Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:50 PM   #11

Like I said, I doubt its many problem lenses but its enough to make me a little uneasy. Seems like those who get good copies really like them though. I guess I'm still undecided, which is fine since they arent in stock yet and I dont have the money. I want a wide angle lens that really very good, seems my options are the sigma 18-50 or tamron 17-50 (or the elusive and crazy expensive 17-35 G).

Anyway, glad to hear that you've had good luck and your pictures look great.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:27 AM   #12
NHL

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
... I cannot say the same thing for my Sigma flashgun. It's mediocre, inconsistent and regardless of what Sigma says- it does not seem to have communication with the camera (beyond focal length).
Again I can only speak from my own experience (which folks also have a lot of under/over exposure issues with in the Canon system) - Theses are all shots using the EF-500DG Super:

As a fill:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

... and with two units in the wireless mode @ 13mm (using a 12-24 super wide):
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:35 AM   #13
NHL

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I want a wide angle lens that really very good, seems my options are the sigma 18-50 or tamron 17-50 (or the elusive and crazy expensive 17-35 G).
FYI - http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/zoomvprimes
-> they are both 'digital' lenses so my guess is they'll (tamron/Sigma) outperform the "G" in sharpness. I've been looking at lots of MTF charts and usually this is the case for most 'digital' lenses vs the "L" which are the Canon's equivalent to the "G"...

Kind of make sense since the 'digital' lenses project the image at less of an accute angle because of the shorter backthrow, and also there is more contrast because of the lesser internal reflections (or coatings as in the DG series)...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:05 AM   #14

Think about it. If all that Sony does is 'licence' the Zeiss name and then can slap the Zeiss logo on any crap lensthey like (and then charge a premium price) why don't they do it for every lens in the old K-M line? Why not call them ALL Zeiss lenses?

They could either get substantially more money for each lens OR they would appear to be offering incredible bargains for superior lenses.

The answer is that they can't...it isn't just a question of 'licencing'. Zeiss is a premuim lens and the only way they can charge premuim prices is to maintian their reputation for superior quality. If they allowed their name to be used on a lousy lens, wouldn't that be cutting their own throats? They would be destroying their own reputation.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:05 PM   #15

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I can only speak for myself since I own at least 5 Sigma all EX series and no return (and will likely buy again in the Minolta mount)

See these links below for sample images:
120-300 f/2.8 EX (with a 2x teleconverter ON)!
150 f/2.8 EX Macro
12-24 EX
17-35 f/2.8 EX

Think about it - how can an outfit stay solvent when they are offering a 3-years warranty on their lenses when most of the shipments get returned?
As you probably know from your plant that warranty repair works can be costly to any business - Would it then behoove any company to get their product right the 1st time out through QC (i.e. six Sigma) so they can maximize their profits?

-> There's no doubt in my mind that some lens can be faulty (through shipment or otherwise), but they tend to be more in the (vocal)minority than the norm... :idea:
Quote:
Are you pretty happy with the performance of the 17-35mm?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:42 PM   #16

I searched so hard for a good wide angle zoom. Thought I had something good with the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX.

Turns out it has a focusing issue. All of a sudden I couldn't shoot in-focus pictures. When that lens gets it right though...WOW. Very nice..clear and sharp. Sigma wants me to send it in for 'repair'. They also said if, after i get it back it still is not right, I will need to send my camera back in with it!

I really don't want to part with my camera (KM 5D) and for $400.00+ I really shouldn't have to. I hate Sigma right now but I also have a 70-300 APO by Sigma that I love so I guess their quality control is an issue.

Hope the Zeiss stuff is real.
sonolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:43 AM   #17

is this glass, Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85 mm being sold already?
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:08 PM   #18

That depends on your definition of sold. Sony's site reports that it will be available for 'pre-order' on Sept 29, 2006. I guess that means they'll be willing to take your $, but won't be shipping your lens.

Luckily for you impatient lens buyers I am willing to provide that very same service today. Yep, you read right- I will take your money off your hands today, and at some point in the (distant) future I will ship your lens. You could save almost 3 weeks of waiting by 'pre-ordering' with me today!!!
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:16 AM   #19

haha!!! :blah:

if i you were given a chance to get a km 85 1.4G or the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm
what would you choose?

thanks

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
That depends on your definition of sold. Sony's site reports that it will be available for 'pre-order' on Sept 29, 2006. I guess that means they'll be willing to take your $, but won't be shipping your lens.

Luckily for you impatient lens buyers I am willing to provide that very same service today. Yep, you read right- I will take your money off your hands today, and at some point in the (distant) future I will ship your lens. You could save almost 3 weeks of waiting by 'pre-ordering' with me today!!!
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:30 PM   #20

Tough call, I haven't seen the CZ lens yet. I do expect it is exactly the same lens (except for badging), so I'd probably buy on price and condition more than on quality of light transmission. ( the CZ glass may also feature digital optimized coatings, which would be a factor).
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote