Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:04 AM   #1

I own a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D. The lenses I use with it are Minolta Zoom xi lens that are autofocus and have a power zoom. The lenses are about 15 years old. I own 2 batteries, the NP 400, both the original Minolta batteries (not generic). I am finding that after about 50 shots, eachbattery becomes exhausted. Does anyone know why the battery power is being used up so fast? Is it that the lenses are old so they are not power efficientand/or is it the power zoom sucks up the power?

Do I need to invest in some new lenses which will be efficient with the battey power?

Thanks

Nick

nickclev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:05 AM   #2
E.T

If that "power zoom" means non-mechanical zoom that's definitely one power hog if you zoom lot.

Also if you keep Anti-Shake on constantly it will consume some power.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:30 AM   #3

You should try posting this question in the KM/Sony SLR forum.

Your older AF lenses may be using more current than newer lenses, but those lenses do not have 'power zoom' (as in use electrical power to zoom). That 'power zoom' term is just marketing.

Try fully charging your batteries then mount a non-AF lens on your camera (or turn off the AF) and see how many shots you get. If you still get only around 50, then either your batteries or charger may be faulty.

Also try it with the anti-shake turned off.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Administrator

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Your older AF lenses may be using more current than newer lenses, but those lenses do not have 'power zoom' (as in use electrical power to zoom). That 'power zoom' term is just marketing..
Actually, they do (it's not just marketing). Some of the Minolta xi series lenses have a motorized zoom function, and they will still work on newer bodies.

Here is a little information on them:

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/aflens.html

nickclev

Digging through posts about some of these xi series lenses, I do find comments about the motorized zoom being slow and eating batteries.

Although most comments I'm finding are from Minolta 35mm owners using these lenses, I would assume the same thing would apply to using one with your 7D.

I'll move this post down to our Konica Minolta DSLR forum where you may get more responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:28 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Actually, they do (it's not just marketing).** Some of the Minolta xi series lenses have a motorized zoom function, and they will still work on newer bodies.
One learns something new every day. And here I thought this kind of silly idea was limited to only p&s cameras.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:50 PM   #6
Administrator

I've never owned a Minolta xi body or lens. For that mattter, I only starting buying Minolta lenses late last summer, not too long before the Konica Minolta 5D was released, and I have not bought any xi series lenses.

Most of my existing 35mm gear is Nikon (although I have acquired a couple of Minolta 35mm bodies buying package deals with bodies and lenses, none of them were designed specifically for the xi series lenses).

But, it's my understanding that this was a relatively sophisticated system for it's day (xi series lenses with compatible bodies), able to automatically maintain the same composition of a moving subject by varying both focal length and focus.

Apparently, you lose most of the functionality with a KM DSLR. But, the zoom is still power (when you turn the zoom ring, a motor is controlling the focal length via a "fly by wire" kind of system).

I did find some comments on it eating batteries. It must take a lot of juice, since the battery in these DSLR models is normally good for around 400 photos (and the OP is only getting 50).

With old Minolta AF lenses that don't have a power zoom, battery life is not an issue (at least not with old Minolta lenses I've acquired). So, it's likely that the power zoom is eating his battery life if he's tried more than one battery with the same results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote