Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 6, 2006, 8:59 AM   #1

Can someone explain to my airheaded self how this "takeover" will happen...

I have the 5D, and just found the flash unit for $100 more expensive than I remember it being, LOL, of course. But I'm wondering...do I need to stock up on extra battery packs, etc too? Or will Sony be manufacturing products that correlate with the KM products...how does that all work?

Any insight is appreciated...Thanks!
Darlene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 9:24 AM   #2
Administrator

The handover to Sony was completed on March 31.

We should see some DSLR product announcements from Sony soon (probably early June, if not sooner, based on reports from multiple sources interviewing Sony management).

My guess is that we'll see many of the same accessories rebranded for Sony launched at the same time (if not sooner). But, we'll need to wait for the announcements to see what they have planned.

In part, because of the uncertainty, KM lenses and accessories have been commanding a premium on the used market. My advise would be to wait and see what happens before spending substantially more for lenses and accessories now.

On the other hand, once the Sony DSLR models start shipping, demand for used lenses may increase versus decrease, depending on Sony's lens lineup and pricing. However, there are a LOT of lenses in the market. Minolta has manufactured some 16 Million lenses in Maxxum/Dynax mount since it was introduced in 1985.

Even Canon has only manufactured 32 Million lenses in EF mount (and you have a LOT more Canon DSLR owners compared to KM DSLR owners, since KM has a very small DSLR market share in comparison).

So, I think it's likely that we're just seeing some short term "panic buying" due to the uncertainty.

I have no crystal ball. Only time will tell. ;-)

As for batteries, I don't think there will be a shortage of third party batteries, regardless of what Sony does in this area.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 9:49 AM   #3

Except for a couple of lens shortages, the main problem seems to be with flsah availability.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

Thx guys!

I ended up answering my own question as well. I ordered the 3600 and ended up speaking with a Minolta/now Sony Rep. He was telling me there's going to be a release of the 3600 and 5600 flash units by Sony, but there's expected to bet least a 30% markup on everything....simply because of the "Sony"brandname.
Darlene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 1:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Darlene2 wrote:
Quote:
I ended up answering my own question as well. I ordered the 3600 and ended up speaking with a Minolta/now Sony Rep. He was telling me there's going to be a release of the 3600 and 5600 flash units by Sony, but there's expected to bet least a 30% markup on everything....simply because of the "Sony"brandname.
I don't know about that. Sony wants to capture market share, and they're the "new kid on the block" as far as a DSLR manufacturer.

You don't take market share away from Canon and Nikonby pricing yourself out of the market. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 11:09 PM   #6

:-) I agree with Jim on Sony pricing. It's basic business econ 101. You cannot establish a market share with an unproven brand name (even a good one like Sony) with a premium price for less than premium goods (standard items rebranded). Eventually Sony may decide to raise prices, but it will be a while before they command that type of respect in the digital SLR market.

Besides the Sony brand has been tainted a few times in both digital photography and consumer electronics markets in the last few years. :?
42stew is offline   Reply With Quote