Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:29 PM   #141

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Yes I'll try this with a different lens too (BTW I bought the last 75-300 lens at circuit city for 60 bucks!) and let you know. If I move my camera around suddenly, for example to take a shot of the streets looking down from a building, i need to hold the lens so it doesn't start creeping. And if I do it very suddenly, sometimes the lens resets itself. The 75-300 lens, when I first held it seemed very stable compared to the 28-75mm. I tried pulling it and it won't slide like the 28-75mm does.
I don't think mine does that but will let you know. The circuit city buy me gave me a price of 49 on their lens which has no caps or hood and it wasn't in the best of condition. Nothing major, may some minor markss that might or might not come off the body and some marks on the glass that looked like they could be rubbed off. The price isn't bad, but I felt it wasn't enough off compared to a shiny new one at their closeout price. I felt they were only taking 10 bucks off. For 39, I might have snatched it up. I realize it isprobably worth every bit of 49 dollars. I probably should have bought it and could have always returned it, but I don't need it bad enough since I have lensesto cover that range. Just thought for the price I might check one out.I still may go back and get it on Monday, but I figure I might try some other stores where I live.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:48 PM   #142

Oh and BTW, in the 86th street store they have a maxxum 5d selling for 497 dollars, if anyone from NYC is interested. Thats where I bought my 75-300mm lens.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Yes I'll try this with a different lens too (BTW I bought the last 75-300 lens at circuit city for 60 bucks!) and let you know. If I move my camera around suddenly, for example to take a shot of the streets looking down from a building, i need to hold the lens so it doesn't start creeping. And if I do it very suddenly, sometimes the lens resets itself. The 75-300 lens, when I first held it seemed very stable compared to the 28-75mm. I tried pulling it and it won't slide like the 28-75mm does.
I don't think mine does that but will let you know. The circuit city buy me gave me a price of 49 on their lens which has no caps or hood and it wasn't in the best of condition. Nothing major, may some minor markss that might or might not come off the body and some marks on the glass that looked like they could be rubbed off. The price isn't bad, but I felt it wasn't enough off compared to a shiny new one at their closeout price. I felt they were only taking 10 bucks off. For 39, I might have snatched it up. I realize it isprobably worth every bit of 49 dollars. I probably should have bought it and could have always returned it, but I don't need it bad enough since I have lensesto cover that range. Just thought for the price I might check one out.I still may go back and get it on Monday, but I figure I might try some other stores where I live.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:47 PM   #143

I tried on my new 59.99 dollar 75-300mm lens (which is an excellent buy, wait till I post my samples from today!!!!), and it doesn't do the little hide and seek effect that the 28-75mm does. Could this be a lens problem?
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:29 AM   #144

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I tried on my new 59.99 dollar 75-300mm lens (which is an excellent buy, wait till I post my samples from today!!!!), and it doesn't do the little hide and seek effect that the 28-75mm does. Could this be a lens problem?
I can't get my 7D to get the no lens error as you described. If it is happening only withone lens, then thelens is more than likey the issue.My guess is that it might haveto do with thecontacts or lenscircuitry that tells the camera there is a lens attached. Iam onlyassuming the contacts are what tell the camera there is a lens attached and a potential source of the problem. It might be hard to tell by looking at thecontacts unless you notice something obvious like oxidation, corrosion or a worncontact. On the body side there are pin contacts that are spring loaded, but those are probaly OK if it is just the one lens causing the problem. Someone who knows more about how the lens attachment circuit might know for sure, since I am only guessing based on what makes sense to me.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:53 AM   #145

I'd be concerned about that 28-75. I think i'd see if it can be replaced with a new lens before there aren't any more. (provided you've cleaned the contacts on the camera and no other lenses are effected) What if it gets worse in a year or two (or 10) ?

The lens attachment is verified with those contacts, but it could also be internal circuitry issues if lens is not recognized.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote