Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 16, 2006, 7:18 AM   #21

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
On the XX versions of Maxxum lenses- they do now and will likely continue to command a higher price for 2 reasons. The lawsuit mentioned above limited their production to a bit under 2 years (as my memory serves me- correct me if wrong) and buying them is a no brainer- all of them have the metal mount and their construction is considered sturdier than newer (lighter) designs. Some also consider them optically superior, but I seriously doubt there is any merit to that. I have both 50mm lense and see no difference optically. I'm sure a new prime would focus faster, but I can't get myself to buy a plastic mount lens.
Possibly superior to a new 50mm, but not to a 1988 vintage IMO. I recall that as I read of the lawsuit in Modern Photography, I had in my hands a bill insert from Exxon for the Maxxum with a lens, both with crossed xx. I do not for the life of me see how Maxxum could have hurt Exxon.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:35 AM   #22

Oh, I agree. There is no difference between the same era lenses optically, the crossed x's are just an easy way to tell that you are getting a lens made early in Maxxum production which some consider superior optically to "modern" lenses. There is one certain advantage of these early lenses which is the stainless steel mount, I think this alone is worth the price premium regardless of whether or not the glass is actually superior. I would suspect that if judged honestly, the new coatings and aspherical elements would make new glass superior optically in the same lens. One major issue to me is the lack of design for better aperture values except in APO lenses, many early Maxxum lenses are superior in this way also. Perhaps having access to multiple ISO's on any given shot reduces the sting of smaller maximum aperture.

I expect that Minolta badged lenses will enjoy a similar price premium over Sony badged models in the future both due to supply/demand and perceived quality differences (real or not).

I am also certain that the Maxxum line of cameras posed no competitive threat to Exxon, but trademarks are guarded jealously and the laws favor the trademark holders. There are far more rediculous trademarks- Did you know McDonalds owns the trademark to the shape of their buildings? You cannot re-use a McDonalds building for any purpose unless you alter it so it doesn't resemble a McDonalds building. A local man here was sued by McDonalds for this and wound up selling the building back to McDonalds.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 12:04 AM   #23

Well, finally got the 70-210 in the mail today. Haven't had time to test it out yet, but I decided to do a family portrait. :G

larger size: http://ru5ty.netfirms.com/gallery/nf...011_resize.jpg
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 12:13 AM   #24

One question - which teleconverter will work with my 70-210 f/4, and 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ?

What differences are there, and what do you guys use? Thanks!
Old May 30, 2006, 12:30 AM   #25

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
Well, finally got the 70-210 in the mail today. Haven't had time to test it out yet, but I decided to do a family portrait. :G

larger size: http://ru5ty.netfirms.com/gallery/nf...011_resize.jpg
In a perfect world, each one of the those lenses would be attached to a camera so their would be no need to switch lenses. Addicting isn't it? I'm up to five including a recent EBay purchase of a 70-210mm F4.

And then there will be lenses by Sony to choose from..... Oh my!

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 3:33 PM   #26

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
In a perfect world, each one of the those lenses would be attached to a camera so their would be no need to switch lenses. Addicting isn't it? I'm up to five including a recent EBay purchase of a 70-210mm F4.

And then there will be lenses by Sony to choose from..... Oh my!

It IS addicting!

Maybe I should've waited for the Sony lenses to come out, before buying the beercan...oh well...
Old May 30, 2006, 3:54 PM   #27
Administrator

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
One question - which teleconverter will work with my 70-210 f/4, and 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ?

You may have difficulty using a TC with the 75-300mm (since you'd lose a stop of light with a 1.4x TC, and lose two stops with a 2x TC).

On the long end, that means you'd be down to largest available aperture of f/8 with a 1.4x TC, and f/11 with a 2x TC. Conventional wisdom has it that AF systems won't work past about f/6.3 (although KM has a 500mm AF Mirror lens that the camera can focus with at f/8, no other manufacturer can AF at f/8 ).

That's not to say it's impossible to do if light is good enough. But, a TC on a lens as slow as your 75-300mm on it's long end would not normally work well enough to be practical after light loss from a TC.

You may want to look at this thread about Teleconverters to get some ideas:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:20 AM   #28

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:

You may have difficulty using a TC with the 75-300mm (since you'd lose a stop of light with a 1.4x TC, and lose two stops with a 2x TC).

On the long end, that means you'd be down to largest available aperture of f/8 with a 1.4x TC, and f/11 with a 2x TC. Conventional wisdom has it that AF systems won't work past about f/6.3 (although KM has a 500mm AF Mirror lens that the camera can focus with at f/8, no other manufacturer can AF at f/8 ).

That's not to say it's impossible to do if light is good enough. But, a TC on a lens as slow as your 75-300mm on it's long end would not normally work well enough to be practical after light loss from a TC.

You may want to look at this thread about Teleconverters to get some ideas:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

Jim, thanks for the informative post! I'll check out that other thread also.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:19 AM   #29

I just won a Maxxum 70-210 F4 on EBay for 113.50 plus about $15 for shipping. Don't know why I was able to do it but this lens was going for an unusuallylow amount (around 60 bucks) until I started bidding at the very last minute. Based on the description and available pictures it appears in good shape. There are other lens being bid on at the moment for around 170 and up. I don't understand how most of the bidders missed this one. I think the cheapest I have seen this go for recently is around 150.00 and it's not like anything was misspelled so that people missed it and nothing in the description that should have deterred bidding. At that price, even if I don't like it, I should be able to sell it and even make a profit. I have noticed that prices on KM lenses have gotten a little better lately but not this good.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:28 AM   #30

Before I comment on yourMaxxum 70-210mm F4lens, here's the link to the auction you won on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623573504

First, thereare no pics of the lens glass and that takes me out of the bidding right away unless the lens is new. I've seen plenty of auctions on eBay for this lens where they say "excellent condition" and have a pic of the front glass full of dust/dirt, some scratchesor the rubber grip is in poor condition. The grip in the auction you won looks dirty or possibly dried out.

For example, here'san auction that states in its description, "The lens is in excellent used condition. This lens is in pristine, clean condition." Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623858753

Notice the pic of the front lens glass? Look pristine to you? The rubber grip does look in better shape than one you won.

Remember these aren't new lenses you are buying and they may beover 20 years old in some cases. Even thoughthe 70-210 F4lensisselling for around the $150 range now, do you think each one is in the same exact condition at the same price?

I'm personally waiting to see the Sony Alpha lenses and what the prices are before bidding on any more used lenses on eBay. Maybe enough other people are doing the same and there are not as many people bidding on lenses thus lowering the prices that sellers are getting.

Looking forward to the used Minolta lens market to crash soon,

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote