Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:23 PM   #1

I have a Maxxum 5d. I just found out that KM sold to Sony, that they are discontinuing camera service, and that Sony has taken over their camera operations (good/bad I don't know). I am a little panicked now because I only have the kit lens that I bought with the camera and I was just able to find the 5600HS(D) from some place in Idaho for the street price of US$400.

So, fist of all, does anyone know if Sony will make lenses that will fit and, more importantly, work with the 5d (I had an ugly experience with my Maxxum 7 glass and flashes).

Also, does anyone have recommendations for an advanced beginner with regards to an additional lens for the 5D, before they all run out. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I like to take portrait pictures of my daughter, family, pets and I will eventually use the camera for my children's sporting events and whatever else I can take pictures of. Maybe getting the macro ring flash that goes with the Minolta 5d (1200) would be nice for those close up shots.

Or should I stop worrying at all because Sony will save the day for all of us KM owners?

As far as price, I do not want to bust the bank but I am willing to spend some now than be left out in the cold with one lens and nowhere to go.

Cesar
mrwizard93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:35 PM   #2

Some of the best minolta lenses have been discontinued for YEARS already, but are still plentiful. There are over 16 million lenses out there, nothing to panic about. Sony is continuing production on many of the existing minolta lenses and adding some new ones, but none will be availible for a little bit yet.

Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina (amoung others) all make minolta mount lenses. Some very good.

There is NO need to panic about lenses, all told, nothing has really even changed.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:13 PM   #3

I agree with the above, there is no need to worry about lens availability. In the short term, those who like you get a bit spooked may clamour for them and drive prices up. In the long term, Sony wants to take a very large share of the DSLR market away from Canon and Nikon, they cannot do this without a full line of lenses. They have already announced 19 Sony badged lenses and and Sigma, Tamron and Tokina have announced new Maxxum mount lenses since the Sony Takeover of KM's camera operations were announced. I expect Sony to sell considerably more A mount bodies in the next 5 years than KM has over the last 5 years.

Just visit Ebay if you need a little comfort. There are over 600 Maxxum lenses available right now.

The only lenses that may not work with your 5d are some old Sigma lenses. I've never heard anyone complain using a Minolta, KM, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, Cosina, Promaster, or Phoenix lens. (at least not about them not working properly on the mount)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:01 PM   #4
Administrator

Be careful with the 1200 Macro Flash. You'll need to make sure you've got the latest Macro Flash Contoller (it has 3 ports for connecting strobes) for compatibility with KM DSLR models. The older macro controller is not compatible (strobes will fire at full power with it).

As for a "walk around" lens, I'd recommend looking at the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. It's a decent lens from a contrast, color and sharpness perspective, and it's inexpensive on the used market. I've been sticking with this one as my main walk around lens lately.

As others have mentioned, there are many lenses available in Minolta AF mount. Here are some of them:

Fixed Focal Length Lenses

Macro Lenses

Zoom Lenses

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

I feel better now about the availability of lenses and such. I did some research of my own and did get a sense of calm from people that are more familiar with what is going on with Sony. Now as far as lenses, i would like to have, say, a stable of 3 lenses for my use. There are so many zoom lenses out there that it can confuse. Which lens is good for the price. Should i stick with the KM/Sony line and spend more or do the other manufacturers have good stuff at a good price?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6

The tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would cover 90% of my needs, seems like a great all around lens. I'll probably sell my 50/1.7 when I get one. The 100-200 f/4.5 is good, small, and light so its no trouble to have that with all the time too. They [would] make a good team.

After that my desires start to specialize more, I have a 90mm macro lens, and would like to have a 70-210 f/2.8 for those times when size/weight/money are no object. I'd also like at least one fast multi-purpose prime, but the 50mm just isnt it (its too long) so I want the sigma 30mm f/1.4. It would be nice to have a really long lens too (300-500mm) for those occasional opertunitys like a surprise african safari or to make the moon look enourmous as it rises over a farm.

The best all-around focal length (to me) is the 18-50mm range. The times I've used the kit lens at 50-70mm I generally really wanted something longer but didnt want to bother changing lenses. I've often tried and tried to zoom out past 18mm, but still havent gotten the lens to comply. An ultra wide would be nice to have (11-18mm).

Your needs will be different, you seem to have no idea what you need or why you need it. Stick with what you have, after using the kit lens for long enough you'll see if you need wider, longer, bigger aperture, or better sharpness, etc. If you have something specific in mind, let us know. Based on your generalizations, I'd probably recomend the kit lens. Every manufacurer makes junk and gems, it needs to be evaluated on a lens-by-lens basis. You have all the time in the world to pick a lens, right now (since last fall) is probably the worst were going to see for lens availibility, ever. New minolta lenses are mostly gone, new sony lenses arent out yet, and some of the best 3rd party lenses are just being released. All the panic, confusion, and new 5d owners have caused the used lens market to go up in price lately, but mostly anything your looking for is still availible.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:09 PM   #7

Thank you for the thorough response. You are right, i see now that there is no need to panic over this transition. I just hope the Sony stuff is fully backwards compatible - it would be nice to have a range of choices/solutions.