Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:21 PM   #1

I still see that Walmart has them for $699. I presently have an Olympus digital and want to move up. I still have a lot to learn about about cameras and I'm wondering if this camera is going to be too hard for me to use. I shoot mostly outdoor sports and scenery. Since I'm on a boat when I shoot sailing (I do a lot of video with a Panasonic PV GS400), I thought the anti shake would be great. I also am thinking of getting the Tamron 70-300 lens from EBay.

Am I going to get in over my head with this or will I be able to grow into it? Any imput is appreciated.

sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:08 PM   #2

Get the 7D, but rather than the 70-300, I would recommend the 28-300. It can be had for $144.95 from Cameta Camera or for $149.95 from Cord Camera. Both are eBay dealers. I have both the 28-300 and the 70-300, and the difference in quality is astounding.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:10 PM   #3

You're absolutely right. Don't know where I got 70-300mm because when I looked at my notes, it said 28-300mm. Getting old. I looked at the long thread regarding the Tamron 28-300mm lens and it seems that this would be good. Good to know that another person really likes this lens.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:50 PM   #4

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
I still see that Walmart has them for $699. I presently have an Olympus digital and want to move up. I still have a lot to learn about about cameras and I'm wondering if this camera is going to be too hard for me to use. I shoot mostly outdoor sports and scenery. Since I'm on a boat when I shoot sailing (I do a lot of video with a Panasonic PV GS400), I thought the anti shake would be great. I also am thinking of getting the Tamron 70-300 lens from EBay.

Am I going to get in over my head with this or will I be able to grow into it? Any imput is appreciated.

Are you sure they still have it?

I just did a search and at first it for 699on their site. It was because I searched for Maxxum 7D. What really dumb is that it comes up with a higher price (977) that way. It comes with the 28-100 lens but that doesn't make it worth it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3985103

The 699 with the 18-70 lens is a better buy

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4898002

Have you considered the 5D for 475 at Circuit City? If you can find one that is. I already have a 7D.... I'm almost tempted to try and find a 5D as a second camera, but my wife might kill and do I really need it? I am even thinking about another 7D for 699 because the price is so good, but then I keep asking myself... what for? I guess it's debatable which is a better deal. The Circuit by me only has the display and they don't seem to want to sell it yet. I didn't push and ask for a manager, but I don't know what the point is to keeping something on display when they don't have it. I'm going to check the store where I work, didn't think to ask them to check it for me. They did mention several stores in my area that didn't have it. As a second camera, I think the 5D might make more sense for me since it is a little lighter, but again, I don't really need it, but it's hard for me to pass up a deal like that. At that price I wouldn't wait for the Sony. I don't feel you gain enough to make up the price difference unless someone is stuck on 10 meg and the CCD cleaner. I think even the 7D is a better buy than waiting for the Sony.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:50 PM   #5

Meanstreak, I was in the same boat on whether to buy a 5d as a backup, but I've since decided to wait to see how the A100 is recieved. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of those 5d's for sale used in 6 months or so- as the novelty of DSLR wears off on true p&s people, so I'm pretty sure I'll still have the 5d as an option. (though it may cost more than new right now...)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:09 PM   #6

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak, I was in the same boat on whether to buy a 5d as a backup, but I've since decided to wait to see how the A100 is recieved. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of those 5d's for sale used in 6 months or so- as the novelty of DSLR wears off on true p&s people, so I'm pretty sure I'll still have the 5d as an option. (though it may cost more than new right now...)
True.... after Sony is out, the price on the KM's mayeventually go down even further.

475 is hard to resist though. That is some buy on DSLR.... the 7D is a terifficdeal for 699 at Walmart too. Actually the 7D was a good deal even when it was little higher a couple of months ago. I don't know why more people don't jump on these cameras, thought I don't imagine many 5D's are left. I guess some just fear buying a brand that techically doesn't exist.Who cares if KM isn't around now that Sony has taken over the KM mount? A couple of years down the road as technology comes out with something better, all of the current model DSLRs won't be worth nuch anyway. I'll bet Sony does well with the antishake and anti-dust feature. I see they are sneaking in that duostick as an option. I'll bet they end up switching to that in future models.

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:15 PM   #7

sail978 wrote:
Quote:

The best thing about the 7D and probably most of the DSLRs is that you can use them like a point and shoot. I say most just in case on the doesn't have that capability. Some will argue that if you don't learn to use aDSLR and only use as a point and shot it is a waste of money, but I disagree.Even if you only use it as a point and shoot, it still takes better pictures than anypoint and shoot. Some super high-end point and shoots may comeclose if they are using a large sensor like the Sony R1, but it still can'tcompare to a DSLRand you can't switch lenses.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:30 PM   #8

I checked my local Circuit City and the salesman checked through the boxes in the cabinet but they had nothing. I ordered the $699 7D from Walmart but no news on it being shipped yet. I figured that Walmart has a good return policy if I don't like it. It may come down a little more in price but how much? I would like to have the camera now that it's almost summer. The Sony is going to be more than what I want to invest right now. At least I'll have a good camera body and I can add more lenses in time.

Besides the Tamron 28-300 lens, are there any others good for outdoor shooting that I should keep an eye out for?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:25 PM   #9

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
I ordered the $699 7D from Walmart but no news on it being shipped yet.
I had to wait until they calledto confirm the order. Due to the price, they wanted to make sure they weren't dealing with a stolen card.
Of course, it took them 2 days to get around to calling, so you might want to call them instead of waiting.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:41 PM   #10
Administrator

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
I figured that Walmart has a good return policy if I don't like it. It may come down a little more in price but how much?
AFAIK, this is the cheapest price on the planet for a new 7D, even without a lens (and the wal-martdeal has an 18-70mm lens with it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote