Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 18, 2006, 1:24 AM   #11

I have had very good experiences with Cameta's customer service. They replaced and then refunded me on the Sigma flash that I bought and could not get to work with my KM5D. I didn't have to use Cord's customer service. I ordered the lens. They sent it, fast, and I was happy.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 1:28 AM   #12

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
@ Rduve, I didn't mean any offense- you got a great deal on a lens you really seem to enjoy. I now have that very lens on my short list and I wouldn't have even considered it without your input and sample shots. It isn't perfect optically, but when I consider the range and cost it's shortcomings are pretty easy to ignore. It would be a great walkaround lens, I hope I get that far down my list before Cord sells out. Anyhow, brag away- You've got a nice lens there.

I am considering this 18-200 range in similar lenses only because I really love the 15mm on the short end.Tough choice for me and buying 2 kinda defeats the purpose of having an all in one solution.

I just kept the Minolta 18-70 kit lens for wide angle purposes. If you don't have that one, then it's certainly a tough choice between the two. Maybe add a 2x teleconverter to the 18-200 lens. Or get a good deal on a longer fixed or zoom lens. I got the Vivitar Series 1 100-400 4.5-6.7 lens for $65 on ebay. It's quite good, but I rarely use it. But if ever go on a safari, it'll come in handy.
Old May 18, 2006, 7:13 AM   #13

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
It would be a great walkaround lens, I hope I get that far down my list before Cord sells out. Anyhow, brag away- You've got a nice lens there.
If Cord is out, Cameta has it $5 cheaper. Their s&h is a couple of $$ more, but they still beat Cord out the door.
I went with Cord because Cametta I would have had to add tax being from New Yawk. Either dealer is a good deal..... Cord shippped it unbelieveably fast as I'm sure Cametta will. The other reason I went with Cord is that they answer email questions about product offerings. On the other hand,I asked a emailed a few questions toCametta and theydon't respond or email silly responses like " We don't don't have staff to answer those type of questions." Maybe it's me, but I would rather not do business with someone who takes that type of approach.

I forgot about the sales tax. Wolf doesn't charge sales tax to anyone, but I understand they pay it to each state in which they have stores. I guess it's figured in to the selling price.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:51 AM   #14

rduve wrote

"... Or get a good deal on a longer fixed or zoom lens. I got the Vivitar Series 1 100-400 4.5-6.7 lens for $65 on ebay. It's quite good, but I rarely use it. But if ever go on a safari, it'll come in handy."

That's some deal you got on that Vivatar. There is a used one on EBay now, for about 140. There's also better deal on brand new Tokina 100-400 bundled with a 28-80mm for 129. They look like the same lens. Not a bad deal for both lenses, but I really don't need a 28-80 since I already have something that handles that range quite well.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:27 PM   #15

Yeah, I wondered about those Tokina lenses and if the 100-400 zoom is the same as my Vivitar. If these are good lenses, $129 for both is sure a good deal. I wonder if there are any reviews on it.