Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #11

I agree with Nooner entirely. Being assertive that '...' said so or '"someone"' has one is true to form of most baseless rumours and urban myths.

For that matter, the photo circulating on various forums looks very much like a photoshop fake to me. Wanting it to be true isn't the same as knowing it.

Like Jim, I'll wait for the official word from Sony. :crazy:
fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 4:01 PM   #12

The picture of it on the letsgodigital.com sitemakes it appear to be a rebadged 5d. I would be shocked if it didn't have at least an 8mp sensor, and surprised if it wasn't a 10mp but I admit this is just my speculation based on what sensors Sony is already selling to other manufacturers in aps-c sized CCD's. Anyhow, the most exciting thing to me is that the flash shoe appears physically identical to the current KM models. (of course it isn't the greatest angle to tell this and there could be firmware differences that make the flash units incompatible, but so far flash gun compatibility doesn't seem out of the question.) It would be very nice indeed if both flashes and lenses were compatible.

The other heartening thing to me is that in the interview on the Sony site, there seems to be both a genuine interest on Sony's part to completely satisfy Minolta fans with quality and technically advanced products, and an honest effort to offer a wide range of lenses. It may be some time before I buy another DSLR body, yet I'm quite certain that I'll be buying more lenses this year. Sony does seem to be taking serious the prospect of becoming a world class SLR manufacturer in order to gain their (very lofty) desired market share.

I have to admit that Sony hasn't impressed me a lot in the consumer electronics area, with proprietary batteries, flash memory, tapes, protocols- and generally overpriced mid-quality products. I am more optomistic about these DSLR's than I was some weeks ago, though I am still glad to have a KM branded body.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #13

The picture floating around looks like a 5D footprint with a 7D top (angled dials). I think everyone needs to quit worrying about what it is and what it has and just wait till D-Day.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:39 PM   #14

Following the logic used by some, I have to say that now I am upset with Let's Go Digital for not only publishing more rumors, but also posting a picture in the vain attempt to substantiate those rumors.

For those that are interested, the picture is real, the hot shoe and the lens mount are totally compatible with the existing KM system.
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 10:26 PM   #15

REALYTYCHECK wrote:
Quote:
Following the logic used by some, I have to say that now I am upset with Let's Go Digital for not only publishing more rumors, but also posting a picture in the vain attempt to substantiate those rumors.

For those that are interested, the picture is real, the hot shoe and the lens mount are totally compatible with the existing KM system.
Not that it matters much to me at this time, since I am very happy with my 7D, but I hope that Sony doesn't change the camera to use those proprietary memory sticks. I imagine that it would be cheaper not to make to many design changes at this point and that they may have left thatrebadged crossbred model alone for now by retaining theCF card compatibilty and even an NP400 battery.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 6:33 PM   #16

REALYTYCHECK wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't put to faith in your predictions. Missed on the E-3 :lol:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...375447#p375447
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 8:09 PM   #17

This was my post on the 26th of July 2005:
And in case you have missed the other posts, the first one will be the E 500, out in Sept/Oct, similar to the 300 but with a standard looking prism.
The other model will be out in Feb 06 and it will be the same as the Panasonic.
Please do not bother with the "speculation" comments.

I had posted the same details earlier on but I cannot be bother to look for them.
At that point I already had seen the 500 and the "3" ( the code name used by Olympus at that stage, later on it became the 330, was described to me, including some details about the Panasonic version).
The E500 was announced at the end of Sept 05 and was on the shelves in Oct.
The E330 was announced at the end of Jan 06 and came out in Feb. The Panasonic L1 is a 330 with a different chassis and lens. What exactly are you proving ?
For you info, the details I posted about the 2 Olympus models were also there to counteract a lot of speculation .
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:54 AM   #18

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I have to admit that Sony hasn't impressed me a lot in the consumer electronics area, with proprietary batteries, flash memory, tapes, protocols- and generally overpriced mid-quality products. I am more optomistic about these DSLR's than I was some weeks ago, though I am still glad to have a KM branded body.
I share your opinion of Sony Mercury694. They make decent products but their proprietary "everything" and not overly impressive quality (check how many Playstation IIs have failed) leave me a little cold. If Sony finally decides to make products that adapt to the customer, instead of expecting the customer to adapt to the products, they will have a winner with this DSLR. Minolta was a great camera maker, hopefully Sony will hold true to that legacy.

Ira, who uses a Pentax *istDL because he couldn't get a KM (and was a little concerned about the future)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:15 AM   #19

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Ira, who uses a Pentax *istDL because he couldn't get a KM (and was a little concerned about the future)
Ira, I don't understand why you couldn't find a KM. People are still buying them every day.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:32 AM   #20

I live in Newfoundland, up until I bought the Pentax (actually a gift from my wife, but she knows what I want) I could not even find a dealer that had an example on hand. When KM Canada shut down last fall I tried to get a quote from the online source in the US that they were re-directing Canadian customers to. They were out of stock. Yes I could purchase a camera, sight unseen, from a US dealer, and pay the import taxes etc.. The Pentax was available, I had used a *istDS extensively, I had lenses in both Maxxum and Pentax mount, and the performance differences were minimal (except of course for the anti-shake). The result was that the Pentax was nearly $200Cdn cheaper than any reputable KM source could deliver.

Would I buy a KM/SONY now, maybe, I did not get rid of my excellent Minolta lenses (my oldest son has the 19-35mm f3.5-4.5Cosina, 35-70mm f4 Maxxum, the 50mm f1.7 Maxxum and the (crossed xx) 70-210mm f4 Maxxum and a Maxxum 7000 body with program back and AF2800 flash).

That is why I still occasionally haunt this forum.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote