Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:13 AM   #31

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
Before I comment on the lens you won on eBay, here's the link to the auction you won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623573504

First, there is no pics of the lens glass and that takes me out of the bidding right away. I've seen plenty of auctions on eBay for this lens where they say "excellent condition" and have a pic of the front glass full of dust/dirt, some scratchesor the rubber grip is in poor condition. The grip in the auction you won looks dirty or possibly dried out.

For example, here'san auction that states in its description, "The lens is in excellent used condition. This lens is in pristine, clean condition." Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623858753

Notice the pic of the front lens glass? Look pristine to you? Remember these aren't new lenses you are buying and they may be up to 20 years old in some cases. Even though these lenses are going for around the $150 range now, do you think each one is in the same exact condition at the same price?

I'm personally waiting to see the Sony Alpha lenses and what the prices are before bidding on any more used lenses on eBay. Maybe enough other people are doing the same and there are not as many people bidding on lenses thus lowering the prices sellers are getting.

Looking forward to used Minolta lens market to crash soon,

Randy Wheeler
Thanks for the link to the auction I won, but I don't needit, I already have it.:lol:

I wouldn't go by the picture of the grip. I've seen pictures like that before where the grip looked dull or light and it was just a case of bad photography.In fact all of the lenses I have purchased on EBay look better than the pictures that were posted.

Truth of the matter is someone can say anything they want on EBay and post pictures that aren't even of the actual item. It's obvious that when you purchase something on EBay, there is a chance that you might not get what you expect. It alsoobvious that people at times misrepresent the conditon of what they sell. In some case its intentional and in some cases it'sunintentional. It's also obvious that they are not all in the same condition at the same price. It's also obvious that some people are inclined to waitto see what comes out from Sony and that prices have dropped slightly.

I'm also waiting to see what Sony has to offer, but in the meantime I'm purchasing used and new lenses at very reasonable prices. I have yet to be burned on anything I have purchased on Ebay. In this case theseller has almost all positive feedback, butifthe 113 dollars I just spent buys me a lens in a condition less than desirable, it's no big deal. It's only 113 dollars and more than likely I can re-sell it on EBay.I'll let you know how I make out.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:05 PM   #32

Cavemandude wrote:
Quote:
Looking forward to the used Minolta lens market to crash soon,

Randy Wheeler

That's only one side of the story. With the upcoming availability of Sony lenses, people *might* start migrating towards Sony lenses and dump their Minolta lenses on ebay. However,the cost to get new Sony gear is a limiting factor, and will be a barrier for a while for most average consumers and prosumers. It will also take several years before Sony Alpha lenses become more widely available on the used/2nd hand market at more reasonable prices.

Also, you are assuming that everyone is going to dump their Minolta glass in favour for Sony glass. Personally I'd probably just buy Sony gear and continue to add to my arsenal of lenses. The Minolta glass isn't that expensive anyways (on ebay), and it doesn't hurt to have several lenses that cover various focal lengths.

On the other hand, when all the new people start getting Sony Alpha's, they might not want to spend big coin on new expensive Sony lenses. With backwards compatible Minolta Maxxum mount lenses that are "tried, tested, and true", there's a good chance that Sony Alpha owners will want quality Minolta glass and don't want to spend alot on new Alpha lenses. As such, there will be an influx of buyers for used Minolta gear.

Therefore, I think a crash in the Minolta lens market is unlikely. A correction may occur, but probably not for some time.

Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:08 PM   #33

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I just won a Maxxum 70-210 F4 on EBay for 113.50 plus about $15 for shipping. Don't know why I was able to do it but this lens was going for an unusuallylow amount (around 60 bucks) until I started bidding at the very last minute. Based on the description and available pictures it appears in good shape. There are other lens being bid on at the moment for around 170 and up. I don't understand how most of the bidders missed this one. I think the cheapest I have seen this go for recently is around 150.00 and it's not like anything was misspelled so that people missed it and nothing in the description that should have deterred bidding. At that price, even if I don't like it, I should be able to sell it and even make a profit. I have noticed that prices on KM lenses have gotten a little better lately but not this good.

That's a hot deal!

This is the one I bought. I coudln't even see the glass...lol...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7616879068

It turned out to be in excellent condition, as described. I did check the seller's history prior to bidding, and he had sold alot of camera gear and had ok feedback.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:32 PM   #34

Ru5tY, I was specifically commenting onmeanstreak's auction and not auctions in general. Seller reputation, current feedback and what they have been selling recently are all factors I also consider.

Obviously if the seller has excellent current feedback for recently selling other mint condition Minolta lenses with no up-close glass pics, which was true in your case,then I would have no problembidding on their auction. Here's another lens that was recently sold by your seller with excellent buyer feedback for it and similar pics to your auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7618251075

That was not the case with meanstreak's auction. That seller had no feedback since Nov 2005 so you don't know what they've been selling or buying especially camera gear. Plus they are hiding the glass again in an auction for another Minolta lens, what a tease! Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7623816906

Randy Wheeler

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:02 PM   #35

Randy can always be trusted to be the "glass is empty to the last drop" kinda guy. I have had only one bad lens in hundreds of ebay transactions so far and the seller immediately refunded the money without askingfor a return of the lens.I think you'll be probably happy with your purchase, meanstreak.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:15 AM   #36

Rduve, you're one lucky guy. The first ebay lens I bought had a loose element - you could hear it rattle and of course it couldn't generate an image. Luckily it was a local *dealer* so I went to pick it up and pay. The look on his face as he tried to focus it on my camera was a study in steely denial. He insisted the lens was fine until I shook it in his face. Sheesh.

I've had good luck with individual sellers and two bad experiences with dealers. One name to avoid - Cambridge. Another name to avoid - Cambridge Photo. A third name to avoid - Cambridge Photo World. If I think of any more, I'll post them.
cgbraggjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:22 AM   #37

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Randy can always be trusted to be the "glass is empty to the last drop" kinda guy. I have had only one bad lens in hundreds of ebay transactions so far and the seller immediately refunded the money without askingfor a return of the lens.I think you'll be probably happy with your purchase, meanstreak.

Rainer

The seller has a return and refund policy and I already have been in contact with her about the actual condition of the lens..... I am not worried. Like I said in one of my earlier responses.... it's only 113.00 dollars. For some people thatmay be an issue, but for me, thankfully it isn't.

Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:39 AM   #38

Well.... for anyone who's interested, my 70-210mm F4 arrived today and it is in much better shape than I thought. The glass is spotless and as flawless as I can tell. There are no dents or dings in the body. The Af works perfectly so I think it's a keeper. The only defect is the lens cap. The plastic circle that makes up the spring tension is cracked, but I think a drop of crazy glues might fix that. In the meantime, I have to line up the cracked part to get it to stay. Worst case scenario, I will getanother cap.

Another great lens from EBay.... I'm doing the happy dance!

[align=center][/align]
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:37 PM   #39

Glad to hear it. I was pretty sure everything was going to be fine. Let us know how that lens compares.

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:04 PM   #40

some pics along the lakeshore, just west of downtown Toronto...

taken with the beercan 70-210 f/4

the flying swan was cropped, but everything else is the original size

Mid-flight

Look behind you

Racing Ducks

Multitasking?

i'm pretty happy about the beercan lens, and thequality images that it can produce. but now i am seriously thinking of also getting a 100-300mm APO, because it's lighter and so i can have more reach...

btw, i also bought a 28-75mm f/2.8last night...this lens addiction must stop!!!