Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:06 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Get one rduve

That's is one cool perspective of a paddlewheel.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:32 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

You know, guys, I might just end up being the proud owner of a 7D with the 28-75 2.8 lens soon. Will keep you posted....


rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:44 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
BTW.... I don't miss my FZ30 either. It is good for what it is, but it is what it is.... not a DSLR. Like most FZ30 owners I had myself convinced noise was not an issue. It did have a nice lens but anything over 200 ISO was a waste of time... some insist that 200 ISO was not tolerable, but I didn't feel that way at all. The other disappointed thing about any of those Ultrazooms is the electronic viewfinder. God those things are awful. Probably not an issue if you've never owned an SLR, but the lag on the viewfinder and then losing the subject while the camera sores the image, just wasn't cup of tea. My apologies to all users of EVFs, but they have to go. I do miss the abilityto take shots below the waist or over a crowd by using an LCD. Wish they could have had made the LCDon the KM also serve as a viewfinder when needed, but hey... you can't have it all.

OK.... I'll shut up now. Dammit, I just missed a deal on EBay!



Nice write-up, meanstreak. I feel you. If I go through with getting the 7d, I am not sure which one I am going to keep. I might very well stick with the 5D due to its lighter weight.

As far as the FZ30 is concerned, it is a great group of folks over there at the forum, but sometimes they remind me of a 12-step program trying to convince themselves that noise "really isn't an issue" when clearly it is. And the EVF really is quite annoying compared to a DSLR. Manual focus is a real pain with those things, regardless of the "SLR like" focus ring. No, I am definitely all sold backon SLR, just as I was a kid shooting with my East German Praktica, with manual focus, fixed lenses, and separate light meter.

I am still trying to discover the mean streak in you, meanstreak. You seem like an all around nice guy to me.

:-)
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:26 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Nice write-up, meanstreak. I feel you. If I go through with getting the 7d, I am not sure which one I am going to keep. I might very well stick with the 5D due to its lighter weight.

As far as the FZ30 is concerned, it is a great group of folks over there at the forum, but sometimes they remind me of a 12-step program trying to convince themselves that noise "really isn't an issue" when clearly it is. And the EVF really is quite annoying compared to a DSLR. Manual focus is a real pain with those things, regardless of the "SLR like" focus ring. No, I am definitely all sold backon SLR, just as I was a kid shooting with my East German Praktica, with manual focus, fixed lenses, and separate light meter.

I am still trying to discover the mean streak in you, meanstreak. You seem like an all around nice guy to me.

:-)
Meanstreak was the name of my Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle until last November when a deer ran out in front of me while I was going 40 to 50 miles per hour. It's a real strange experience rollingon the ground at that speed and not being able to stop yourself no matter how hard you try. I am lucky to be alive and I have all my limbs, although I am still going for therapy for damage to my knee. They had to reattach the patella tendon to my kneecap and I have very little left of the two ligments behind the kneecap and some cartiledge damage as well. They opted not to try to reconstruct my ligaments because I have enough scar tissue holding the knee in place. The reason I am still in therapy is that after my surgery they immobilized my knee with rods for 8 weeks and that weakened my quadricepand inhibited my range of motion. As I get older possibly 10 years from now, I may need a knee replacement This accident happened 3 months after a prior accident in which I developed a slight tear in rotator cuff after hitting a bump in the road. Needless to say, I am no longer riding. My wife won't let, and my 7 year old daughter doesn't want me. I do get the urge, but if I did ride, I would be paranoid that a deer might look for me again. I wouldn't want to go through what I have the last 6 or 7 month. I don't plan on getting back on anytime soon, but maybe someday. Thank god I've rediscovered photography as a diversion. I think it is much safer than motorcycling unless you're trying to take pictures of ferocious wildlife with a wide angle lens.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:50 AM   #45
Member
 
Cavemandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
Default

rduve,

Remember that the 7D doesn't have the magenta white balance correction feature to usewith the Sunpak 433D flash that you have.

