Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 11, 2006, 9:12 AM   #11

JimC Wrote:

With the correct SCA3302M5 or M6 foot (both work, with the M6 being the newest version)

Is there any difference that's makes it preferable to go with an M6?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:18 AM   #12
Administrator

It's probably a more refined foot (better algorithms for working with the cameras). But, I don't know of any specific differences.

Metz can upgrade an older one. But, I don't know if their U.S.agent (Bogen Imaging)has the new M6 firmware available yet or not. They'd bedoing it for Metz in the U.S.

You could always ask them:

Bogen Imaging Inc.
P.O. Box 506
Ramsey, N.J. 07446-0506
Telephone: 201-818-9500
Fax: 201-818-9177
E-Mail: [email protected]

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 12:16 PM   #13

Lots of good suggestions. I'll look into the Metz options and keep an eye out for Sony over the next few months. Thanks for all the comments.
wjclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 12:53 PM   #14

Jim,

Do you know if it is true that the 5600 often has to be sent back to Minolta/Sony to be calibrated to work with the 7D? There is a seller on Ebay making that claim in one of his answers to a question he was asked by a prospective buyer. I guess he's pointing that out as a selling feature he was since his unit is used he has already done that. He is also somewhat implying that if you buy a new one, you can't send it back to Minolta since they don't exist. I would imagine that Sony would make the adjustment if needed.
Old May 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #15
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Do you know if it is true that the 5600 often has to be sent back to Minolta/Sony to be calibrated to work with the 7D?

Yes, a number of users had underexposure issues with KM strobes on DSLR models (usually with the 5600 when it occured). It appears to have somthing to do with the "curve" for flash burst length used by the preflash (these strobes will always require a preflash to judge exposure unless using them manually).

KM had a way to calibrate them to work better.

The techs at Precision (repair facility working for Sony) should be able to do the same thing if you get one that's not working correctly, as some techs were in training with KM in New Jersey prior to the turnover.

I've got a screen print of the old Q&A section about this issue from KM Europe (it was on KM Europe and KMU.S. sites, but the old links are no longer working).

Sorry about the readability of the fonts on the screen print, as I was playing around with aLinux distro at the time, and I had not "tweaked" the fonts yet (or tweaked the settings for thegraphics card).

Flash Calibration of 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D) for use on KM DSLR models

Old May 11, 2006, 2:32 PM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Do you know if it is true that the 5600 often has to be sent back to Minolta/Sony to be calibrated to work with the 7D?
Yes, a number of users had underexposure issues with KM strobes on DSLR models (usually with the 5600 when it occured). It appears to have somthing to do with the "curve" for flash burst length used by the preflash (these strobes will always require a preflash to judge exposure unless using them manually).

KM had a way to calibrate them to work better.

The techs at Precision (repair facility working for Sony) should be able to do the same thing if you get one that's not working correctly, as some techs were in training with KM in New Jersey prior to the turnover."

Is it safe to assume that the Metz units are OK out of the box?

Old May 11, 2006, 2:39 PM   #17
Administrator

Well, no system using a preflash is going to be perfect (if you're not using it's auto mode).

But, I saw one user report that the 5600 and 54MZ4 were always within a half stop of each other when testing them. I don't know how thorough the test was.

Personally, if I had one, I'd use the Metz auto mode for more consistent results (since it doesn't rely on a preflash and measures reflected light returned during the exposure). This mode has been reported to be the most accurate.

You'd need to make sure you've got the correct foot when you get one. A foot older than the SCA3302M5 may not work right without an update.

I'd verify the foot version with any vendor you order from first.

Old May 11, 2006, 3:00 PM   #18
Administrator

FYI:

B&H just got some 5600s back in.

So, if you really want one, I wouldn't hesitate (I don't know many they've got, so they may not last long).

Konica Minolta 5600HS (D) for $299.95 at B&H

Old May 11, 2006, 3:27 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
FYI:

So, if you really want one, I wouldn't hesitate (I don't know many they've got, so they may not last long).

That's what they were selling for back in March. Not a bad price when the Promaster is $29.95 w/o HSS.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:45 PM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
FYI:

I just ordered it by phone to have it shipped. They didn't actually have them in the store. The salesman told me he only had eight available and that if I ordered them on the web it might take too long and I wouldn't get it. So there are 7 left.