Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1

Has anyone seen any pre-order prices for the A-100 in the UK - a simple currency converter of $999 brings it to £538 which sounds a great price for a 10.2MP DSLR with an 18-70mm lens.

Looks like being a toss up between this and the D50 from Nikon - although to be honest I am being persuaded just by the info on the Sony. Best bet to wait and see I suppose - as long as I can connect my sync lead to it I will be one happy bunny.:-)
EdGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator

EdGallagher wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone seen any pre-order prices for the A-100 in the UK - a simple currency converter of $999 brings it to £538 which sounds a great price for a 10.2MP DSLR with an 18-70mm lens.
I tried a quick search on the Sonystyle UK site and they don't have it listed yet. I'm not familiar with UK dealers. But, some of them probably have it on their web sites by now.

Quote:
Looks like being a toss up between this and the D50 from Nikon - although to be honest I am being persuaded just by the info on the Sony. Best bet to wait and see I suppose - as long as I can connect my sync lead to it I will be one happy bunny.:-)
Well, the new Sony should be a much more advanced camera, with features like Dynamic Range enhancement and stabilization for every lens you use on it.

As for "connect my sync lead to it".... what are you referring to? Do you mean for strobes? Neither one of these cameras has a PC Sync Port. But, you can get hotshoe adapters for both models to give them one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:14 PM   #3

hotshoe adapter - that's what I was meaning, I know you can get one for the Nikon, but I was unsure about the Sony. Although having looked online I see they have one.

Funnily enough I was in a few camera shops and a number of them stated that they don't sell any Sony cameras - online I guess will be the best option.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:03 AM   #4

Unfortunately you can't estimate the UK price by running the US price through a currency converter. The price tends to be higher for many reasons. If the body only price is $899my guess would be that the body only price in the UK is going to start at £699 typically. That's still good. This camera is way better than a D50 and compares more with the Canon 30D.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:18 AM   #5

I still think the kit will come in at under £600 - mainly because it would make it a killer buy for a DSLR, and as a lot of people are now looking at DSLRs over their old compacts it would make it the logical choice to go for. Although what is interesting is that with the A-100 where does that leave the R1 pricewise - big price cut coming perhaps??
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6

Sony have a hotshoe adapter with a pc sync socket listed as part of their accessories for the Aplha 100 and as it is the KM hotshoe, you should be able to fit any KM or aftermarket adapter too.

Looking at the specs, the Nikon D50 is several levels below this one. Compared to my KM 5D it feels cheap and plasticky but the real shock comes when you look through the viewfinder. Not the nice large bright viewfinder that you get on the KM, it's a tiny dim thing.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Administrator

Ikki wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the specs, the Nikon D50 is several levels below this one. Compared to my KM 5D it feels cheap and plasticky but the real shock comes when you look through the viewfinder. Not the nice large bright viewfinder that you get on the KM, it's a tiny dim thing.
The viewfinder on the 5D isbetter. But, it's not the best in the world either. ;-)

The Nikon DSLR models do have a peculiar "quirk" that can be misleading.

The camera has to be powered up before the aperture is opened. So, if you look through one without it being turned on, it will appear to be much dimmer than it will be when turned on.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:38 AM   #8

You're right. Body only it's going to start at £599. Not bad.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote