Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 3, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

I was interested in a simple adapter so that I could use my old MD lenses with the Maxxum 7D and ran across this adapter/2Xconvertor. I was wondering if this is worth it or if anyone has had any experience with just a plainadapter. I don't really need the teleconverter and I believe a simple adapter would suffice for my needs since I already have an old MD 2XTeleconvertor and you lose light with converters anyway. I realize that the autofocus won't work with the manual lenses and I think I read somewhere that it has to be turned off to use the MD lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-2...QQcmdZViewItem
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Administrator

I've got a brother-in-law with a nice collection of lenses for his SRT-101. So far, I've resisted the temptation of buying an adapter so that I could borrow some of them. ;-)

My eyes aren't what they used to be for Manual Focus (especially, given the factory installedfocus screen, which really doesn't lend itself that well for this purpose, especially considering my 5D's smaller viewfinder compared to your 7D).The 7D's standard focus screen could leave a bit to be desired, also (but, you could replace it with a better one for MF).

If I were going to buy an adapter, I'd probably go with one with less magnification. If you use one without optical elements, you won't be able to focus to infinity using an adapter.

But, there are some third party adapters with less magnfication (and resulting loss of light) available on the market. Some KM DSLR owners are using adapters with 1.2 to 1.4x magnification (so loss of light would be less than the2 stops you'd losewith theMinolta adapter).

Here is a 7 page forum thread discussing use of adapterswhere you may find some useful information,discussing pros and cons of both TCs and Adapters to allow the use of MC/MD mount lenses:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=2100&PN=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
My eyes aren't what they used to be for Manual Focus (especially, given the factory installedfocus screen, which really doesn't lend itself that well for this purpose, especially considering my 5D's smaller viewfinder compared to your 7D).The 7D's standard focus screen could leave a bit to be desired, also (but, you could replace it with a better one for MF).

If I were going to buy an adapter, I'd probably go with one with less magnification. If you use one without optical elements, you won't be able to focus to infinity using an adapter.

But, there are some third party adapters with less magnfication (and resulting loss of light) available on the market. Some KM DSLR owners are using adapters with 1.2 to 1.4x magnification (so loss of light would be less than the2 stops you'd losewith theMinolta adapter).

Jim, my eyes aren't what they used to be either, but I don't seem to have a problem with manual focus on the 7D. BTW, I only use glasses for reading. When I shoot, I have been doing so without glasses and have adjusted the diopter to the naked eye. Is that the correct way of doing it or am I better off using eyeglass? Maybe it depends on how bad eyesight is, since I'm sure the diopter setting is somewaht limited.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you go about changinga focus screen?I'm not exactly sure what it is. Are you referring to the outside lens on the viewfinder?

If I use an adapter with my currentMD teleconvertor will I be able to focus to infinity? Of course, it is 2X and I will lose some light. Back when I purchsed it, I thought it was rated for losing 1 stop, but I'm not sure my mind is that accurate or even if the information I received is that accuarate.

I'll check out that link.... thanks.

What do you reccomend for a good bag? I imagine whatever works for the 5D should be close enough for the 7D. BTW.... dopeople still use or do they still make body cases for cameras? I'm guessing not, because I don't see many out there and toadys carmeras have more bells and whistles on the body, which get in the way of wrapping the camera.They were kind of handy when just lugging a cameraaround to keep it protected for minor impacts.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4
Administrator

KM offered focus screen upgrades for the 7D (same as the 35mm Maxxum/Dynax 7). You could send your camera to them and they would swap it out..

I couldn't find a link to anything showing the different screen types with a quick seach. We'll need to wait and see if Sony offers the same options.

There are some 3rd party screens around, too. Here is one, and you'll see a link to a .pdf on how to change one.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/screen4DSLR/

Old May 3, 2006, 2:25 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm no expert on the TCs, other than what I've already passed on.

As for bags, I don't keep up with them. I had to look at mine to tell you what brands there are. The two I use most often are similar except for size. One is a tamrac and the other is a tam tek.

They've got padded dividers to provide separate compartments. I usually keep my camera face down in the middle one if it's not around my neck and lenses in the outer compartments. They've also got things like a see through zipper compartment in the bag top, outside zipper compartments, etc. The tam tek is probably a tamrac "knock off".

As for camera body cases.... I don't keep up with those either. lol

The only camera I've got with one is an old Canon Rangefinder in a closet somewhere that has a brown leather body case.

Old May 3, 2006, 3:12 PM   #6

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

What do you reccomend for a good bag? I imagine whatever works for the 5D should be close enough for the 7D. BTW.... dopeople still use or do they still make body cases for cameras? I'm guessing not, because I don't see many out there and toadys carmeras have more bells and whistles on the body, which get in the way of wrapping the camera.They were kind of handy when just lugging a cameraaround to keep it protected for minor impacts.
I have the Lowepro Nova 5AW. It will hold my 5D witth kit lens attached, 28mm Macro, 50mm 1.4, 28-105, 70-210, 28-80 and 70-300 along with my 5600HS, a 1.4X TC, filters, AC adaptor, charger, batteries and so on. If I take one lens out, I can add my 800Si w/VC-700 and still leep the flash.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 4:17 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
KM offered focus screen upgrades for the 7D (same as the 35mm Maxxum/Dynax 7). You could send your camera to them and they would swap it out..

How do I know if Ineed it?:?

Until you mentioned it, I had no clue those things could be changed. :-)

Old May 4, 2006, 8:08 AM   #8
Administrator

If your MF images come out ouf of focus, you probably need one. ;-)

It's pretty hard to judge focus with the standard viewfinders used in most Digital Cameras.

Here is a user review of a third party screen that shows some examples of the split image you see to aid in focusing with one type of screen:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3503

Old May 4, 2006, 8:30 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
What do they charge for doing that?

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:15 AM   #10
Administrator

I don't know what they charged for sure. I found one poster indicating $50 (but, I don't know if that was just the labor or not).

I don't know if Sony is going to offer them or not. We'll need to wait until they announce accessories and services they will make available to KM DSLR owners.

KM only offered focus screens for the 7D (not the 5D), and had multiple screens to choose from.

The M and ML screens seem to be popular choices. You'll see them shown on the last page of this Dynax 9 brochure (.pdf file so Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed)

http://konicaminolta.com.sg/products...ynax_9_eng.pdf

You can also expect some light loss using Minolta's M or ML type screens from what I've read about them from others (but, the advantages may outweigh the disadvantages of you use MF often).

AFAIK, none of the Minolta screens are split image types, though. There are pros and cons to any type. With a screen using a built in micro prism to give you a split image (as the third party screen above uses), you can only judge focus in the center of the frame (but, the split image makes accurate focus more obvious than with other types).