Randy Wheeler
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:22 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak was the name of my Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle until last November when a deer ran out in front of me while I was going 40 to 50 miles per hour. It's a real strange experience rollingon the ground at that speed and not being able to stop yourself no matter how hard you try. I am lucky to be alive and I have all my limbs, although I am still going for therapy for damage to my knee. They had to reattach the patella tendon to my kneecap and I have very little left of the two ligments behind the kneecap and some cartiledge damage as well. They opted not to try to reconstruct my ligaments because I have enough scar tissue holding the knee in place. The reason I am still in therapy is that after my surgery they immobilized my knee with rods for 8 weeks and that weakened my quadricepand inhibited my range of motion. As I get older possibly 10 years from now, I may need a knee replacement This accident happened 3 months after a prior accident in which I developed a slight tear in rotator cuff after hitting a bump in the road. Needless to say, I am no longer riding. My wife won't let, and my 7 year old daughter doesn't want me. I do get the urge, but if I did ride, I would be paranoid that a deer might look for me again. I wouldn't want to go through what I have the last 6 or 7 month. I don't plan on getting back on anytime soon, but maybe someday. Thank god I've rediscovered photography as a diversion. I think it is much safer than motorcycling unless you're trying to take pictures of ferocious wildlife with a wide angle lens.

I have been thinking about getting a bike again, especially given the current gas prices. I am driving a Chrysler 300 Touring to work every day (almost 30 miles each way) and it adds up. But given that I have 3 little boys and the dangers involved, I am definitely reconsidering. I used to ride through Europe on a motorcycle 20 years ago, and had a few close encounters with the grim reaper, but I was fearless then.

Photography is most definitely safer.

Hope you'll heal swiftly and permanently.

:-)

here I am with my boys, Myles, Tanner, and Tate. Sorry for all the off-topic...


Attached Images
 
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:45 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

rduve wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak was the name of my Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle until last November when a deer ran out in front of me while I was going 40 to 50 miles per hour. It's a real strange experience rollingon the ground at that speed and not being able to stop yourself no matter how hard you try. I am lucky to be alive and I have all my limbs, although I am still going for therapy for damage to my knee. They had to reattach the patella tendon to my kneecap and I have very little left of the two ligments behind the kneecap and some cartiledge damage as well. They opted not to try to reconstruct my ligaments because I have enough scar tissue holding the knee in place. The reason I am still in therapy is that after my surgery they immobilized my knee with rods for 8 weeks and that weakened my quadricepand inhibited my range of motion. As I get older possibly 10 years from now, I may need a knee replacement This accident happened 3 months after a prior accident in which I developed a slight tear in rotator cuff after hitting a bump in the road. Needless to say, I am no longer riding. My wife won't let, and my 7 year old daughter doesn't want me. I do get the urge, but if I did ride, I would be paranoid that a deer might look for me again. I wouldn't want to go through what I have the last 6 or 7 month. I don't plan on getting back on anytime soon, but maybe someday. Thank god I've rediscovered photography as a diversion. I think it is much safer than motorcycling unless you're trying to take pictures of ferocious wildlife with a wide angle lens.

I have been thinking about getting a bike again, especially given the current gas prices. I am driving a Chrysler 300 Touring to work every day (almost 30 miles each way) and it adds up. But given that I have 3 little boys and the dangers involved, I am definitely reconsidering. I used to ride through Europe on a motorcycle 20 years ago, and had a few close encounters with the grim reaper, but I was fearless then.

Photography is most definitely safer.

Hope you'll heal swiftly and permanently.

:-)

here I am with my boys, Myles, Tanner, and Tate. Sorry for all the off-topic...

You have three very important reasons to stay in one piece. I miss riding but, here is my main reason to stay of off the bike and also a photo with the lens to put us back on topic.


[align=center]:|[/align]

[align=center][/align]


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:10 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
rduve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,504
Default

Yes, that's a good reason to get back fully on your feet again soon. Beautiful child.


rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:34 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,452
Default

How about one more for kicks w/28-75
Attached Images
 
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:04 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

nooner wrote:
Quote:
How about one more for kicks w/28-75
Nice shot..... there is just something about the way this lens captures color that is amazing.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:20 AM.