Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2006, 7:28 PM   #1

I've come across the opportunity to pick up a older version of the 35mm f/1.4 for around $500 thats in very good shape. I'm just not sure ifit's worth getting this oneor waiting for the new (D) version to come out.

I Know that the (D) pertains to theexposure using a Minolta flash (5600)which I have, but using a lens with a f/1.4 I would probably try as much as possible not to use the flash.

The other issue as always is $$$$. I've never even imagined spending so much on a len's. But after seeing whats possible with my 50 f/1.7 I can now understand the value of a lens with this capability.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 7:52 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know what one is worth (or what Sony has planned for us in the new lens lineup).

In a third party lens, you may also want to check out the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC Lens

It's should be selling for around $429 new, since that's what B&H is getting for them in Nikon and Canon mount. But, I don't know of anyone that has them in stock yet in Minolta mount.

I've got a Minolta 28mm f/2 that's not quite as bright as I'd like in some low light environments. So, I've been thinking about the Sigma 30mm as an alternative.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3

So I'm wondering if there will be a possible delay in the release of this lens http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05081901kmlens.aspsince Sony took over? Maybe some time to rebadge any lenses that were already produced with the KM badge?

And if Sigma comes out with thier KM/Sony mount 30mm 1.4 close to the same time maybe us the consumermight benefit fromsome price competition.

I've read that KM was having some of thier lenses made by a third party. Is there any proof of that?

Does anyone have/use a Minolta 35mm f/1.4 lens they can comment on.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
So I'm wondering if there will be a possible delay in the release of this lens http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05081901kmlens.aspsince Sony took over? Maybe some time to rebadge any lenses that were already produced with the KM badge?

And if Sigma comes out with thier KM/Sony mount 30mm 1.4 close to the same time maybe us the consumermight benefit fromsome price competition.

I've read that KM was having some of thier lenses made by a third party. Is there any proof of that?

Does anyone have/use a Minolta 35mm f/1.4 lens they can comment on.
Well known that Tamron made many Minolta lenses over the years.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 1:19 PM   #5
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
There is no guarantee that this lens will even be produced. That's up to Sony. They may have other plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see an entire new lineup of lenses. We'll just need to wait and see.

Quote:
Look at the specs for the 28-75mm f/2.8 (Tamron and KM versions). They're virtually identical except for some of the cosmetics and lens coatings (although the KM version is probably chipped differently).

Ditto for some (but not all) of the other lenses from KM and Tamron.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6

IMO if you're going for fast lens you want to avoid flash.... sooo.... why putting even more money on the useless ADI? 500 bucks is a bargain on the 35 G lens! My fav. lens isSIGMA 28 f/1.8 EX DG and the only replacement i see for this one is the 35 f/1.4 G
dlbogdan is offline   Reply With Quote