Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 23, 2006, 10:57 AM   #21

I would not at all be surprised to see them rebadge the 5D and offer an updated 10 mp version of the 7D with updated body ergonomics. Although it willmight stay heavy for those pro photographers who wantit to "Feel Solid". Would be nice if they kept the 5 and 7 so us KM users could have some continuity but hey if its a solid camera and the accessories are compatible the can call it a PS4 for all I care.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 7:14 PM   #22

What happens if I put a Sigma lens on an Alpha camera? Will all my photos come out in Greek??
fahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:21 PM   #23

fahfah wrote:
Quote:
What happens if I put a Sigma lens on an Alpha camera? Will all my photos come out in Greek??
Only if you pledge a fraternity.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:23 PM   #24

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
I would not at all be surprised to see them rebadge the 5D and offer an updated 10 mp version of the 7D with updated body ergonomics. Although it willmight stay heavy for those pro photographers who wantit to "Feel Solid". Would be nice if they kept the 5 and 7 so us KM users could have some continuity but hey if its a solid camera and the accessories are compatible the can call it a PS4 for all I care.
I agree, and a recent article I read stated that low end DSLR was where the money was, so even if we see a 10 MP Pro type body, they will have to satisfy the needs of the future 5D/7D buyers.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:28 AM   #25

True, hearsay should be regarded with some suspicion until confirmed of course, but....

I was in my local dealers today and he said that the Sony Alpha is essentially a rebadged 5D. The 7D no longer being produced.

Also, that they are using the existing KM staff and factory.

Just heard
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:42 AM   #26
Administrator

There are lots of rumours floating around, and I wouldn't believe everything you hear. For every rumour I've seen that says it's a rebadged 5D, I've found another rumour claiming it's using a 10MP sensor (including a recent one from someone claiming to have seen the product brochure).

We'll find out soon enough what the specs are for the first Alpha. It probably will target the entry level DSLR market (that's what I'd do if I were Sony and wanted to grab marketshare as fast as possible). As for the sensor, flip a coin. ;-)

Personally, I wouldn't care if it's 6MP or 10MP. But, Sony wants to capture more than 25% of the DSLR market over the next few years, and you don't take marketshare away from Canon and Nikon without a product that's going to attract buyers.

Pentax just announced two new DSLR models using a 6MP sensor earlier this week. 6MP is all most users need anyway. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes 10MP either. After all, the Sony 10MP sensor used in the Nikon D200 has been out for a while now; and Pentax and Samsung have already announced that they're working on new 10MP DSLR models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:01 PM   #27

The discussion here seems to be centered around extensions of the 5D and 7D technology, perhaps with updated, higher resolution sensors. This would make sense if Sony's goal was to quickly gain market share, leveraging the existing base of KM accessories.

Any of you care to speculate if/when Sony would jump into a full-frame (35mm) sensor configuration? Is it even possible that the end-of-year model that's being speculated would offer this sensor format? This would require older lenses from the non-digital era...or perhaps new Sony lenses.

If Sony doesn't move in this direction very, very soon, I'm afraid I'd rather sell the KM glass and move into the Canon 5D body. Sorry to speak heresy in these parts.

Any thoughts?
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:09 PM   #28
Administrator

No speculation from me. But, if I were running things, I'd be more inclined to go with a sensor size "in the middle" (a sensor with a 1.3x multiplier like some of the mid range Canon models).

That way, it would work with most lenses designed for Digital only, while allowing for a larger photosite size compared to most existing sensors with equivalent resolution, without some of the drawbacks associated with full frame sensors (edge softnesss and vignetting using many consumer lenses, etc.).

Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:50 PM   #29

Sony Alpha Wireless Flash?????

Does anyone have info on this?

Thank you, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:05 PM   #30
Administrator

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Sony Alpha Wireless Flash?????

Does anyone have info on this?

Thank you, Nicholas

Flash modes in the Alpha 100 are Auto, Fill, Rear Curtain and Wireless.

Sony retained the KM Flash system design.