Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:14 PM   #11

Well, I just gave Walmart a call. It's being processed and supposedly will arrive by June 14th. I ordered it yesterday and paid for 2 day shipping. Told the rep that's pretty bad - 7days from order with paying for two day shipping. Never got an email confirmation of the order but it shows up on my account on line. We'll see what happens.

Jim, I'm optimistic that I'll love the camera but I haven't physically handled it. That's why I was concerned about the return policy. I just wish it would get here soon so I can start playing with it!
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:27 AM   #12

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
I checked my local Circuit City and the salesman checked through the boxes in the cabinet but they had nothing. I ordered the $699 7D from Walmart but no news on it being shipped yet. I figured that Walmart has a good return policy if I don't like it. It may come down a little more in price but how much? I would like to have the camera now that it's almost summer. The Sony is going to be more than what I want to invest right now. At least I'll have a good camera body and I can add more lenses in time.

Besides the Tamron 28-300 lens, are there any others good for outdoor shooting that I should keep an eye out for?
It may drop some more in general, but that Walmart price is lower than most. Truthfully, in my opinion, I don't believe the introduction of the Sony will affect the 7D price that much as I see happening with the 5D because the 7D is aimed at a different market. Of course, people that are on the 5D/7D fence might go with the Sony. The 5D does attract some people that prefer a smaller camera and when I was shopping I was almost afraid ofthe size and weight of the 7D, but now a 5D in my hands doesn't feel as good. After owning the 7D, I wouldn't want the Alphauntil they come out with version comparable tothe 7D. The 10 megapixel and antidust feature are attractive, but I like the feel and features of the 7D.

I don't understand why they bothered to drop the price so much on the 5D because there aren't many around and the Sony isn't out just yet. It's not like they are going to get stuck with them, although I notice the Ebay prices seem to be dropping closer to 500 on the 5D. Then you see some people paying outrageous prices.

It's funny but I recently bought a discontinued Panasonic Camcorder that had more features than its suggested replacement because of the dumbing down of the camcorder market. At first the discoed model was actually going for more than its replacement because it's what people wanted. I had bought one for 699 and they were hard to comeby. At the time I paid 699, I was getting a good deal and I could have bought another and sold it on Ebay for a profit, but I didn't. Well, within 14 days Best Buy dropped the price twice and I ended up going back to get a price adjustment. I endedup paying 399 for the camcorder and before you know it they sold out. Truthfully, in that case I think it was a global mistake in a price change at Best Buy because that was way below cost and there was no need to sell it at those prices. The salespeople in the stores didn't even know the price had dropped.Someone found out by accident and then leaked out the info in aPanasonic camcorder forum. The unit is in such demand,I could probably still sell mine for an arm and a leg.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:28 AM   #13

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I just gave Walmart a call. It's being processed and supposedly will arrive by June 14th. I ordered it yesterday and paid for 2 day shipping. Told the rep that's pretty bad - 7days from order with paying for two day shipping. Never got an email confirmation of the order but it shows up on my account on line. We'll see what happens.

Jim, I'm optimistic that I'll love the camera but I haven't physically handled it. That's why I was concerned about the return policy. I just wish it would get here soon so I can start playing with it!
Even if you couldn't return it... you could break even or make a profit on Ebay.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:41 AM   #14

Mine just shipped out today from wally world. 3 full days since order.

We did call today before it shipped and they will refund the difference between the 2 day shipping and standard if it doesn't arrive by the original delivery date, which was tomorrow...
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:55 PM   #15

As it turns out, after another phone call, they refunded ALL of the shipping charges!
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:41 PM   #16

That's good to know. Got my phone call today and they shipped but looking at the shipping invoice, it says standard, not two day and they changed the estimated delivery dates. I've never gone through this with any other online vendor.I called them andthey agreed that the arrival dates were changed but was probably a computer error. If I didn't receive it by the original time, they would credit the shipping. In other words, I got a bs line. I'll see when it arrives.

Post back when yours arrives.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:12 PM   #17

Got my 7D today. Man, I've got a lot to learn about this camera but it felt real nice in my hands. Only got to take a few shots by the time the battery charged and the sun set. Another really confusing manual. LOL
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:47 PM   #18

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
Got my 7D today. Man, I've got a lot to learn about this camera but it felt real nice in my hands. Only got to take a few shots by the time the battery charged and the sun set. Another really confusing manual. LOL
Congrats.... I was in the same boat when I first got mine. I'm finally starting to enjoy it.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:31 PM   #19

Mine came in today! 8 days to ship from TN to NE.... But, considering the price, I'm not going to whine too much.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:47 PM   #20
Administrator

schmoken, sail978(and anyone else I missed).

Congrats on the new camera!

Make sure to share some photos. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote