Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 9, 2006, 8:06 AM   #1

Anyone heard anything on thise new range of Sony DSLR's? I can only find small media releases and the teasers on the website. Anyone have any pics, model names or specs?
RightyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Sony has not yet released any specifications for their new DSLR models (other than they will use the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax lens mount).

They did update their "teaser" site in Japan last night, with some more info letting users know that there would be more than 20 new lenses introduced over the next year.

You can find some links to the teaser web sites here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

They also included a couple of new partial photos in the flash presentation (more teasers).

Konica-Minolta and Sony have been working on the new models since July of last year (and KM will be manufacturing them for Sony). Although nothing official has been announced yet, I'd expect a press release/product launch of at least one new DSLR in early June.

I'll move this thread to our Konica Minolta DSLR forum now (since we don't have a DSLR Forum setup for Sony Alpha models yet, and I don't know if we'll combine them into one forum or not).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

Just a few points.

Sony have built a new factory for the Alpha line up and re employed about 200 ex KM technicians.

The line up will be announced on the 6 of June.

There will be one SLR (10.3mp) available towards the end of June with a full line up of lenses (23) branded Sony. Another SLR , higher end, will be out later on , between October and February ( sorry I have had conflicting reports on this one)

There will be no "movie" mode on the first model, it is a re-designed version of the 5D, nothing weird added ( in functions or design)

For the moment at least, it is called Alpha 1.Unlike the KM models, it will have the same name worldwide. ( Alpha is the Japanese name for the Dynax/Maxxum KM)
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:39 PM   #4
Administrator

Yea... I see the same forum posts from people who claim dealers have been briefed, etc.

It looks like you're taking multiple sources' stories and combining them.

Sony has already said it will be introducing 20+ lenses in their recent teasers. But, they said over the next year (not all in June).

As for the employees, that was announced, too. As for June 6, an Austrian magazine quoted Austria's head of marketing about that date as being the date for an introduction to the press. So, that may be credible.

As for the new factory, where do you get that? Chances are, they're using the same Malyasian manufacturing plants that KM made cameras in. Sony has already acquired a percentage of them.

Specs? Nothing has been released that I'm aware of. But, a 10MP sensor would be logical, since Sony has already produced 10MP sensors for both the R1 and D200 (with the D200 sensor being the same size as the sensors used in current KM models). Pentax has also announced a 10MP DSLR (and they have used Sony sensors in their DSLR models so far). Usually, when one model is introduced using a new Sony sensor, other cameras follow.

IOW, it's hearsay and guess work.

Could it be true? Sure, it might be. But, I wouldn't bet the house on it until Sony actually releases specs. It's simple deductive reasoning, with lots of rumours floating around versus official info. Sony is usually pretty tight lipped about new products until right before they want the world to know about 'em.

Old May 10, 2006, 11:45 PM   #5

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is at least one prototype going around.

Old May 11, 2006, 7:06 AM   #6
Administrator

There are always prototypes going around before a new model is introduced. :-)

I saw your other posts on it using the same sensor as the R1. That just doesn't seem likely. I think they'll go with the same size sensor as the D200 (although not necessarily the same sensor).

So, forgive me if I doubtyour sources until Sony releases specs.
Old May 11, 2006, 7:10 PM   #7

Unfortunately one cannot take apart a camera in a few seconds, so all I can tell you is what I was told by ...., specifically "it is a 10.3mp sensor, the R1 sensor"

My reason for putting some details, was only tocorrectt some comments about the body design, sensor size and this fixation about the movie mode.

Old May 11, 2006, 7:44 PM   #8
Administrator

You could be right. But, that just doesn't seem like a logical way to approach it.

You'd need to redesign the AS for that size sensor, redesign the viewfinder, have complaints from users of existing lenses about them not being wide enough for the new sensor, have more problems with noise in a smaller sensor design (considering the competition), etc.

Given that they already make a 10.2MP sensor for the D200; that would be an easier approach. You could keep the same AS mechanism, viewfinder, etc.; supplementing R&D efforts via with sensor sales to Pentax, Samsung and Nikon.

Old May 11, 2006, 9:09 PM   #9

As stated, I have no positive proof one way or the other, however it is not a 6,8 or 12mp sensor , I was passing on a comment from "someone" that was holding the camera.And BTW there is a picture of the first model already on the net, but in the final version the lens is branded Sony
Old May 11, 2006, 10:05 PM   #10

Pure speculation. It won't use the R1 sensor. Too many people saying that "someone" told them so as if they have an inside source. Come on.....................:!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote