Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 24, 2006, 3:14 AM   #1

Hi,
Has anyone used the 1200 macro flash with the old controller on the 7D?
I've just done a quick read about it and it appears theres no TTL, and it fires at full power.
The question I have is about it firing full power. Can this be compensated for just by metering off camera via a light meter with the macro attachment?
Sorry if this is stupid question, I've been out of photography for a while, and am just about to upgrade to digital. Maybe I missed something fundamental.
Many thanks for any info you can pass my way.

Peter
macejka76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 7:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Peter:

I've seen posts about this flash before, and it appears that there are two different versions of the MFC-1000 flash controller.

The old controller only has one socket on it, and it will only work in Manual. IOW, it's not really compatible with the 7D.

The new version of the MFC-1000 flash contoller has 3 sockets on it for plugging in strobes (two are the same and one looks different) and it should work either way (it is compatible with the 7D).

With the old controller, I'd try setting flash power manually (for example 1/16 power) in the camera menus and see if that helps. If it stills fires at full power, you'll probably need to shoot in manual exposure mode and stop down your aperture (higher f/stop values) to try and get anything exposed properly.

Here is an article reviewing the Macro Twin Flash 2400. The controller shown is the new version that is compatible with the 7D (this same controller will also work with the 1200 flash). The new MFC-1000 controller was also sold separately. But, I don't know anyone that has them in stock.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/twinflash.php

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

Jim's right (as usual), there's an older version, which I think was simply the '1200', and a newer 1200N. I've tested the older one on a 5D, without success. The advice I had was that an adaptor for the older 1200 wasn't an option, though that may have been a timing issue with KM shutdown.

I've heard good things about the 2400 twin flash, but it didn't appeal to me - I wanted a full ring version, so I went with a sunpak equivalent instead and hotshoe adaptor. The model number escapes me for the moment, but I can dig it out tonight if you wish.

fother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 6:29 PM   #4

Thanks Jim,
I'll give your suggestion a try when I get my own 7D. (soon I hope)

Meanwhile is there anybody out there that owns a 7D/5D that could try Jim's suggestion?
If you could also let me know what aperture range was used with different flash tube combinations on the 1200 macro ring light?
Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Peter

Old May 24, 2006, 6:34 PM   #5

Sorry, yeah I should have said, when I tested it (in store) it was firing full power regardless of settings.

For me, it wasn't worth the trouble buying one under those conditions.

If you already have the flash, stopping down may well be a good workaround.
Good luck
Old May 24, 2006, 6:42 PM   #6

Hi fother,
Thanks for your post.
When you say without success on your 5D, did you try manually?
The Sunpack model sounds great. Can you set the power level, or does it also fire at full power? Do you have TTL with the 5D. And finally, if you could let me know what model it is, that would be great.

Many Thanks

Peter
Old May 24, 2006, 6:43 PM   #7
Administrator

Only the 7D has the ability to set a manual power level for flash in the camera menus. But, I don't even know if the old controller is capable of "talking" to the camera.

Either camera model will work in manual exposure mode. The question is then how much you'd need to stop down the aperture to prevent overexposure (or if you'd also need to try and diffuse the light from the flash). You may end up needing to go f/32 with ISO 100 to have a chance at it. lol

I'm not aware of anyone here in the forums using this strobe with a KM DSLR. But, perhaps I'll be surprised.

If memory serves, the new controller was a bit "pricey" (when some dealers actually had it in stock) So, a third party solution may be your best bet in a macro flash. You may also want to wait a few weeks to see what Sony plans to release. I suspect that we'll see some of the KM accessories rebranded as Sony.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 6:44 PM   #8

Thanks fother,
You got in and gave the info while I was writing my questions.
Sorry I just read your other post.

Peter
Old May 24, 2006, 6:55 PM   #9

Thanks Jim,
I guess its not looking good for my old controller. I'll give it a try when I can anyway.
I also better do some third party research, and wait for sony (who knows how long it will take for them to release accessories), or try to find a new controller. Wish me luck.
I'll let others in my situation know if I come up with anything.

Many thanks.

Peter
Old May 24, 2006, 7:00 PM   #10

No worries, happy to help.
I'll check the model number tonight, and get back to you.

I guess the other point is, it depends what you wanted a ring flash for. I use it for macro, so the full power burst renders it all but useless to me. Others use ring flashes for fashion (glamour) photography, in which case a full bore flash might be more manageable(? dunno, not my thing).

As I recall, the Sunpak bundle of ring flash, controller and hotshoe adaptor was around the same price (purchased new) as the second hand 1200 I had considered. Anyway, I'll get the model numbers of the sunpak ring flash and adaptor for you.