Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2006, 7:58 AM   #1
SKP

I've been travelling with my Maxxum 7D and recently I've noticed that 2 drive modes do not work. The continuous frames and 10 second timer modes do not work. The image in the LCD also does not show the right images either (multiple boxes and timer with 10). Earlier on my trip both these modes were working fine, I'm not sure if I've changed a setting to cause this or if my camera needs service. Can anyone advise?

SKP
SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 7:09 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you saying the menu choices don't look correct for drive mode, and they also don't work?

I'd try resetting your camera to factory defaults as a first step, in case a setting is causing a conflict. Go to the Wrench Icon (setup menu), and you'll see a RESET DEFAULT menu choice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3

On the 7D, the continuous and bracket are on the dial on the right side, not in the menu. It may still be related to software, resetting the camera to default may help. Also, it does not remember these settings in Auto Program mode, so if you turn it off before shooting, it will go to "auto" (hence the setting). I would expect the timer to work fine in auto mode, but have never used it.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Yep.. I forgot about that. I'm used to toggling between drive modes using the drive mode button on a 5D.

SKP

I'm confused by your description of the problems.

What do you mean by "the image in the LCD also does not show the right images either (multiple boxes and timer with 10)"?

Are you referring to seeing more than one image when you say multiple boxes (as in an index of thumbnails) during playback? You can toggle between single and multiple images using the play button (and you can even change how many images are displayed at one time on an index during playback).

It's more likely you're doing something wrong, versus the camera having a fault.

But, if you reset it back to factory defaults, that should get you back to what you're used to with it (at least until you press a button or change something again).

Old May 20, 2006, 12:45 AM   #5
SKP

Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I meant by the image on the LCD is the icon that indicates what drive mode you're in. For continuous advance it should be multiple boxes(frames), for the 10second timer its the circular arrow with the number 10. Just like the 2 second timer with the number 2.

The icon that is displayed is either nothing, or is the wrong icon. Not only is the icon wrong on the LCD the function does not work either. I'm not referring to the image of pictures taken, the 2 drive modes are not working and the icon that would represent those drive modes do not appear on the LCD.

I've tried reseting to the default (from the 3rd wrench menu) and it hasn't helped. I hope this is clearer.

SKP
SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Administrator

My best guess is that it's probably the contacts in the drive mode dial itself.

I'd try working the dial back and forth (turn it back and forth between drive modes) a bit to see if oxidation on the contacts is causing it. I've seen reports of this kind of thing before where just using a dial or switch more got rid of a problem.

If that didn't work, I'd probably do the same thing with other buttons, switches and dials, too (in case a bit of oxidation on another contact, or a switch that's not making a good connection is causing the symptoms).