Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:34 PM   #11

Color management is sometimes confusing for sure. Do some reading and use google as your best friend to help figure things out. The first thing to do is calibrate your monitor. The key to a good workflow is to be consistent from camera to printer. Mixing RGB modes can lead to trouble. sRGB is probably the safest way to go for most folks. Also having both the editing program and printer color manage will give you poor results (double profiling).

Natural+ is contrast +1 and saturation 0. It has nothing to do with RGB modes.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:10 AM   #12

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Color management is sometimes confusing for sure. Do some reading and use google as your best friend to help figure things out. The first thing to do is calibrate your monitor. The key to a good workflow is to be consistent from camera to printer. Mixing RGB modes can lead to trouble. sRGB is probably the safest way to go for most folks. Also having both the editing program and printer color manage will give you poor results (double profiling).

Natural+ is contrast +1 and saturation 0. It has nothing to do with RGB modes.

You are right, Natural+ is Contrast +1 and Sharpness +1, neutral Saturation. But those are just presets, nothing to do with color space.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:18 AM   #13

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Page 62 and 63 of the 5D's manual tells us that if you don't choose Adobe RGB or Adobe RGB embedded it will default to sRGB. We are also told that if you go to embedded and try to tun it through Kodak Easy Share or its like the results will be nasty. Yet, embedded is what its all about as it allows color space communication between the camera, the proceeing program, the monitor and the printer.

I can try going back to Adobe RGB Embedded in the 5D and just see how it all goes while I delve further into this great mystery.
According to what I read Embedded Adobe RGBis a much larger color space than sRGB an it is what professional grpahic artists use that have very expensive printers. If you shoot in embedded mode and want to share the file electronically with others, you have to convert back to sRGB. According to the author of the book I found that in, it is best to stick with Natural or Natural +.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:21 PM   #14

Sure appreciate everyones input here and hope there is more.

Comprehsive color management has been bugging me a while now and finally decided to get into it from Norman Koren to the International Color Consortium.

At the ICC web site you realize architects of the various operating systems, editing software, and hardware are just not unified in their approach to color management. If you would like to see how well your browser and sytem deals with ICC profiles they have a couple very nifty little tests.

Here is a decent quick view
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_management

neet test
http://www.color.org/version4ready.html
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote