Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:13 AM   #11

RavenFalls wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a link to somewhere that is selling the Tamron for $149. As I posted earlier, it looks like the previous iteration of the 28-300 has dried up, and the only version available on eBay is the new version for $357. I haven't found a lower price for a Tamron 28-300, of any vintage, anywhere else, either.

You are right. It's not there anymore. I got to stop promoting that it is available at that price. I guess I lucked out by getting it when they were selling them off.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:13 AM   #12

RavenFalls wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a link to somewhere that is selling the Tamron for $149. As I posted earlier, it looks like the previous iteration of the 28-300 has dried up, and the only version available on eBay is the new version for $357. I haven't found a lower price for a Tamron 28-300, of any vintage, anywhere else, either.

You are right. It's not there anymore. I got to stop promoting that it is available at that price. I guess I lucked out by getting it when they were selling them off.

Rainer
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:09 AM   #13

RavenFalls wrote:
Quote:

You must not have looked too hard! Someone posted a link for you the other day. Here are a couple of others at Cameta Camera. I go to 35mm lenses and then type Tamron in the search block. They typically list a couple of lenses at a time. You can call direct for aquicker transaction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1730%26fvi%3D1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-28-300mm-...QQcmdZViewItem
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:23 AM   #14

Good thing you posted two links, now I dont feel bad about buying it out from under his feet! I have been agonizing over this lens, mostly because it wont be availible for long at the price. I havent seen any on ebay for the last couple days and thought they were gone! Just bought one, I figure I can probably sell it for a small profit if I change my mind. Thanks for the links.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:53 AM   #15

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Good thing you posted two links, now I dont feel bad about buying it out from under his feet! I have been agonizing over this lens, mostly because it wont be availible for long at the price. I havent seen any on ebay for the last couple days and thought they were gone! Just bought one, I figure I can probably sell it for a small profit if I change my mind. Thanks for the links.
Even when you buy one, it doesn't mean it's the last one. They usually post another one. Eventually they will run out though.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:48 PM   #16

the only thing i like the Sigma 70-300mm over the Tamron 28-300mmfor the is macro abilty. the Sigma will give you 1:2 at a comfortable distance of about a meter(i think...might be less). it makes taking pictures like the one below pretty easy =]

Attached Images

rhowe7op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:16 AM   #17

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Even when you buy one, it doesn't mean it's the last one. They usually post another one. Eventually they will run out though.
Cameta has two more listed with >9 days left on the auction. Believe it or not, I have seen some of these auctions end without a bid.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:13 PM   #18

I'm moving up from my Panasonic FZ-15 that has Leica glass (f/2.8 throught the whole focal length of 35-420mm-equiv.)

With the consumer grade glass, am I going to be happy with the quality of the a100 images (putting aside the fact that affordable lenses are not f/2.8 throughout and I'll have to buy multiple lenses to cover the wide to telephoto range)?

Just to let you guys get a sense of my "standard" for images, I'm not that picky and I'm not a pixel peeper. Specifically, I've used the Nikon D50 and D70 before and have been satisfied with both of their kit lenses.
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:19 PM   #19

Everything I've read suggests the A100 kit lens will be at least the equal of other kit lenses if not better.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:45 PM   #20

Comp625 wrote:
Quote:
I'm moving up from my Panasonic FZ-15 that has Leica glass (f/2.8 throught the whole focal length of 35-420mm-equiv.)

With the consumer grade glass, am I going to be happy with the quality of the a100 images (putting aside the fact that affordable lenses are not f/2.8 throughout and I'll have to buy multiple lenses to cover the wide to telephoto range)?

Just to let you guys get a sense of my "standard" for images, I'm not that picky and I'm not a pixel peeper. Specifically, I've used the Nikon D50 and D70 before and have been satisfied with both of their kit lenses.

As mentioned above, get your hands on the Tamron 28-300 XR 3.5-6.3 for Konica Minolta/Sony before they are gone at the $149 price. That way you cover almost the same range as with your Panny. While the lens is not as fast in the tele-range, you gain several f-stops by being able to step up to ISO1600 at better quality than the FZ has at ISO 400. So that is more than a wash. The image quality of that lens at least matches the kit lens and even the Leica on the FZ's. I have sold my FZ30 after getting the KM5D with the Tamron 28-300.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries