Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 30, 2006, 8:39 AM   #1

I have been researching a zoom telephoto lens and have a difficult time locating the lens I want.* Is there a decent lens or alternatives to a Minolta AF 100-300 f4.0?* I know that the 70-210 f4.0 is a favorite, but was looking for a little more distance in the 300mm range.* Is the 100-300 f4.5-5.6 decent, or after using my Minolta 35-70 f4.0, I would be disappointed?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
I have been researching a zoom telephoto lens and have a difficult time locating the lens I want.� Is there a decent lens or alternatives to a Minolta AF 100-300 f4.0?� I know that the 70-210 f4.0 is a favorite, but was looking for a little more distance in the 300mm range.� Is the 100-300 f4.5-5.6 decent, or after using my Minolta 35-70 f4.0, I would be disappointed?

Many of us have been happy with the results of the Tamron 28-300mm lens on EBay for about 150 bucks. It has been replaced by a newer model so it is going for half or less than half the price and from what I understand the new model doesn't have any real improvements. Look through some of the threads here in the KM section and you find posts of pictures and comments by people who have it. It is not the best lens out there, but I think it does the trick and it does so at a reasonable price.

It is available from Cameta Auctions or Cord Camera on EBay for about the same price. Cametta charges tax to NY residents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-28-300mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamron-AF-28...QQcmdZViewItem
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:01 PM   #3

Meanstreak, I just read through the entire thread about the Tamron.* Has me thinking this may be a good choice.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak, I just read through the entire thread about the Tamron.? Has me thinking this may be a good choice.
The 28-300 is now my go to lens. I even took my Minolta 28-105 & 70-210 out of my bag and put them back with my 800Si.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:27 PM   #5

[align=left]Hi,[/align]
[align=left]Wanted to get more info on how much you like using the Tamron 28-300 w/ your 5D DSLR? I've seen things all over the board from Terrible (usually people wha are more experienced) and very good (wanting a good overall walk around lens). But what compromises do you make when you get one?[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Irvin[/align]
iyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:19 PM   #6

iyee wrote:
Quote:

[align=left]Hi,[/align]

[align=left]Wanted to get more info on how much you like using the Tamron 28-300 w/ your 5D DSLR? I've seen things all over the board from Terrible (usually people wha are more experienced) and very good (wanting a good overall walk around lens). But what compromises do you make when you get one?[/align]

[align=left][/align]

Irvin, I don't find that people who are more experienced (with the lens)are calling the 28-300 terrible. Most people I see using the lens are extremely happy with it. Look at dpreview's KM forum. There are several of what I consider *experienced* photographers there who use this lens almost exclusively.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18679388

You have to take naysayers with a grain of salt; often they are simply repeating something negative they read which was posted by someone else who has no real experience with the lens.

Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:43 AM   #7

iyee wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]Hi,[/align]

[align=left][/align]

All I can tell you is that for apx. 150 bucks you can buy a brand new 28-300mm lens that will give you decent results. BTW, that price only appliesto the olderversion of the lens. The new model is about double and asfar as I know, minor insignificant changes that have no "real" noticable effect onperformance. A couple of us have noticed that it is sharpest when photos are taken using an F-stop of 4.5 or smaller. If I had to buy it all over again I would. Worst case scenario, if you are not happy with it, you can probably sell iton EBay for whatyou paid or higher.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:51 AM   #8

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
iyee wrote:
Quote:

[align=left]Hi,[/align]

[align=left][/align]

All I can tell you is that for apx. 150 bucks you can buy a brand new 28-300mm lens that will give you decent results. BTW, that price only appliesto the olderversion of the lens. The new model is about double and asfar as I know, minor insignificant changes that have no "real" noticable effect onperformance. A couple of us have noticed that it is sharpest when photos are taken using an F-stop of 4.5 or smaller. If I had to buy it all over again I would. Worst case scenario, if you are not happy with it, you can probably sell iton EBay for whatyou paid or higher.

And I forgot to add that this was a $3-400 lens that Tamron is closing out to make way for the new model. It is not a cheap lens, and has a nice feel and great build quality.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:20 PM   #9

iyee wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]Hi,[/align]

[align=left][/align]

Irvin, more nice 28-300 shots.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18849243
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:35 PM   #10

Great shots. I should be receiving mine tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend. Got it from Cord Camera for $139.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote