Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 12, 2006, 1:28 PM   #11

I've been buying UV and CPOL filters on e-bay. Mostly Hoya, Sunpak or Cokin. I think Hoya is definitely a good brand, and Sunpak/Cokin are "good enough". The Hoya's shipped from Asia are pretty cheap, even after shipping.

Recently I bought a set of 3 filters from Fotodiox on ebay. It was a really good deal (25USD for 3: UV, CPOL, and Diffuser in 62mm). But the build quality sucks. The rotation on the CPOL feels cheap and fragile, and the glass on the UV feels like it's going to fall out if i push it. Conclusion: don't buy the super cheap stuff! For a little bit more, you can get the brands I mentioned above.
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:30 PM   #12

Plus it is image-stabilized at no extra cost! Sony better keep that option on the Alpha.

Randy Wheeler
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:32 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
Took the plunge. Just bought the 70-210mm f/4 for $192 usd. :shock:
Congrats! Make sure to share some photos you take with it.

Even though that seems terribly high compared to not long ago, that's still one heck of a bargain for a high quality lens with that focal range with a constant f/4 available.

Look at what a Canon 70-200mm f/4L would cost you. :-)

Yeah that's what I figured too. I read a bunch more reviews, especilaly on dyxum.com, and some people compared it to Canon L glass. If that's the case, then GIMME!! :lol:

I also considered the 100-200mm f/4.5, which is considered the "little brother" of the 70-210mm f/4, but with similar optics and performance. But I figured I'm done with experimenting with cheaper lenses - time to bring on the beercan!

I'm going to hit the zoo again in a few weeks. I'll post some results.
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:49 PM   #14

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
Plus it is image-stabilized at no extra cost! Sony better keep that option on the Alpha.

Randy Wheeler

You mean you missed the Sony Alpha Thread????

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_7867.html
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:02 PM   #15

Hey Rusty!!!

I will glady take those lenses that you are unhappy with off you hands so that you can make room in your bag for much better equipment.

I'll even pay postage as long as it's not over 20 bucks US.:|
Old May 14, 2006, 10:32 AM   #16

Hi RU5tY!

My ONLY brand of all my filters...since 30 years is Hama, an a old business firm, from Germany, which to my eruditeness; is made by Hoya in Japan for them. Of course I ALWAYS...buy the "BEST" of the whole Hama line, today with 14 layers Multi-Coating, 7 each side...on UV type filter & also the "Flimsiest' one...mostly suggested for "Ultra-Wide Angle" lenses...I love it mainly to obtain maximum "Lens Hood"...results. Maybe I'm a little bit "Perfectionist"!

The Pol.circ one ONLY is made with the "Regular" HTMC coating,8 multi coating...seems me 4 on each side..as you may look at my attached photo.

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 10:36 AM   #17

Hi Maxxum 7D!

The other side, on the filter boxes, which I use since 30 years ago!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 9:52 AM   #18

Anyone know if there is an optical difference between the KM 50MM 1.7 and the "XX" version of the same lens? I imagine the "XX" is the same only older and the non "XX" is just a rebadge, but thought I'd ask. I also wonder if the "XX" will hold a slightly higher value as it becomes more rare.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:01 PM   #19

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know if there is an optical difference between the KM 50MM 1.7 and the "XX" version of the same lens? I imagine the "XX" is the same only older and the non "XX" is just a rebadge, but thought I'd ask. I also wonder if the "XX" will hold a slightly higher value as it becomes more rare.
The crossed xx was dropped after a lawsuit filed by Exxon. The ccurious thing is that Exxon offered Maxxum cameras in their credit card bill inserts. I see the crossed xx selling for a $5-10 premium, but unless you like the history, it's no better than the ones that followed. I picked one up 10 years ago for less thna $30 with a Minolta UV filter, but would not pay more for the feature.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 11:49 PM   #20

On the XX versions of Maxxum lenses- they do now and will likely continue to command a higher price for 2 reasons. The lawsuit mentioned above limited their production to a bit under 2 years (as my memory serves me- correct me if wrong) and buying them is a no brainer- all of them have the metal mount and their construction is considered sturdier than newer (lighter) designs. Some also consider them optically superior, but I seriously doubt there is any merit to that. I have both 50mm lense and see no difference optically. I'm sure a new prime would focus faster, but I can't get myself to buy a plastic mount lens.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote