Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 13, 2006, 11:48 AM   #11

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Hi cope, thanks for the info, i got the the sigma flash already becasue the 3600 is almost as the same price as the Sigma EF-500 MA-ADI, and the sales person said that the sigma is better than the 3600.

I got also the tamron 28-300 lens.... cool

All i need now is a low light condition lens.

I have seen a sigma 50mm F1.4, is this a good lens for with KM bodies? Or do you guys have any suggestions?
I just ordered the 80-300 myself. I agree with jim; I haven't seen a Sigma 50mm 1.7, but the Minolya 1.7 or 1.4 is a great lens. Check KEH for a used one. They are typically very conservative on their lens condition rating.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 11:58 AM   #12

Sorry, my mistake, it should have been Sigma 30mm F1.4

Jim are your referring to sigma or sunpak on the flash that you don't trust?

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:53 PM   #13
Administrator

Sorry, I meant the Sigma. I edited my previous post.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 6:58 PM   #14

Hi Jim,

What about the sigma flash that you dont trust? maybe i can try to check it out...
Old May 17, 2006, 1:35 PM   #15
Administrator

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim,

What about the sigma flash that you dont trust? maybe i can try to check it out...
That it can actually work with the camera well enough to get correctly exposed photos. ;-)

Let us know how it works out, as reports on Sigma strobes are mixed with KM DSLR models (sometimes not working correctly even after owners report sending them back to Sigma more than once).

Hopefully, you'll get a good one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
If you are interested in the Sigma, this is what Sigma told me:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our current flashes EF500 DG SUPER MA-ADI and EF500 DG ST MA-ADI are fully compatible with 5D and 7D. If flash body does not have MA-ADI written on it, it is one of our older flash that is not compatible with these cameras.

MA-ADI is the key thing. Many people are buying the older model pre-MA-ADI flash, and getting mixed results.
This must be the one that cope must be referring to...

ok will try to get some shots with the sigma flash.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:24 PM   #17

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you are interested in the Sigma, this is what Sigma told me:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our current flashes EF500 DG SUPER MA-ADI and EF500 DG ST MA-ADI are fully compatible with 5D and 7D. If flash body does not have MA-ADI written on it, it is one of our older flash that is not compatible with these cameras.

MA-ADI is the key thing. Many people are buying the older model pre-MA-ADI flash, and getting mixed results.
This must be the one that cope must be referring to...

ok will try to get some shots with the sigma flash.
It is, but I am with Jim on this; I'm not 100% convinced they have their act together. If KM had flash troubles, it stands to reason that Sigma would too.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:00 PM   #18

I have the ADI version for my 7d, and have had better results than many others are reporting. This doesn't mean that I am completely satisfied with its perfromance, I am not. It exposes properly about 80-90% of the time, but only at flash+1 set on the camera. It consistently underexposes in default mode. Setting up for HSS seems to help also. Some of the exposure problems are probably due to my relative inexperience with a new system, but not 20% of the time. I would buy a Metz flash if I was in the market today, I hear they do away with the pre-flash that ensures you get "eyes wide shut" shots from about 25% of people.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 4:26 PM   #19

does the sunpak pz40ex work with the dynax5,i am thinking of upgrading from the a2 and have the sunpak flash and the minolta battery carrier
are they compatible???
gando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 7:56 AM   #20

Here are the chronicles of my experiences with the Sigma flash: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84. In one word: HORRIFIC!!! And, by the way, it was the MA-ADI version which was supposed to be compatible with the 5D. Several other posters also ended up returning it since TTL metering is simply not occurring. Until Sony releases a fully compatible flash or the 5600HS price come back down, or until I try the Metz, I am sticking with my Sunpak 433D on the hotshoe adapter. It does a perfect job using the good old auto thyristor for automatic exposure control. Only problem I find is when using it outdoors as fill-in flash. That takes a little experimentation.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote