Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #21
Administrator

They may be gone by now then. lol

Anyone that wanted e-mail notification when they were back in stock has been notified (e-mails went out from B&H when they got them in).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 2:59 PM   #22

JimC wrote:
Quote:
They may be gone by now then. lol

Anyone that wanted e-mail notification when they were back in stock has been notified (e-mails went out from B&H when they got them in).
I was tempted to buy them all and sell them on Ebay for around 400 but that is probably more of a hastle then it's worthand it wouldn't make me rich.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:09 PM   #23
Administrator

Ebay prices are a little nuts right now.

Once Sony starts shipping lenses and accessories, things *should* calm down some, provided they've got plenty to go around.

You never know about these things though. A lot of new Sony owners may be shopping for accessories.

If I needed a better flash system that also had HSS, I'd just hit the used market and look for a bargain price on a Metz 54MZ series model. If I found a good deal on one with a foot for a different camera system, I'd just sell the foot and and get the correct one (either used and have it upgraded or buy one new).

Old May 11, 2006, 9:57 PM   #24

B&H is sold out of the 5600HS. My orderhas already been shipped.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:48 PM   #25

I was able to get my order in when they had 5 left. Much better price that what I am seeing on Ebay. Thanks for the advance notice.
wjclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:48 PM   #26

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
B&H is sold out of the 5600HS. My orderhas already been shipped.
Congratulations, I think you will be pleased with your purchase.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:45 PM   #27
Administrator

wjclerk wrote:
Quote:
I was able to get my order in when they had 5 left. Much better price that what I am seeing on Ebay. Thanks for the advance notice.
I'm glad to hear it. I was worried that you wouldn't see the posts before they ran out.

Old May 12, 2006, 9:47 PM   #28

Jim,

I got my 5600 today... unbelievably fast. They must have put it on the truck last night. I am not going to try it out until tomorrow to see how it works. Hopefully it won't need recalibrating. Will those links you posted help me determine if it's on the money?

BTW.... you would not believe the condition of the box. It's not really tattered up but it doesn't have that fresh look..... no biggie. The unbelievable part is this is the sticky tar-like smudge the size of a quarter on one side of the box. I literaly think it might be tar. If they wern't in such short supply, I would complain to B&H just to vent. I didn't take it out of the box, but everythinginside looks pretty fresh. I'll unwrap it tomorrow to make sure it's OK.

I'm just grateful I was able to get one.

B&H is usually pretty good with their stuff. I have purchased stuff from them before that looked like it had been returned, but they were only step-up adapter rings.

Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:33 AM   #29

JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Do you know if it is true that the 5600 often has to be sent back to Minolta/Sony to be calibrated to work with the 7D?

Yes, a number of users had underexposure issues with KM strobes on DSLR models (usually with the 5600 when it occured). It appears to have somthing to do with the "curve" for flash burst length used by the preflash (these strobes will always require a preflash to judge exposure unless using them manually).

KM had a way to calibrate them to work better.

The techs at Precision (repair facility working for Sony) should be able to do the same thing if you get one that's not working correctly, as some techs were in training with KM in New Jersey prior to the turnover.

I've got a screen print of the old Q&A section about this issue from KM Europe (it was on KM Europe and KMU.S. sites, but the old links are no longer working).

Sorry about the readability of the fonts on the screen print, as I was playing around with aLinux distro at the time, and I had not "tweaked" the fonts yet (or tweaked the settings for thegraphics card).

Flash Calibration of 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D) for use on KM DSLR models

Jim, I just read in Friedman's book that the calibration applied to 7Ds that were manfactured with firmware prior to 1.10. The units that go back to the factory get the firmware upgrade, factory calibration and an "engineering firmware adjustment".

In any event my unit has the latest revision and so far the flash works great.

Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:46 AM   #30

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
Steve's first look for the Sony Alpha states that KM's 5600 and 3600 are compatible with the Alpha, but are Sony's HVL-F56AM and HVL-F36AM backwards compatible with the 7D? I imagine they might be the same flash units as KM's, but you never know. If they are compatible, then that should help solve the availability issues.
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote