on the 5D,since the flash is not going to be the major light source and set the aperture to match the flash. Might need tostop down exposure compensation a step or twofor potential overexposuresince additional flash light is combined with ambient exposure in this auto exposure mode.
Indoors, you may need shutter speeds much slower than a couple of stops lower to expose an image without a flash (and the meter is looking at ambient light), especially when stopped down a bit (for example f/5.6). So, you'll get very slow shutter speeds using this technique.

I'd shoot Manual Exposure on the camera, and set the shutter to a fixed value (for example 1/60 or 1/125), depending on how much ambient light you want to let in. Otherwise, you'll have slow shutter speeds with too much ambient light contributing and get motion blur in many indoor conditions.

Quote:
3. Last option would be to put the flash in manual mode and pick one of thereducedpower settingswhich are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or1/16.
I'd select an Auto Range on the flash, using manual exposure on the camera with an aperture and ISO speed to match the flash, setting shutter speed to a value that helps to prevent too much ambient light from entering the image, resulting in motion blur at slower shutter speeds.

Old May 5, 2006, 1:50 PM   #54

As stated in one of my earlier postson this thread, I've tested the Sunpak 433 with image stabilization on at 1/160and takenover 300 picswith no sync problems. Any shutter speed above that caused sync problems. It shouldn't work but it does, try it.

At this point, I'm only looking for suggestions on how to use this flash outdoors on a bright sunny day as a conservative fill-flash. I know how to use this flash indoors so I don't need anymore advice on that.

They needto put anauto shutter limiter of 1/160 on the 5D, that would solve it and you could then use aperture priority mode with a fixed aperture.

All the test pics I've taken outdoors in Aperture Priority mode haven't hadthe shutter speed go above 1/160using 200 ISO and f5.6 aperture so I might just stick with this mode. Going down to ISO 100 and f8 aperture would be safer also but I think the shutter speeds would be too slow unless it was very bright situations. Just have to watch the shutter and make sure it doesn't go above 1/160 when I'm shooting. Of course it will be easy to tell when it does because I'll see a nice black bar across the photo.

Using both a manual shutter and aperture outdoors drove me nuts since I'm trying to get the correct ambient exposure in each shot. I guess using Shutter priority and putting the flash in Manual mode at a lower power would be semi-automatic. Start at 1/16 power and work your way up until finding a suitable one for each given situation.

RandyWheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 4:32 PM   #55

I have a Milolta 5D which I love, but am a little disappointed that you can't hardly find accessories for it because of Sony buying them out. Anyway, I recently bought a Sunpak 433D. I bought it partly because of the opinions you all gave which are great. Anyway, when I got it I realized I need a flash shoe adaptor, FS-1100, I think. Is this correct? Also I found one on ebay with the same model number although it is not Konika Minolta, But alot less expensive. Does anyone know anything about these adaptors and which would be the best way to go. Thanks for your help.

Deb
Deb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 4:40 PM   #56
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums Deb.

Give it a few more weeks and Sony should start launching products.

Yes, you will need an FS-1100 or equivalent adapter to give your 5D an ISO standard hotshoe.

As for third party adapters, I've got one exactly like this Hong Kong vendor has listed on Ebay (and the same seller has multiple listings for them). Just search for FS-1100 if you want more listings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7619982767

A long time Minolta user named Nick makes these adapters (he's in Hong Kong), and some other vendors there sell them via Ebay. It's a well made adapter and a bargain for the price (especially since you get both an ISO Standard Hotshoe and a PC Sync Port).

Old May 21, 2006, 7:45 AM   #57

Thanks alot for your help!

Deb
Old May 30, 2006, 7:10 PM   #58

Hi again...OK I got the adaptor for my sunpak today. Been trying to play around with it a bit. for now I just want to shoot with my 5D in auto and the flash on auto until I have time to figure out the settings. Anyway, so I'm taking pictures indoors in a low light situation and my shutter speed is slow as if I don't have a flash attached, but the flash does fire. Of course the slightest movement and it's no good. Is there a setting on the camera or the flash that I'm missing. I looked in my 5D manual and checked the flash settings on the camera and it still does the same thing. I know it can't be all that hard. I just need some help getting started with this flash. Thanks for your help. Deb
Old May 30, 2006, 8:01 PM   #59

Deb2c wrote:
Quote:
Hi again...OK I got the adaptor for my sunpak today. Been trying to play around with it a bit. for now I just want to shoot with my 5D in auto and the flash on auto until I have time to figure out the settings. Anyway, so I'm taking pictures indoors in a low light situation and my shutter speed is slow as if I don't have a flash attached, but the flash does fire. Of course the slightest movement and it's no good. Is there a setting on the camera or the flash that I'm missing. I looked in my 5D manual and checked the flash settings on the camera and it still does the same thing. I know it can't be all that hard. I just need some help getting started with this flash. Thanks for your help. Deb

Hi Deb, You cannot shoot with the camera setat Auto. You need to set itto Manual. Set ithe cameraat 1/125 shutterspeed, f5.6, ISO200. Set the flash at the medium auto setting (the one in the middle, I think it's green, with the 3-33ft range). That gives you consistently well exposed shots.

If you want to get more control of the flash, you need to familiarize yourself with the different settings. You have a slider which gives you three distance ranges (for use with the auto thyristor which controls exposure), plus a manual setting (at which the flash fires full power). Remember the flash and camera do not communicate (other than triggering the electricity to fire the flash), therefore setting the camera at auto does not work. The camera does not know that a flash is attached and will expose as though it wasn't. Therefore you get long exposure times and blurry pictures indoors. The flash, however, will control it's firepower based on the light that is reflected back to the auto thyristor, but the camera needs to be set in accordance with the flash for you to get correct exposure. For example, if you set the ISO slider on the flash to ISO 200 and choose the 3-30ft range on the flash, you will see that it shows you in the little display to use f5.6. You can see how changing the ISO number affects the aperture one f-stop at a time. Just make sure that the camera is set according to the expectation of the flash to get it right.

If this is too much figure figure for you, just go with my suggestion in the first paragraph, that should cover most situations.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:45 PM   #60

Hey Thanks alot for your advice. I have been playing around with my flash for the last week or so using your recommended setting and it seems to be working great. I have even played around a bit with my own settings just to see what type of results I get. That is the awsome thing about digital, if you don't like it you know instantly and you haven't wasted film. Thanks again! Deb