Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2006, 3:24 PM   #1

I thought anyone requiring warranty service for their Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7/5D might like to hear about the experience I've had with Precision Camera in Connecticut so far (Sony's service center for the eastern US.)

1. Precision Camera ignores emails. I've sent 3 over the course of 2 weeks with no response. If you call them, you are instantly put on hold. I left a call back number once - they never called back. The muzak sucks, too.

2. I sent my camera in using express shipping (to the tune of $25). Your camera will sit at their location for at least a week before it's "loaded" into their system. So, save yourself any express shipping charges and mail your camera in on the cheap.

3. They tell you that it's a 7-10 day turnaround - but don't tell you about the time it takes for your equipment to get "loaded" into their system.

4. They can't/won't tell you anything about your camera until it's loaded into their system. They wouldn't even confirm that my camera had been delivered.

So, it looks like I'm going to be killing more paying shoots. I should have dropped the damn thing from a 10 story building - my insurance would have covered that and I could have gotten a new camera within a week.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 3:24 PM   #2

God forbid any of you need warranty service with Precision Camera. The 10 day service period has expired but the "secretary" refuses to admit that it has been 10 days (the starting date for the repair period shifts every time I call.)

I get a different story every time I call. They say my concerns are being forwarded to "management" but I never get the return call that's promised. They still won't answer emails.

All I've got to say is this: my camera better be immaculate and perfect when I get it back.

Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:11 PM   #3

Well, for anyone interested, my warranty repair has been resolved. Was my 7D fixed? Of course not. Sony is going to "buy back" my camera for the purchase price. So, for the time being, I'm going to be sitting on about $1,000 worth of Minolta lenses and accessories until the Alpha comes out.

I suppose it's resolution - just not what I hopped for.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
God forbid any of you need warranty service with Precision Camera.
Amen to that. After two months of NOTHING from Precision Camera, Sony finally called and offered to buy my lens back. They got my info from Precision Camera and sent me a check for $1849.00. Sounds good so far, right? Wrong. Two weeks later I called Sony only to find that Precision Camera gave Sony a partially incorrect address. Sony stopped payment on the check and are going to re-issue a new check to my proper address. The only problem here is - Sony only issues checks once a month. The next check will be issued on July 12 and should arrive within 2 weeks. Nice.

Needless to say, I'm not too thrilled with Precision Camera. Assuming I get the check by July 26, I'll be without that lens for about five (5) months. Nice.

That being said, the customer service gal at Sony was VERY nice and she DID return my calls.
vision 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:26 PM   #5

I can't figure out how to get the quotes to work, but you're right about Sony being helpful and polite, vision 1. I had ZERO problems once Sony got involved. In fact, it only took two telephone calls and one return call to verify the refund.

My check is supposed to get cut on July 12th, too! LOL! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

I have no use for Precision Camera whatsoever. They never answered any of my messages (email or call-back) and would put my calls on hold for at least 30 minutes. If I do decide to get an Alpha, I flat-out refuse to send any of my warranty service to Precision.

Maybe, if enough people complain about them, Sony will find a different authorized service center.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6

Due to html issues many forums don't allow quotation marks. I use the single quote mark instead where that is the case. ( ' )

Too bad about Precision Camera, if I have an issue within the warranty I'll pay the local guy to fix it. ( I do this most of the time anyhow) The Mack warranty picks up in 6 months when the KM one ends (refurbished body warranty is 6 mos) and they also are said to have good customer service though I've never actually needed them.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:42 PM   #7

Iam alsoin a similar situation. Had to send in my camera 4 times to precision for repair and still it is not fixed. I dont have sony's service center number. Can somebody please reply to this with their number. Why is precison not telling me if they cant fix the problem. Please help, dont know what to do next.

Initially it was a lens problem, which turned out to be a memory problem when i got it back the first time. The rest of the times whenI got my camera back, it stopped powering up as well. Now I have this beautiful looking camera, but does not even start. Its still under warrenty, although i lost 2 months of it while it was with Precision.

What else can i do?
Cedricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:01 PM   #8

Are you sending it to Precision or Laredo?

What kind of camera is it?

I ran into an issue with PCI with my 5D only I don't complain to much because sony bought it back and I got a 7D instead.

Luckey me on that one, but I've since upgraded to A700 and got very good service from Sony's laredo service center when I had to send my 85F14 in because of a defect in the glass.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:08 AM   #9

Its a sony cybershot W-120 black camera. It was send to Precision Camera Services, CT(Sony's Authorised service center). How can I get sony involved in this case? Do you have sony's contact number that you used? If so, please send it to me.

Any advise is really appreciated.

Regards

Cedrick.
Cedricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:00 PM   #10

1-800-222-7669 (SONY)

International (Calling from outside the US or Canada): 1-239-768-7669

Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00AM-10:00PM / Sat-Sun 10:30AM-7:15PM EST

:|
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote