Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 8, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1

Hi guys, I'm quite new to the Photography and i need your help.

I have a Dynax 5D that comes with AF DT 18-70 f3.5-5.6(D)

I was wondering if i plan to buy a lens and a flash what would it be?
Basically the lens is ok but there are times when i feel that there is something lacking/missing aside from the zoom.

Basically i will be using it for taking pictures of weddings, famly outings and also i love to shoot on nature.

I saw a lens the Konica Minolta Zoom Telephoto AF D 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens, is this a good buy or what are your suggestions.

Can you guys help me out? Thanks

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2

Since the KM flash units are almost unavailable, you have Metz, Sigma and Promax to choose from. The Promax does not support HSS, so it is not as good a choice for on shoe use. The Sigma 500Super has been a crap shoot, but I just redad that they have a II model with a textured body that has solved their issues. Do a search of this forum for Metz information. As for lenses, you have plenty of used Minolta glass, but not as much new. Sigma and Tamron are the two aftermarket brands to look at. Since you have the kit lens, a 70-200/70-210/70-300 would be a good choice. The 28-75 minolta is another good lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:10 PM   #3

cope wrote:
Quote:
Since the KM flash units are almost unavailable, you have Metz, Sigma and Promax to choose from.
Not only are the KM'shard to find,they are expensive.

I see a lot of people get the Sunpak 433D with an adapter for the hotshoe, which is very reasonably priced. I'm just not sure what you lose with the Sunpak. I'm sure Sony will be releasing KM rebranded product, but I think they will still be as expensive if not more.

Does the Metz offer as many features as OEM?At this point, I'm in no hurry because I just shoot for fun and the 7D onboard flash seems OK. I'm not sure I really need addtional flash or at least can't think of a reason to jump on something unless it is a great deal.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

According to some, the Metz offers more than the OEM. If I needed one today I would find the new model Sigma. If I ever buy a 2nd flash it might be the Promaster for the fill flash which works with the main flash bounced.
Old May 8, 2006, 9:22 PM   #5

I'm now considering the Tamron 28-300 XR lens as being dicussed by the other topics in this thread.

Since i will have a zoom lens already. I will need another lens for the wide angle and low light conditions. Can you guys suggest any lends for this one?

As for my flash well still havent decided on what to buy.

Thanks

Old May 12, 2006, 2:48 AM   #6

Vivitar 70-210mm F/2.8-4 APO Series 1 Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum Mount
is this a good lens? or is the vivitar makes good lens for KM?
Old May 12, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7

Hi guys, have been checking out flash for my Dynax 5D.
Was wondering what flash goes best with the camera.

i will list down some products and please care to give some comment.

Sigma EF-500 super DG flash for Minolta Maxxum
Sunpak PZ5000AF Flash for Minolta Maxxum
Sunpak 433D for Minotla

So that i would know what to buy

Thanks

Old May 13, 2006, 7:11 AM   #8

Gobs wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys, have been checking out flash for my Dynax 5D.
Was wondering what flash goes best with the camera.

i will list down some products and please care to give some comment.

Sigma EF-500 super DG flash for Minolta Maxxum
Sunpak PZ5000AF Flash for Minolta Maxxum
Sunpak 433D for Minotla

So that i would know what to buy

Thanks
If you are interested in the Sigma, this is what Sigma told me:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our current flashes EF500 DG SUPER MA-ADI and EF500 DG ST MA-ADI are fully compatible with 5D and 7D. If flash body does not have MA-ADI written on it, it is one of our older flash that is not compatible with these cameras.

MA-ADI is the key thing. Many people are buying the polder model pre-MA-ADI flash, and getting mixed results.
Old May 13, 2006, 9:49 AM   #9

Hi cope, thanks for the info, i got the the sigma flash already becasue the 3600 is almost as the same price as the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER MA-ADI, and the sales person said that the sigma is better than the 3600.

I got also the tamron 28-300 lens.... cool

All i need now is a low light condition lens.

I have seen a sigma 50mm F1.4, is this a good lens for with KM bodies? Or do you guys have any suggestions?
Old May 13, 2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Administrator

Let us know how the Sigma works. I personally wouldn't trust one (even if it's supposedly the newer version). But, I have heard that the newer might be better.

As for a low light lens in close quarters, I don't think Sigma makes a 50mm f/1.4.

You're probably thinking of a Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I've got my eye out for more reviews of it. The last time I checked, no U.S. Dealers had it in stock yet in Minolta mount.

My favorite low light lens right now for close quarters use is a Minolta 28mm f/2

B&H has them for $299 (probably the old versus restyled version, which is the same as mine).

But, sometimes I'd like to have one more stop over my 28mm f/2. So, the Sigma is on my radar as a possible replacement. I think I'll wait to see what Sony introduces as far as new lenses before deciding one way or another.

If you don't need something that wide, KM makes both a 50mm f/1.7 and 50mm f/1.4

The f/1.7 version is relatively inexpensive on the used market. I got a working Maxxum 7000 including a 50mm f/1.7, and a Minolta 1800AF flash for only $49 on Ebay a while back. But, prices on used lenses have been higher lately (probably due to some panic buying going on since KM exited the camera business).

For a little longer lens, the 85mm f/1.4G and 100mm f/2 are the next step up. I've got a Minolta 100mm f/2 that I really like (but, they are pretty hard to come by on the used market now).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote