Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1

I put the CF in, turn on...get message: Unable to use card, format?.....hit yes....then says: Unable to use card.

I have tried three different "brand new" cards (all are comp. with the 7d)

The firmware is updated 1.10u

I tried to format on card read..tried both fat32 and fat....same message

Just bought the camera Brand New...NIB...Help

spirit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Administrator

What brand of cards are they? It's possible that they have some type of compatiblity issue.

Most cards should work. Some may be slower than others and may have more reported problems (for example, some Kingston cards are relatively slow in KM models).

I'd also check your card slot and make sure you don't have any bent pins in it.

I've seen problems reported with cameras before where a defective card was not going into the card slot correctly and caused bent pins.

If it's a brand new camera, it's possible it's defective. But, I'd rule out your cards first (especially if all 3 are the same brand/batch of cards, and if they are not a well known brand of CompactFlash media like Lexar or Sandisk).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Here is KM's official compatibility list (cards they tested that work):

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/...ty/detail.html

But, many cards should work OK. Users have speed tests on many cards here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=7D

I'd check for bent pins first. Then, try a card that's known to work in this model before assuming the camera is bad.

Old May 19, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4

the cards are all scandisk and lexar(from walmart)..different sizes as well
Old May 19, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Administrator

Did you check the card slot for bent pins? That would be the first thing I'd check. I've seen cases of a defective card (not going in the slot correctly) cause this problem in other cameras before.

Were the cards used in any other device? If so, it could have modified them in such a way as to cause a problem.

Are you sure they're in the card slot all the way and correctly inserted?

Old May 19, 2006, 11:18 PM   #6

O.k. there seems to be a bent pint...is this something fixable or sould I contact Sony on Monday and get replacement....do you knowhow this works...time wise?..thanks
Old May 19, 2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Administrator

Your best bet is probably to see if the vendor you bought it from will swap it out for you.

I'd check the cards very carefully, too. This is a rare problem, and it's usually caused by a defective card (the grooves in the side of the card not made correctly, allowing too much play during card insertion, or a flaw in the card where the pins insert).

I remember one thread where someone ended up with bent pins in a camera and two different card readers before figuring out that a defective card was causing it.

So, they may say that you caused the problem (and not want to cover it under warranty) if you send it in. I don't know how they'd handle it.

Here's a link to service information from Sony:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

If you send it to Precision (a third party provider Sony has contracted for service), it's my understanding they're running a bit behind right now (it may take them a week just to log it in to get into the repair queue, and another week before they can get it fixed).

I've seen users report straightening a bent pin themselves before. But, try that at your own risk.

If it were mine, and it's a new camera, I'd probably try and get the vendor you bought it from to replace it (I'd just let them know it won't recognize any cards).