Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 24, 2006, 10:13 AM   #11

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all your input.

Biggs Camera here in Charlotte has the 7500DX for $149. Looks like a winner for the price...I'll be getting one today.

Thanks again everybody!
For that price it's a no-brainer; use it for now, and if Sony comes out with a 5600Clone, or you find a deal on a 5600, you can get it later for a 2 flash set up.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:01 PM   #12

Ooooooooooooooops! My bad.

I went to Biggs Camera at lunch and it turns out the $149 price online is for the "old" Canon version (whatever that is). In the store, the new version is $229 and they don't carry the Minolta version. In fairness to them, I called every store in town and maybe I mixed something up. Anyway...I thought that price sounded too good to be true.

Since I have a family function this weekend and really needed the flash I went ahead and got the Promaster 5750DX ($119.99). Of course I had to also get the Minolta module. From what I could tell the main difference between the 7500DX and 5750DX is the power zoom. The 5750DX only has a 3 position manual zoom.

Sorry about the confusion and I really appreciate all the input. I don't know what I would do without this forum!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:44 PM   #13

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Ooooooooooooooops! My bad.

I went to Biggs Camera at lunch and it turns out the $149 price online is for the "old" Canon version (whatever that is). In the store, the new version is $229 and they don't carry the Minolta version. In fairness to them, I called every store in town and maybe I mixed something up. Anyway...I thought that price sounded too good to be true.

Since I have a family function this weekend and really needed the flash I went ahead and got the Promaster 5750DX ($119.99). Of course I had to also get the Minolta module. From what I could tell the main difference between the 7500DX and 5750DX is the power zoom. The 5750DX only has a 3 position manual zoom.

Sorry about the confusion and I really appreciate all the input. I don't know what I would do without this forum!

Does the 5750DX have Minolta dedicated TTL metering?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 3:04 PM   #14

cope wrote:

Quote:
I got an email from a guy who saw that I had bought the Sigma from Cameta. We both had issues with the Sigma; I got a refund, he tried Sigma's remodeling service and then got a refund as well. He went with the Promaster just after I got the 5600HS. he sent me a picture of his results, and the last I heard from him he was still happy with it, and that's been a month or so. The kicker is that it runs around $229.95, but if it works for you. the longer zoom power and fill=flash make it pretty nice.

Cope,

Are you happy with the 5600? I haven't really gotten to use mine except to test it I am concerned that it may need calibration to work properly with the 7D. I forget whether it tends to underexpose or overexpose. A part of me wants to sell it because I know they are going for big bucks on EBay, but I think I should consider keeping it since there are none around and who knows what Sony will offer. I imagine at first they will just offer a rebadged 5600. It is possible they will want more than 299.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 3:07 PM   #15

Yes, it does. I believe it is done thru the manufacturer-specific module. Which, by the way was another $69.99, for auto focus cameras.

Promaster.com has the specs.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 4:36 PM   #16

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Cope,

Are you happy with the 5600? I haven't really gotten to use mine except to test it I am concerned that it may need calibration to work properly with the 7D. I forget whether it tends to underexpose or overexpose. A part of me wants to sell it because I know they are going for big bucks on EBay, but I think I should consider keeping it since there are none around and who knows what Sony will offer. I imagine at first they will just offer a rebadged 5600. It is possible they will want more than 299.

Yes, I am satisfied so far. I have only used it for a few test shots, but it does a good job on my 5D. I used the Sigma to bounce the flash off a white ceiling while shooting my daughter at ± 6', and it way under-exposed-too dark to tell who she was. The same shot a week later with the 5600 was great.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:15 PM   #17

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Cope,

Yes, I am satisfied so far. I have only used it for a few test shots, but it does a good job on my 5D. I used the Sigma to bounce the flash off a white ceiling while shooting my daughter at ± 6', and it way under-exposed-too dark to tell who she was. The same shot a week later with the 5600 was great.
Here's a shot with the 5600 HS and the Tamron 28-300 lens. It was at night and the room was in total darkness except for maybe some ambient light from a 35 inch TV. I could barely see through the viewfinder, but I think it came out pretty good in full auto.

Old May 24, 2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Here another.... Same conditions except for zoom

Old May 24, 2006, 10:26 PM   #19

... and yet another

Old May 24, 2006, 10:27 PM   #20

Last one.... I swear!

Overall, not too shabby for a quick test.