Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 31, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

My beloved 50mm F1.t doesn't seem to be working properly, but I'm no expert. If you put it in Aperture priority and take a pic in the daytime outdoors at F1.7, all is well, but if you stop down to F8, the pic is way over exposed.

I know that on the lens itself these is a little mechanical slider that moves in a semi circle to close and open the aperture. On all my other lenses, if you do this it springs back to its starting position, but on the 50mm it stays where you put it. this could be the problem but I don't have another 50mm to compare.

Help!! Can it be repaired and if so, anyone know where to send it in the UK. Alternatively do you think I'm better buying another used one??

Thanks guys.
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2

Adambrae wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys,

My beloved 50mm F1.t doesn't seem to be working properly, but I'm no expert. If you put it in Aperture priority and take a pic in the daytime outdoors at F1.7, all is well, but if you stop down to F8, the pic is way over exposed.

I know that on the lens itself these is a little mechanical slider that moves in a semi circle to close and open the aperture. On all my other lenses, if you do this it springs back to its starting position, but on the 50mm it stays where you put it. this could be the problem but I don't have another 50mm to compare.

Help!! Can it be repaired and if so, anyone know where to send it in the UK. Alternatively do you think I'm better buying another used one??

Thanks guys.

I believe it is supposed to spring back. If that is the problem, I imagine it would be cheaper to buy another.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 3:52 PM   #3
Administrator

Your aperture blades are probably sticking wide open (they probably have oil on them gumming them up).

If you want to try fixing it yourself, Pete Ganzel shows how to get to take this lens apart in his pbase albums so you can clean the aperture iris. You want the blades to be dry and snappy.

When you click on a photo in the album, you'll see some comments under the photo on how to perform the step shown.

Also see the forum entries below the album index for comments from others that fixed their own lens.

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disasse...xxum_50mm_lens

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4

Jim,

You're a wealth of knowledge and a true gent. Apart from taking me the whole day to take apart, clean, put together, take apart again (over and over) until I got the blades really clean, the lens now works great.

Need to check if it's focusing OK, but I see a screw to adjust that. It was a good chance to clear out some dust that was inside the lens too.

If anyone else is reading this, only do this is you absolutely have to as it's quite complicated and could ruin your lens. In my case the lens was useless anyway so I had nothing to lose.

Thanks again Jim.

Steve
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote