Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 15, 2006, 2:58 PM   #1

I need a lens for a Euro trip this summer-Seems to me 18-200 would be perfect-any suggestions/experience?Am using KM 5d.

Marty
marty l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

I like the range of this lens, however for the price I am really considering the 28-300 Tamron XR that Rduve is bragging up a few threads down. You only lose 15mmon the short end and gain 150mm (35mm equivalent) on the long end, for half the price. I do love the 18mm end of my Sigma 18-50 but if you're taking mostly outdoor shots, you may be able to get away with starting at 28mm. It's a tough call for me, which is why I haven't made it yet, but I am really leaning towards the Tamron over the Minolta at this point.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 9:13 PM   #3

Who makes 18-200?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4

marty l wrote:
Quote:
Who makes 18-200?
KM, Tamron and Sigma make 18-200 lenses. I have the KM version, and it's really a great walk-about lens. I find I prefer the extra wide angle the 18mm gives you, over the extra 100mm zoom but YMMV...

Here's a gallery of images I shot with the KM 18-200:
http://www.pbase.com/rambler358/2006...v&page=all

A lot ofabove shots made good use of the extra wide angle.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:58 AM   #5

Rambler,

Great shots.Think I'll seewhats on ebay.

Marty
Old May 16, 2006, 7:09 PM   #6

I bought the Sigma 18-200mm recently and am enjoying using it so far.

I did a
mini review on DPReview forums.

If you just want to see the set of test photos, they are
here.

I don't really think that you will go wrong
whichever one that you choose.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:10 PM   #7

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I like the range of this lens, however for the price I am really considering the 28-300 Tamron XR that Rduve is bragging up a few threads down. You only lose 15mmon the short end and gain 150mm (35mm equivalent) on the long end, for half the price. I do love the 18mm end of my Sigma 18-50 but if you're taking mostly outdoor shots, you may be able to get away with starting at 28mm. It's a tough call for me, which is why I haven't made it yet, but I am really leaning towards the Tamron over the Minolta at this point.

I am "bragging" about the Tamron 28-300 XR? Maybe I am justexcited to have a high quality all-in-one lens. However, it is soft in the f3.5-4.5 rangeI have found. Otherwise great. The 18-200 is probably comparable, just a diiferent range. It depends on what one needs more: A wider angle or a greater zoom.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:02 PM   #8

@ Rduve, I didn't mean any offense- you got a great deal on a lens you really seem to enjoy. I now have that very lens on my short list and I wouldn't have even considered it without your input and sample shots. It isn't perfect optically, but when I consider the range and cost it's shortcomings are pretty easy to ignore. It would be a great walkaround lens, I hope I get that far down my list before Cord sells out. Anyhow, brag away- You've got a nice lens there.

I am considering this 18-200 range in similar lenses only because I really love the 15mm on the short end.Tough choice for me and buying 2 kinda defeats the purpose of having an all in one solution.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
It would be a great walkaround lens, I hope I get that far down my list before Cord sells out. Anyhow, brag away- You've got a nice lens there.
If Cord is out, Cameta has it $5 cheaper. Their s&h is a couple of $$ more, but they still beat Cord out the door.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10

cope wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
It would be a great walkaround lens, I hope I get that far down my list before Cord sells out. Anyhow, brag away- You've got a nice lens there.
If Cord is out, Cameta has it $5 cheaper. Their s&h is a couple of $$ more, but they still beat Cord out the door.
I went with Cord because Cametta I would have had to add tax being from New Yawk. Either dealer is a good deal..... Cord shippped it unbelieveably fast as I'm sure Cametta will. The other reason I went with Cord is that they answer email questions about product offerings. On the other hand,I asked a emailed a few questions toCametta and theydon't respond or email silly responses like " We don't don't have staff to answer those type of questions." Maybe it's me, but I would rather not do business with someone who takes that type of approach.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote