Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:02 PM   #21

By far the biggest change to the camera controls is the function dial. I do agree that it was sort of a waste to have that dial completely dedicated to white balance.

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:04 PM   #22

That dial will make it easier to access changes
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:26 PM   #23

Here's a breakdown of the7 modes on theFunction Dial:

Metering
- Mode (multi-segment, center-weighted, and spot metering)

Flash
- Mode (Auto, flash on, rear sync, wireless)
- Flash compensation (-2EV to +2EV, 1/3EV increments)

Focus
- AF Area (Wide, center, focus area selection)
- AF mode (Single, DMF, automatic, continuous)

ISO / Zone Matching
- Setting (Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, Lo 80, Hi 200)

White Balance
- Mode (Auto, daylight, shade, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, flash, color temperature, custom)

D-Range Optimizer
- Setting (Off, standard, advanced)

Color / DEC
- Preset (Standard, vivid, portrait, landscape, sunset, night view, black & white, Adobe RGB)
- Contrast (-2 to +2, 1-step increments)
- Saturation (-2 to +2, 1-step increments)
- Sharpness (-2 to +2, 1-step increments)

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:09 AM   #24

Sony hassome pages up for the DSLR-A100 which includes lots of info on the new features and several PDF files:

http://www.sony.net/Products/dslr/index_pt2.html

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:12 PM   #25

Here is a link to a some great pics of the DSLR-A100 includingthe silver body version and one body cut in half!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/ds...6/07/3942.html

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:38 PM   #26

I am interested in the HLV-F56AM Flash. This looks like a rebranded Minolta 5600HS (D) flash and I am wondering if there is any information as to whether this would work with the existing Maxxum 7D and 5D cameras. Is there any advanced word on this?

I tried to contact Sony to get a technical answer to this question, but got stonewalled by the first line customer service department people whom I am sure do not know the answer to this or any other technical question if it hasn't been already answered in their database. This is the thing that scares me most about Sony taking over the KM line. When I purchased my Maxxum 9, Minolta had set up a special professional hotline where you could call an speak with technically savy people about the camera and its operations. Now with Sony, there is no technical support at all! I called the digital repair number hoping to get to speak with someone more knowledgable about the new A100 DSLR line and they answer the telephone Konica-Minolta! I asked them if they were a division of Sony and they said no, they were still KM and were still providing support for the KM equipment and knew nothing about the Sony line. Another call to Sony and they said that that repair group was a division of Sony and they handle repairs for all Sony and KM digital products. Well, how are the users supposed to get any information when the people working for the company don't even know what is going on? Sigh.
--
Jeffery Small
Jeffery Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:54 PM   #27

I'm also pretty sure that those Sony flashes are rebadged KM units. I'm not sure I'd bet $400 on it though. I guess I'll have to wait till the local shop gets them so I can testthem out. I am sure that corporate communication will improve as time goes on but I do fear the personalized support we had from Minolta and KM may be lost. My limited contact with Sony customer support is limited to helpless individuals whose only knowledge is where the 'produxt x' troubleshooting manual is.(by then I'm usually way past 'put new batteries in' and 'point the remote at the tv'.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:01 PM   #28

According to the Alpha Virtual Press Kit both flashes will be released in July and I can't see why they wouldn't work with 5D or 7D but you never know until someone actually has it to test. As far as contact info, here's what they had on that page:

Contact Information

Yolanda Hunt-Boes
Sony Electronics Inc.
[email protected]

Jenny Mehlow
Sony Electronics Inc.
[email protected]

Joslyn Beloff
Burson-Marsteller
[email protected]

Here's the link to the Alpha Accessory Chart with release dates and retail prices:

http://news.sel.sony.com/assets/Alph...ries_chart.htm

Here's the link to the Alpha LensesChart with release dates and retail prices:

http://news.sel.sony.com/assets/Alph...nses_chart.htm

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:33 AM   #29

Press release from http://www.zeiss.com

Sony and Carl Zeiss expand forces to offer enhanced imaging for DSLR Cameras

Oberkochen, June 6, 2006. The scientific expertise of Carl Zeiss in camera optics and the industry-leading position of Sony in the consumer electronics market offer a solid foundation for expanding the existing cooperation in the field of DSC and Camcorders into the field of digital single lens reflex cameras (DSLR). The first Sony DSLR camera with Carl Zeiss interchangeable lenses is the Sony ALPHA, also launched today.

"We are delighted to expand our collaboration with Sony, the world leader in consumer electronics. We consider this collaboration as an important step into the DSLR market," comments Dr. Winfried Scherle, General Manager & Vice President Carl Zeiss AG Camera Lens Division. "Sony's technological expertise and understanding of consumer markets combined with Carl Zeiss' proven proficiency of optics and lens solutions makes us a strong team."

Carl Zeiss AG will equip the new Sony Alpha DSLR camera, announced today, with a range of high performance autofocus lenses. These lenses are designated "ZA" signifying ZEISS lens for Sony Alpha mount.

The first three ZA lenses will be the Planar T* 1,4/85 ZA, the Sonnar T* 1,8/135 ZA, and the Vario-Sonnar T* DT 3,5-4,5/16-80 ZA. These lenses will be introduced at Photokina, the world's largest photo trade show, which opens its doors in Cologne on Sept. 26.

ZA lenses bring the superior Carl Zeiss image quality to the mainstream of today's DSLR photography. Combined with Sony's new Alpha DSLR which capitalizes on Sony's expertise as world leader in digital imaging sensors, advanced image formation algorithms, image stabilizing technology, and a well-proven user interface, ambitious photographers are now being offered a powerful new imaging system.

Although designed primarily for current and future Sony DSLR cameras, most Carl Zeiss ZA lenses - except the Vario-Sonnar T* DT 3,5-4,5/16-80 ZA - cover the full 35 mm frame and are therefore compatible with existing Alpha-mount cameras in the market. These include the well-known Minolta Dynax and Maxxum SLRs, both digital and analog.

Carl Zeiss ZA lenses will be distributed exclusively through Sony. For information on availability and prices please contact your nearest Sony representative or http://www.sony.com

Kornelius Müller,
Marketing Manager, Camera Lens Division
Tel. + 49 7364 20-2687
Email: [email protected]

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com

Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:51 AM   #30

Which one do you prefer?

I'm talking about the cameras ! :lol:

Randy Wheeler
DnRedit.com