Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1

I have been looking for the KM 5600 Flash for a while and they seem to have evaporated nearly overnight. The few places around the web that appear to still have them for sale (even reportedly "in stock") are all backordered. At this point, with KM out of the photo business, I don't know whether to have any confidence that a backorder will ever be filled. Ebay seems to be the only place to find these flashes, and they are now going for over $500US.

Do any of you who have been keeping up on this issue think it is worth seeing if any stock becomes available, holding out for Sony to release a product that will fill the niche that the 5600 had, or is there another manufacturer that makes a product that comes close to the integrated functionality with the 5D/7D that the 5600 had? I am somewhat of a newby to photography and was trying to get a camera outfit that would grow with me as I progressed in understanding and technique. Having a flash that does not have to be programmed but could set itself based on information provided from the camera seemed to be just the thing, but I am wondering now if that will end up being a pipe dream. Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated.
wjclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2

The Minolta 3600HS flash is also getting hard to find and pricey. It only took 7 hours to sellmy 3600HSon eBay for $259.95. A good return on my investment considering I bought it for $125 in December 2005. Here are the auction links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7617800337

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7570615929

Randy Wheeler
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

And a month ago I got one (5600HS) from Digital Photo for $285! I would keep looking for a deal through KEH or B&H. You might get lucky and find a used one. If not, Sony will announce something someday soon.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:58 PM   #4
Administrator

wjclerk wrote:
Quote:
Do any of you who have been keeping up on this issue think it is worth seeing if any stock becomes available, holding out for Sony to release a product that will fill the niche that the 5600 had, or is there another manufacturer that makes a product that comes close to the integrated functionality with the 5D/7D that the 5600 had?
Sure... Get a Metz 54MZ3 or 54MZ4. Users I know that have both the 5600 and 54MZ4 prefer the Metz.

With the correct SCA3302M5 or M6 foot (both work, with the M6 being the newest version), it's got full integration with the 5D or 7D, just like the 5600HS (D), and also has wireless and HSS.

In addition, it's got it's own Auto Modes that can use the strobe's built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure. When used in Auto mode, you also have the benefit of eliminating the preflash associated with a KM strobe (and the strobe is aware of your camera settings and knows how much reflected light to look for based on the aperture and ISO speed you're shooting at).

To get this functionality, you'll need the latest SCA3302M5 or M6 foot for one.

This strobe (including the foot) sells for $389.95 *before* rebates at B&H:

Metz 54MZ4 with dedicated SCA3302 foot for Minolta models at B&H

Note that Metz can upgrade an older SCA3302 foot if you find one on the used market. You'll need the latest SCA3302M5 or M6 to work correctly with a KM DSLR (or let Metz upgrade an older one).

If you don't need HSS, in a flash that's not as powerful as the 54MZ3 or 54MZ4, look at the Metz 40MZ3 (they're not too bad on the used market). Again, get the latest SCA3302M5 or M6 foot and they can talk to the camera so that the strobe is aware of the camrea settings. But, if you want to use one for fill flash at wider apertures in bright light, it would be better to get a 54MZ series strobe (they have HSS so that you're not limited by the X-Sync speed).

Personally, I went with a non-dedicated solution. I spent a total of $48 for my solution, including an adapter to give my 5D an ISO standard hotshoe, along with two used strobes to go with it.

Adapter: $16
Sunpak 222 Auto: $7
Sunpak 333 Auto: $25

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:13 PM   #5

What are the differences between the 54MZ3 and 54MZ4?

Does the auto focus assist sensor work in any mode you put the flash in or just ADI and TTL? Does it work with the flash turned off like the 3600HS and 55600HS do?

Since using the Sunpak 433D flash, I sorta miss the the focus assist I had on the3600HS flash using my 17-80 kit lens in dark situations sinceit is not that bright. I would ideally want to use the Metz in Auto mode to turn off the preflash but still have focus assist functional.

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:58 PM   #6
Administrator

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
What are the differences between the 54MZ3 and 54MZ4?

Does the auto focus assist sensor work in any mode you put the flash in or just ADI and TTL? Does it work with the flash turned off like the 3600HS and 55600HS do?
The 54MZ3 and 54MZ4 share the same user guide. I'm not sure what (if any) difference there are between them, other than the 54MZ4 is newer.

Here's the link to the manual if you want to dig through it.

User Guide for Metz 54MZ3 and 54MZ4

There is an even newer version out now (the Metz 54MZ4i), but I think the only changes are some features specific to Nikon models using the foot for Nikons.

That is one benefit of a Metz system. You can use the same strobe on multiple cameras by changing the foot.

The only quirk that I'm aware of is that you have to press the mode button on the Metz and when TTL begins blinking, rotate the control wheel counter clockwise (up) until you see HSS appear in the window to set it up to work properly for TTL. I've seen this discussed by Metz owners

Quote:
My guess is that the AF assist probably works in Auto Mode, too (since Auto Mode is aware of the camera settings, it seems likely that it would be aware of the need to turn on the AF assist). That's only speculation, as I have not seen anyone discuss that. I have no idea if it would work with the flash turned off (not even speculation).

Old May 11, 2006, 12:00 AM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
To get this functionality, you'll need the latest SCA3302M5 or M6 foot for one.

This strobe (including the foot) sells for $389.95 *before* rebates at B&H:

Metz 54MZ4 with dedicated SCA3302 foot for Minolta models at B&H

Note that Metz can upgrade an older SCA3302 foot if you find one on the used market. You'll need the latest SCA3302M5 or M6 to work correctly with a KM DSLR (or let Metz upgrade an older one).

I see this one at B&H that says it has a dedicated foot for the Maxxum. Is this all I need? Does dedicated mean I can't change it later?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:02 AM   #8
Administrator

It ships with the SCA3302 for Maxxum models. Yes, you can change it later with the MZ series strobes. B&H is most likely still shipping the SCA3302M5 foot (the M6 is hard to come by since it's new). But, the M5 works.

The MF series strobes do not have a changeable foot (and you don't have the same feature set, auto mode, etc. with the cheaper MF series). I'd probably steer clear of those (although I don't know anyone that's tried one).

Old May 11, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The only quirk that I'm aware of is that you have to press the mode button on the Metz and when TTL begins blinking, rotate the control wheel counter clockwise (up) until you see HSS appear in the Metz window to set it up to work properly for TTL. I've seen this discussed by Metz owners.

Jim, in your post the above text in red is set to black and not visible unless you select the text.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 8:20 AM   #10
Administrator

Thanks. I fixed it.

The software used by the forums allows you to set preferences for a "Board Theme".

I use the Default theme. You're most likely using the Shades theme (which is a custom theme designed to match the colors of the main site at http://www.steves-digicams.comthat we automatically set new members to).

Unfortunately, sometimes text that looks fine under one theme, doesn't look fine under another theme. So, it's best to avoid using text other than the default (don't even change it when you type).

I had to highlight your text to see that you were telling me you had to highlight my text. ;-)

Fun. :-)

To see how the themes work, go to your Preferences Tab under the My Account button at the top of the page. Here is a direct link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/m..._preferences=1