Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 13, 2006, 9:31 PM   #1

I graduated from college today and have some extra cash now. I have been wanting a 5D but haven't had the funds in a while. I have them now and wonder if I buy now will it be a waste or will I be one of the lucky ones to end up with a KM body? If the alpha has a much better sensor I think it may be worth the wait, I have waited quite a while and accumulated lenses in the process. i have 2 panasonic superzooms now (FZ15 and my wifes FZ4) we have a baby due in October and I would like the camera to play with over the summer.

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 9:55 PM   #2

Ernie,

Congratulations on the graduation. UT Galveston, A&M Galveston, or where?

That's a hard question to answer. Whatever Sony brings out, the price is sure to be higher than what you can get a 5D for today. Some people advise waiting, especially if you are buying used lenses at the current inflated prices. Typical street price for the 5D with the 18-70 kit lens is ±$599, $100 less than I paid at Wolf 6 weeks ago.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 12:38 AM   #3

Ernie,

I agree with Cope. I paid $649 online at Digitalfotoclub.com a month ago. It's $794 on Wolfcamera.com, but I just saw it today at a Wolf Camera in Atlanta (Peachtree Center downtown)for $599...with the kit lens. The salesman told me they'll only last until they're out of stock.

I just can't imagine Sony will come out with initial Alpha prices that low. And if you've been reading the forums I'm sure you know that the 6.1 megapixel sensor in the 5D is more than adequate for the serious amateur. The image improvement above this level is negligible at best. I really believe the manufacturers are creating a sort of "MegaPixel Envy" in the marketplace.

You just won't get a camera this good for this price for very long.

Anyway...my 2 cents. And BTW, I absolutely love this camera...and I haven't even begun to reach it's potential.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

Ernie

First off Congrats on your graduating!!

As a newbie owner of the KM 5D, i have to say that i Love it! ( i also have a Pana FZ20 ) The 5D is a great buy right now, and with Tamron, Sigma and now Sony creating lenses with the KM mount i am sure that finding lenses will not be a problem. What's not to love?

Dale
Clazy Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5

Texas A&M Galveston I graduated with a structural engineering degree

I bought the 5D yesterday and don't have much in the way of compact flash cards. They are a lot cheaper online! I bought a small one just to take a few pictures on mothers day.

Thanks for all the sites advise.

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

Ernie,

I bought a Lexar 2GB 80X card and have been very happy with it. There are lots of deals on 1GB and 2 GB cards right now.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote