Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 23, 2006, 10:24 AM   #21

I've got the 500 DG Super and I'm getting great results with it. It just took a little playing around with the flash and camera to find the sweet spots. And its the only flash out there (other than minolta) that will do HSS and Monolta Wireless mode.

As far as the Lense goes. I would have recomended Sigma's 24-70 f/2.8 if you're going to be doing wedding photography. Many churches won't let you use your flash so the fast lense is a big plus. Add to that a 70-200 f/2.8 (You'll pay out the nose for that one but if you start making some money at it well worth it.) And a good wide angle fisheye. Again I'd look to get the fastest lenses you can afford. I realize you've already purchased a lense or two but you might want to keep this on your wish list.

BTW get a secont 500 DG Super and the Stofen boxes and you have great flash coverage for those group shots using the wireless flash mode. Also if you shoot RAW mode you gain the benefit of having a digital dark room where you can "Push Process" your exposures like you might have with some timing and what not in the film days.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 10:30 AM   #22
Administrator

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
I've got the 500 DG Super and I'm getting great results with it. It just took a little playing around with the flash and camera to find the sweet spots. And its the only flash out there (other than minolta) that will do HSS and Monolta Wireless mode.
The Metz 54MZ3 or 54MZ4 using the correct SCA3302M5 or SCA3302M6 foot will workin wirelessor HSS. The only "niggle" I've seen reported is that the Metz won't work as a wireless controller (but, it will work in wireless if you control it via the camera's built in flash).

These Metz strobes also have an Auto Mode that uses the strobe's built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure, terminating the flash output when the sensor sees enough light for the aperture and ISO speed selected (and it's aware of your camera settings in this mode with the correct foot).

Most users with both strobes (Metz 54MZ series and KM 5600HS) prefer the Metz since it doesn't need a preflash when using it in it's Auto Mode (but, you can't use HSS or Wireless that way, so you'd need to use it like a KM strobe if you need HSS or wireless).

If I were going to spend the money on a dedicated strobe, and needed HSS and Wireless, I'd go with aMetz 54MZ series strobe. I've seen too many users report problems with the Sigma strobes, and too many users that like their Metz strobes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:42 AM   #23

I got some updates from my Sigma EF -500 DG Super MA-ADI Flash.

Well when using my kit lens (18-70mm) of the 5D it tends to underexpose like a no flash at all or against the light, heck! the built in flash is way way way better.

Then i decided to place my exposre to +1ev, and:idea: things appeared the way it should be..... Thank God!!!!

Then i tried it on my Tamron lens, at 0ev, it works well enough for me. :G

and today i got the Sigma 30mm F1.4, man! this is really a quick lens. Just got used to the zoom of my tamron so i was trying to zoom in, hahaha then i realize its fixed hehehe. Really nice lens. Although at KM mount, there is no HSM, but heck still a nice lens!!!!

I also got a Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG Marco today.... i got to stop buying lens...

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:47 AM   #24
Administrator

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
...and today i got the Sigma 30mm F1.4, man! this is really a quick lens. Just get used to the zoom of my tamron so i was trying to zoom in, hahaha then i realize its fixed hehehe. Really nice lens.
OK -- now I'm jealous. :-)

I use a Minolta 28mm f/2 often in low light, and sometimes it's just not quite bright enough for me, even with ISO 3200 and anti-shake.

So, the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has been "on my radar" as a possible replacement for my 28mm f/2.

Keep us updated on how well it performs (especially between f/1.4 and f/2, which is where I'd want to use it). lol

It seems to compare quite favorably with similar primes from Canon and Nikon. Here is one comparison:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/30v35

Congrats!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:54 AM   #25

Here's is a pic of my 2 new babies :-)

Here's a shot using Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG Macro

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:38 AM   #26

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Gobs wrote:
Quote:
...and today i got the Sigma 30mm F1.4, man! this is really a quick lens. Just get used to the zoom of my tamron so i was trying to zoom in, hahaha then i realize its fixed hehehe. Really nice lens.
OK -- now I'm jealous. :-)

I use a Minolta 28mm f/2 often in low light, and sometimes it's just not quite bright enough for me, even with ISO 3200 and anti-shake.

So, the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has been "on my radar" as a possible replacement for my 28mm f/2.

Keep us updated on how well it performs (especially between f/1.4 and f/2, which is where I'd want to use it). lol

It seems to compare quite favorably with similar primes from Canon and Nikon. Here is one comparison:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/30v35

Congrats!
I'm looking at getting the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8- 4 EX instead of the 20-40 Tamron, but I can seem to find anyone who has one to see if the are any focusing isses. I can get the Tamron for about 170 and the Sigma for 250. Iam liking the Sigma because it goes a little wider. I really would like to go to the 11-18mm Minolta or Tamron but they are just a bit too expensive.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote