Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 17, 2006, 9:49 PM   #1

I can get the 18-70mm F/3.5-5.6 for about 97.00 shipped brand new, maybe even a little less. I realize it is the basic kit lens and I already own the KM 28-70MM 2.8 D and the Tamron 28-300, but I would like something to cover the low end without spending a lot. I know I could also by a cheap Vivitar 19-35mm but that doesn't have much range.I realize the KM18-70mm isnot the best, but I think forunder a 100 bucks brand new it's not so bad as far the money, but am I wasting my money? I mean if it takes spending twice as much I don't have a problem as long as the results are noticable. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 6:06 AM   #2

I think the 18-70 is highly under rated. It is a bargain IMO. I think some people slam it because they read something negative on a forum, or that it must be bad because it is cheap. You will enjoy it.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

I have to agree. I got it with the kit, but only because the price was right. I wasn't really expecting anything fantastic....probably because it's "just a kit lens". But, I have to say it has become my favorite lens. The range is great for everyday stuff. And, compared to my 50mm 1.7,(set at 50mm also) the kit lens is actually sharper. Of course I'm just a newbie amateur, but definitely like it. And I'm having a blast with this camera!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

Definitely underrated! This lens performs exellent in the outside daylight, and with aquality flash just as good at night or indoors. It lacks the artistic abilities of other (faster lenses) but unless you have a specific need such a non-flash situation in low light or your shooting aportriat where you prefer a small DOF, this lens will cover just about everything else. The only thing I don't care for is the barrel distortion at the wide end.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:13 AM   #5

The 18-70mm kit lensis the only lens I have used with my 5D and I think it's a very good walk-around lens. Here are a couple random pics I took yesterday while experimenting with camera and flash settings. Both shots are handheld with Image Stabilization on and the flower pic was taken in less than ideal conditions while the wind was blowing the flower around and I was not very still whilekneeling.

The one thing that might be annoying is if you manually focus, the focus ring is thin and right on the edge of the lens so I end up having to grab the lens hood to focus. Keep the aperture around f8 and you will have very sharp pics. These pics below are not altered except for resizing.

Randy Wheeler

1/60 - F8 - 100 ISO - 22mm - Flash (Built In) fired

1/160 - F7.1 - 800 ISO - 70mm

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6

I have not been able to get impressive results with my kit lens, good but not impressive. Especially since using my Tamron 90mm macro and the minolta 100-200/4.5 I notice the softness of my kit lens, somewhat dissapointing. I have been using it from f8-f11 to try and get the best results and its not bad, but the camera is capable of better.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 3:32 PM   #7

It's not the best lens and you will notice a difference with better glass, but for under $100 it's hard to complain. Especially since the only other lens with that range cost 4 times that. For a walk-around lens in bright light it works fine. I got the lens as the kit with my 5D and don't use it thatmuch since I have more lenses now. But it is still the single most versatile lens I own.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 4:09 PM   #8

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
It's not the best lens and you will notice a difference with better glass, but for under $100 it's hard to complain. Especially since the only other lens with that range cost 4 times that. For a walk-around lens in bright light it works fine. I got the lens as the kit with my 5D and don't use it thatmuch since I have more lenses now. But it is still the single most versatile lens I own.
After getting my 28-300 Tamron, I took my Minolta 28-105 and 70-210 out of my DSLR bag and put them back with my 800Si. I think I can get by with the 18-300 range this offers, and I have a 50 1.4 and 50 2.8 macro if needed.
Old May 26, 2006, 7:03 PM   #9

I think you are set for now, Cope. Go take some pictures.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 8:35 PM   #10

Like this one?

Attached Images