Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

Last weekend I went to a photoshoot sponsored by these guys: http://www.glamourphotonet.com/. I posted a bunch of pictures in the Panasonic forum because that's my old group of buddies, but most of the shots I took were taken with the KM5D. Rather than taking up more bandwidth here, check out the link over at the Panasonic forum. Hope you enjoy them. None of these shots had any post processing applied, btw.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2

What kind of lighting was used?

Randy Wheeler
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
What kind of lighting was used?

Randy Wheeler
Some natural light, some fill in flash (Sunpak 433D with Omni Bounce).

Old May 10, 2006, 2:19 PM   #4

Nice shots. What lens did you use?

Seems like a nice group, Ill consider joining and may get some useful tips. Plus you getto see beautiful subjects.

Im not using the FZ30 that much anymore but my 14 year old seems to like it more.
royco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 2:25 PM   #5

I largely use the Tamron 28-300 XR lens as my all around ultra zoom. It's $145 on ebay. Great quality as far as I am concerned. There is a string on this in KM DSLR forum: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84. I love that lens, keepit on 90% of the time.I got an ultra zoom, image stabilized DSLR for about $650. A dream come true for me. But I also have a few more, faster lenses for low light if needed.
Old May 10, 2006, 3:02 PM   #6

How do you set your camera up to do fill flash outdoors with the Sunpak flash?Is the camerain Manual mode or some Auto mode? Are you putting the flash in Manual and using, for example, 1/16 power? Camera exposure compensation? Using auto white balance on the camera?

Basically, whatgeneral rules doyou followwhenusingthis camerawith theSunpak flash outdoors as a fill flash?

Randy Wheeler

Old May 10, 2006, 7:52 PM   #7

Honestly, I had to figure it out manually. Obviously since there is no communication between the camera and the flash, proper exposure took me a while to get right. I added the Sto-fen Omni Bounce, set the flash to M (Manual=full power), shot at shutter priority 1/160 in order to sync, and adjusted exposure by about -2/3 EV in order to compensate for the additional flash which the camera did not anticipate in its metering. After quite a few of missed shots, I developed "a feel" for the right settings, but I should have brought my friend's 3600 which I am still borrowing. It would have made life easier. Only thing is, I like the Sto-fen diffuser and it does not fit on the 3600, but I guess I could have just held it up against it...
Old May 11, 2006, 5:12 AM   #8

Here is the Metz 54 MZ-4 operating instructionson how to dofill-in flash in auto mode with their flash:

• Switch on the mecablitz with the main switch.

• Depress the Mode button repeatedly until A flashes on the display. Push the setting disk in the direction of the arrow to store this setting. The selected operating mode will be automatically stored after approx. 5 seconds if the setting disk is not pressed. The A symbol will remain permanent and stop flashing after storage.

In automatic mode the flash is controlled by the sensor built into the mecablitz. Ensure that backlight does not shine directly on to the sensor as this will confuse the electronics of the flash unit.

Use the camera's or a hand-held exposure meter, to establish the required aperture and shutter speed for a normal exposure. Ensure that the shutter speed either equals, or is slower than the fastest flash synch speed (varies with different camera models).

Example:

Established aperture = f/8;
Established shutter speed = 1/60th sec.

Flash synch speed of the camera e.g. 1/100th sec. (see operating instructions for the given camera).

The two established values for aperture and shutter speed can be set on the camera because the camera's shutter speed is slower than the camera's flash sync speed.

To obtain a balanced fill-in light, for instance in order to retain the character of the shadows, it is advisable to select on the flashgun an auto aperture that is one increment lower than the aperture set on the camera. In our example f/8 was set on the camera. Consequently, we advise you to set f/5.6 on the flash unit.

If the mecablitz is fitted with an SCA 3xx2 adapter and the camera automatically transmits the f-stop values to the mecablitz, then manual aperture setting is no longer possible! In this case manual flash-exposure correction can be used in the automatic flash mode (see Chapter 14).

Manual flash-exposure correction in automatic mode can also be used if the camera does not transmit any data to the mecablitz.

Additional correction of the aperture value is then no longer necessary!

Tip:

If possible, take a meter reading of the subject's background separately from the actual subject. Experience has shown that a correction value of -1 EV (f-stop) to 1 2/3 EV for the auto aperture on the mecablitz produces the best results in fill-in flash mode.

Randy Wheeler