Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 21, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1

Is it better to edit an image in RAW then covert to JPG or can I convert it to JPG first then edit? The reson I ask is that I have better software for JPG editing. I use Paint Shop Pro. Funny thing is, Paint Shop Pro is supposed to be able to work with RAW, but it doesn't seem to recognize the KM files.

That crappy Dimage software won't even run in my XP Pro so I downloaded the free stuff....Rawshooter and FastStone but I'm not so proficient with it as Paint Shop Pro.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2

I havent used PSP since version 6, but make sure you have the latest patches and such. Photoshop elements 4 works well with raw files, when I open one with PSE I go through the conversion dialog and then right into the program without making an intermediate jpg. I think thats slightly better, but if you had to make a jpg I wouldnt worry about it so much. Just make sure your saving at the highest quality settings.

If you could save as TIF instead, you wouldnt lose anything.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:35 AM   #3

Conventional wisdom has it that you are better off doing as much editing before conversion since that is (should be?) done before changing from 12 to 8 bit color. Probably doesn't make much difference except in extreme situations.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 3:03 PM   #4

I have Paint Shop Pro X, and the last upgrde I downloaded had the conversion for Dynax 5 RAW files.
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 4:10 PM   #5

CrystinJoni wrote:
Quote:
I have Paint Shop Pro X, and the last upgrde I downloaded had the conversion for Dynax 5 RAW files.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:53 PM   #6

I highly recommend using Bibble to do the editing in RAW, then have it output to JPEG when you are done.
SPtheALIEN is offline   Reply With Quote