Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 18, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

OK, when I bought my 7D less than a month ago at Adorama, I turned down the warranty from them since I can get the "Mack" warranty at discount. I don't know if that is the same one Adorama is selling and if I can still get one from them. I do know that I can get the Mack until about the end of the month. Has anybody bothered with these? I know the coverage has limitations and lenses are covered seperately. Just wondering if therest of my KM 5D/7D cohorts have purchased one. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 9:03 PM   #2
Administrator

As a general rule, I don't buy them. From my perspective, as fast as technlogy is changing, by the time I needed to use an extended warranty, I'd probably be buying another body anyway.

Now, I did have one extended warranty pay off. It was on a printer I bought a Best Buy a while back. I gave in to the sales pressure at the time (they probably make a lot of profit on these things as much assales people push them).

When the printer broke (outside of the manufacturers warranty), they told me it was listed as being unrepairable.

So, they gave me the full purchase price of the printer towards any model in the store.That one worked out for sure, since I was able to get a better printer for the same money thanks to advances in technology, after putting a lot of use on the one I purchased originally. Of course, YMMV on those kinds of things.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 9:11 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

In hindsight, I didn't buy an extended warrantywith my last printer purchase. Sure enough, it broke on me (my luck with cameras is much better than with my luck with printers). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 7:28 AM   #4

I have never bought an extended warranty for anything except a large appliance and auto. I have heard that the Mack warranty is good.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:16 AM   #5

I bought the Mack Warranty for my 7D after having to have it replaced in the first 30 days for an AS problem. It cost $60 for a 5 year on Ebay from frankiescorners. The warranty came in good time and was easy to register. I am glad to report that I cannot tell you how easy to use the warranty is, I have not needed to use it.

I also do not generally buy warranties but I tend to hold onto cameras and I assume any problem with it will cost more than $60 to fix.

By the way, I also bought the 7D on Ebay, and the seller, Cybershops- was great when the camera failed. They went way beyond my expectations and even overnighted the replacement so I could have it in time for a shoot. (They sent the replacement before they had recieved the bad one back from me!)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:47 PM   #6

While cameras are not as expensive as cars, the labor to repair one could amount to a tidy sum, so I purchased a $60, 5 year Mack warranty on my Pentax istDS (yes, I know this is a KM site)...I have yet to require the warranty, as my camera is only 2 months old, but I thought $12 yearly was quite cheap...and, if I never need it, it just goes to show how good Pentax really is...:-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:10 PM   #7

I normally don't bother with extended warranties either since I have been replacing my cameras at least every two years and never had one break on me, except for a Canon Powershot G5, which just died one day and would not come on, despite having a fresh new battery. I happen to have the Mack warranty and they took care of it. So I lucked out in that case.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
While cameras are not as expensive as cars, the labor to repair one could amount to a tidy sum, so I purchased a $60, 5 year Mack warranty on my Pentax istDS (yes, I know this is a KM site)...I have yet to require the warranty, as my camera is only 2 months old, but I thought $12 yearly was quite cheap...and, if I never need it, it just goes to show how good Pentax really is...:-):-)
Hey Marsha!! Do you know this is a KM site?????:|LOL

Hope you never have to use that warranty.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote