Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1

Hi all,

My KM 5D is not working. If I install a fresh battery, it will power on. Everything works except that I can't make any exposure. It focus but when I press the button all the way, the shutter just doesn't do anything. There is no error message. If AS is on, the AS icon on the view finder will flash constansly. Then when I power off the camera, the access light get steady red and the LCD freezes. Everything is frozen. I can't power it on again. I have to take the battery out.

It is still on warranty but I wondering if anyone have some problem and can fix it without having to send it back.

Thank you,

Thanh
redhatbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:52 AM   #2

It must be a hardware problem. You can try with a different CF or without it (you can disable the "CF not present" error from the menu), there is a very slight chance for this to be the problem. The AS sensor pooling constant shaking must be a serios hardware problem.
dlbogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3

No, haven't had any malfunction as long as I keep my fingers off the lens release button, the lens is locked in prperly and have a card in it.

Lack of problems with the 5D is one of the major reason why I chose it over the 7D.

Hope its nothin major, best of luck
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4

I tried two different cards and lenses. I found out that this is quite common problem for both the 7D and the 5D. At least four other people have the same symtom and one of them have a 7D. I am wondering if this is a major problem to watch for in a long run.

Thanh
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5

Might be time to talk with a technician.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:25 PM   #6

Have you tried to use the software reset in the camera's menu? It may be worth a try.

I had a similar fault in my fist 7d, I returned it to my vendor and they cheerfully replaced it. (rah rah Cybershops!!)The AS lights on the right flashed when the shutter release was pressed, and the shutter would not release. It seemed to me like the AS was trying to learn its parameters when the camera first powered up, but timed out after 3-4 seconds.

Also, I believe the AS is fairly sensitive and fragile. It may not survive a drop or impact that you may expect it to.

I did buy that mack warranty for this body, it is full of technological wonders that I have no business trying to understand. This way, all I need to know is that I gave them $60 and they need to fix it. (at least for the next 5 years)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:07 AM   #7

I have the exact same prolem as your first 7D. I have I tried everything. Talked to Minolta and sent to Zoomtron (service shop for Canada). Will let you know when it comes back.

On dpreview forum , there are many people have the same probelm.

How is your experience with Mack so far? Are reliable?

Thanks,

Thanh

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried to use the software reset in the camera's menu? It may be worth a try.

I had a similar fault in my fist 7d, I returned it to my vendor and they cheerfully replaced it. (rah rah Cybershops!!)The AS lights on the right flashed when the shutter release was pressed, and the shutter would not release. It seemed to me like the AS was trying to learn its parameters when the camera first powered up, but timed out after 3-4 seconds.

Also, I believe the AS is fairly sensitive and fragile. It may not survive a drop or impact that you may expect it to.

I did buy that mack warranty for this body, it is full of technological wonders that I have no business trying to understand. This way, all I need to know is that I gave them $60 and they need to fix it. (at least for the next 5 years)
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:03 AM   #8

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
No, haven't had any malfunction as long as I keep my fingers off the lens release button, the lens is locked in prperly and have a card in it.

Lack of problems with the 5D is one of the major reason why I chose it over the 7D.

Hope its nothin major, best of luck
I wasn't aware that 7Ds had more problems than 5Ds or that either of them had any major issues.

Just in case, glad I got the Mack 5 Year Warranty.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:59 AM   #9

I haven't used the Mack warranty yet. When I called them to check it out, it seemed very comprehensive and easy to use. (of course this was when I was offering to give them $, not looking to have an item serviced) You only need to pay for shipping to Mack if the camera needs service.

My experience with extended warranties in general is mixed. Circuit City has been the best to me, replacing a $300 phone (when cordless was expensive) after 1 1/2 years with no problems at all. Walked in with a broken one, came out with a new one. Best Buy goes to lengths to avoid servicing their warranty, as does Sears.

I don't know if this is a big problem, I think it is just a common one in cameras that do fail. The internet chat forum certainly gives every person that has a problem a chance to complain in public. Still after replacing one, $60 didn't seem a bad investment.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote