Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 1, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

I finally made the plunge and ordered my 5D from DigitalFoto for $649 with the 18-70mm kit lens. Free shipping and no tax. They show an import model for $10 less, but it only has a 90 day warranty from the store. I ordered by phone and the salesman assured me the one I ordered gets the 1 year warranty from Sony. And, surprisingly, he was up on the Sony deal and seemed very informed. According to UPS tracking, it should arrive today.

As fate would have it, my local Wolf Camera doesn't carry Minolta. But this past weekend I was in another part of town and went into a different Wolf store and there in the display was a 5D for $649 with the kit lens. Best price I've seen in a retail store. I still saved $40 in taxes, but I kinda wish I had gotten it from a local store in case there are problems. So, if anybody is still shopping, call ALL the Wolf stores. This one is in Charlotte, NC and the sales guy told me they'll have them until they run out in there warehouse. "Probably 6 months worth", he said. I don't know if I believe that, because at that price they won't last.

Anyway, thanks everybody (especially Jim)...I'm soooooo looking forward to this!!

Chris
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Chris,

I got mine a month ago from Wolf and paid $699 for the kit. Don't feel bad buying from Digital Photo, they are great to work with. I got my 5600HS from them last month. BTW, they ship quickly. Every order I have placed has been 2nd day either USPS or FedEx.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 6:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the positive input. They did seem good to work with and my wife just called to tell me I have a package waiting for me when I get home! That's pretty quick...5 days total. Anyway, my only concern is that when I asked about their supply of stock he said they had plenty, but it will be in a "Dynax" box. Does that mean it says "dynax" on it? I guess it doesn't matter, as long as I have the warranty.
Old May 1, 2006, 7:16 PM   #4

If you bought a USA model it should say Maxxum on the camera, regardless what the box says. Look at the warranty card also. If yours is marked Dynax, it is an import model.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

the 5d is made in malaysia. they all are imports. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 7:28 AM   #6

jellero wrote:
Quote:
the 5d is made in malaysia. they all are imports. j
The comments are regarding USA VS Gray Market warranty coverage.
Old May 2, 2006, 8:41 AM   #7

Got it last night!
Definitely the US model...warranty, packaging, and labeling all confirm this.[img]images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

I have to say, being a newbee to DSLR's it's a little intimidating. But very easy and intuitive as far as the basic functions go.

I have a lot of learning to do, but I'm looking forward to it!

Old May 2, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8

Congratulations, enjoy!