Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 22, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Given the prices and rarity of the 5600hs, I came across a local camera store that carries a Promaster 7500 DX, made for Minolta. Does anyone know anything about this flash?

Comments please...
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 5:32 PM   #2

Chris, I know one guy who has it and loves it, but it does not support HSS. It does cover out to 105mm while the 5600HS only goes to 85, and it has a front fill flash that can be used by itself or with the regular flash. Metz seems to be the ticket if you don't want to pay the going rate on KM units.

Here is a link to the latest discussion on Metz.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 7:49 AM   #3

Even if it does not support HSS, does the TTL metering work? I had terrible experiences with the Sigma EF-500 Super as far as flash exposure was concerned. Are you saying the Pro Master would do better?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Even if it does not support HSS, does the TTL metering work? I had terrible experiences with the Sigma EF-500 Super as far as flash exposure was concerned. Are you saying the Pro Master would do better?
I got an email from a guy who saw that I had bought the Sigma from Cameta. We both had issues with the Sigma; I got a refund, he tried Sigma's remodeling service and then got a refund as well. He went with the Promaster just after I got the 5600HS. he sent me a picture of his results, and the last I heard from him he was still happy with it, and that's been a month or so. The kicker is that it runs around $229.95, but if it works for you. the longer zoom power and fill=flash make it pretty nice.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:25 PM   #5

Interesting, I might try that. I also returned the Sigma fora refund to Cameta, after exchanging it once and then having it "calibrated" by Sigma. See my chronicles on this here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Given the prices and rarity of the 5600hs, I came across a local camera store that carries a Promaster 7500 DX, made for Minolta. Does anyone know anything about this flash?

Comments please...
Chris,

A thought, will they let you demo the flsah? This might give you a better idea how it will work out for you. I emailed the guy who has one and asked for a follow-up on his results. he has been out of the country for a funeral, and I haven't heard from him since his return.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7

DrChris wrote:
Quote:

Comments please...
Given the prices they are getting on Ebay... around 500 dollars, I'm sorry I didn't buy the eight they had in stock at B&H last week. I'm thinking of selling mine since I only paid 299.00. There is no way I would pay the money they are getting on Ebay when you can get other units like the Metz for less. I'll bet if people wait a couple of months, they can buy the Sony version for less, although with Sony, who knows.... it may go for more.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:22 PM   #8

Chris,

I have had the Promaster 7500DX for about 5 months now and it has worked fine for me. I do some weddings and some magazine work. I also own the Minolta 3600HSD and I use the Promaster more. It is more consistant and I don't get the over-exposure I have somtime with the 3600.

Tommy
tmorris51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks for all your input.

Biggs Camera here in Charlotte has the 7500DX for $149. Looks like a winner for the price...I'll be getting one today.

Thanks again everybody!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:09 AM   #10

Do they ship orders? Or can you pick one up for me if I paypal you the money?