Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:41 AM   #31

I don't hang out in clubs (been there, done that & paid very well for it too...thanks for the tips)! I've also shot in complete darkness using both film & digital cameras (with only the film being SLR's). The highest I've ever shot was ISO-400 & that was film at night....the highest in total darknes for digital was ISO 200 & using a flashlight for illumination.

I'm not saying ISO 3200 is bad, but in the real world of taking good images...who needs it other than a Rolling Stone/Sports Illustrated Pro, or the casual shooter who wants to shoot off-hand in some dimly lit area? Although, I can see walking into a pub & Jimmy Buffett is doing a song for fun & me not having ISO-3200......lol!

Jeez....Playboy shoots with up to 60 strobes for a magazine shot & they AIM at the shot looking moody & dim. Just a thought & worth exactly what you paid for it.......
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:58 AM   #32
Administrator

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I don't hang out in clubs (been there, done that & paid very well for it too...thanks for the tips)! I've also shot in complete darkness using both film & digital cameras (with only the film being SLR's). The highest I've ever shot was ISO-400 & that was film at night....the highest in total darknes for digital was ISO 200 & using a flashlight for illumination.
It's a local seafood restaurant with live music. Sometimes they have a piano player, and sometimes they'll have a small band. Older crowd, conservative music.

We eat dinner there. It's not "hanging out in clubs". ;-)

I like taking pics everywhere we go, including when out fo dinner, and I have for years.

Unfortunately, this particular restaurant dims all of the lighting when the music starts, and there is NO lighting at all on the band. No stage lighting, nothing. The only light is coming from small candles on tables, and there were no tables anywhere near the stage for this band. They had the tables pulled back away from the band this time (opening up an area for patrons to dance).

That's actually the best I've seen lighting there (or lack thereof), as I was metering 1/15 second at f/2 and ISO 3200 on average. To help with motion blur, I underexposed a tad using manual exposure at 1/20 second, f/2 and ISO 3200 (and it's still tough to get any shots at all without motion blur at shutter speeds that slow with moving performers).

I think ligihting was better than normal because they had a tiny map light on a music stand, and a touch of light from outside coming in through stain glass windows behind the band, hence I was able to get shutter speeds up to 1/20 second, underexposing a bit at ISO 3200, shooting wide open at f/2.

When they have a piano player there, shutter speeds are usually *slower* (they play more in the middle of the restaurant). A flashlight would be a HUGE improvement (or even a few candles near the band), and they don't like me using a flash there.

The last time I tried using a flash, I was asked to stop (patrons complained). I've been asked to stop using a flash one time prior to that, too (shooting with a little pocket camera).

No, the photos are not going to be tack sharp at ISO speeds that high and shutter speeds that slow. DOF is very shallow shooting wide open with a lens like my 100mm f/2 and the performers are not motionless. But, they are better than no photos at all if you like capturing memories of places you visit. ;-)

Thanks to ISO 3200 and anti-shake, I'm able to get photos at places I have not been able to in the past with other cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:25 PM   #33

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
It's a local seafood restaurant with live music. Sometimes they have a piano player, and sometimes they'll have a small band. Older crowd, conservative music.

We eat dinner there. It's not "hanging out in clubs". ;-)

I like taking pics everywhere we go, including when out fo dinner, and I have for years.

Unfortunately, this particular restaurant dims all of the lighting when the music starts, and there is NO lighting at all on the band. No stage lighting, nothing. The only light is coming from small candles on tables, and there were no tables anywhere near the stage for this band. They had the tables pulled back away from the band this time (opening up an area for patrons to dance).

That's actually the best I've seen lighting there (or lack thereof), as I was metering 1/15 second at f/2 and ISO 3200 on average. To help with motion blur, I underexposed a tad using manual exposure at 1/20 second, f/2 and ISO 3200 (and it's still tough to get any shots at all without motion blur at shutter speeds that slow with moving performers).

I think ligihting was better than normal because they had a tiny map light on a music stand, and a touch of light from outside coming in through stain glass windows behind the band, hence I was able to get shutter speeds up to 1/20 second, underexposing a bit at ISO 3200, shooting wide open at f/2.

When they have a piano player there, shutter speeds are usually *slower* (they play more in the middle of the restaurant). A flashlight would be a HUGE improvement (or even a few candles near the band), and they don't like me using a flash there.

The last time I tried using a flash, I was asked to stop (patrons complained). I've been asked to stop using a flash one time prior to that, too (shooting with a little pocket camera).

No, the photos are not going to be tack sharp at ISO speeds that high and shutter speeds that slow. DOF is very shallow shooting wide open with a lens like my 100mm f/2 and the performers are not motionless. But, they are better than no photos at all if you like capturing memories of places you visit. ;-)

Thanks to ISO 3200 and anti-shake, I'm able to get photos at places I have not been able to in the past with other cameras.

Sorry Jim, I didn't intend to make it sound like you hung out in clubs (I was only commenting on the fact that I was a bartender for way too many years). I also tend to shoot in enviroments that I have control over (strictly a personal choice on my part), but I would love a good AS camera that could shoot clean images at ISO 3200.....