Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

Hi, I just order the 7D kit with 18-70 mm lens at Walmart.com for $699 and stumble upon this forum. Should I cancel the order and wait for the Sony Alpha since it get more pixels and anti-dust? The street price is going to be comparable. I have an old 800si with 5 lenses.
KD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:08 PM   #2

It wont be shipping for a couple months (end of july), nobody knows and real details yet, sensor dust should not factor into a buying decision, and resolution isnt the holy grail. Noise, for all we know, could even be worse (general trend with smaller photosites).

Your not going to beat that price, the sony site listed $899 for what appeared to be body only. Street price is anybodys guess, but that deal on the 7D is amazing.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:59 PM   #3

The deal is amazing until something breaks on the 7D and you have to go through two months of hassle (minimum) to get a refund on the camera.

Parts for the 7D are damn-near impossible to get. So, once it's out of warranty (one year) you will be SOL if anything breaks.

My guess is that Sony wants to completely phase-out the 5D/7D for the sake of the Alpha.
William Kious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:10 PM   #4

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
So, once it's out of warranty (one year) you will be SOL if anything breaks.
I noticed Walmart.com has a 3year extended warranty for 88 bucks. Might be worth considering.
vision 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:00 PM   #5

William Kious wrote:
Quote:
The deal is amazing until something breaks on the 7D and you have to go through two months of hassle (minimum) to get a refund on the camera.

Parts for the 7D are darn-near impossible to get. So, once it's out of warranty (one year) you will be SOL if anything breaks.

My guess is that Sony wants to completely phase-out the 5D/7D for the sake of the Alpha.
I purchased a Mack 5 Year warranty on EBay real cheap just in case. I could also sell it on EBay before the year is up and pickup an Alpha. Evenif the price drops on the 7D used market I won't do too bad since I got it with the 28-75mm 2.8 D lens for 949. The lens alone is worth over300.

At least you got your money back, though it was and is a hassle for you. I believe you have money tied up in lenses.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote